NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
suplexberry

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by suplexberry » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:33 pm

Oh, Karl Anderson & Gallows did the Stone Cold podcast and they briefly talked about Tama, Anderson said "he just signed a new 5 year deal" and joked that because Rocky (who was in the room but not on mic) was now office and could tell 'em how much the deal was for. So either Tama is signed for another 5 years or he kayfabed Anderson.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:37 pm

This small and subtle Fale v LIJ feud( dating back to the murder of Daryl in the G1) feels like it's there to lay the groundwork for Fale's annual spring push and a title shot against Naito. I love the low key nature of it.

Also NJPW must really want to revel in the awkwardness of Big Redacted's leaks. Putting all four of those guys on a team is schanfraude at its highest.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:26 pm

The only problem with New Japan subtly setting up Fale as a B-show challenger for Naito (assuming of course that Naito does win the title) is that they have absolutely terrible chemistry, as demonstrated in both the 2015 and 2017 G1s. Naito's offense just looks awkward against a big, inflexible guy like Fale. That said, between the whole Fale destroying Darryl thing, Fale being one of only two people to pin Naito in the G1, and Fale now having this intriguing micro-feud with BUSHI the company has done a good job of subtly establishing Fale as a potential New Beginning challenger for Naito.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:01 pm

What's the card tomorrow?

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:11 pm

NJPW World Tag League 2017 Finals

Los Ingobernables (Evil & Sanada) vs. Guerillas Of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tonga Loa)

Chaos (Kazuchika Okada & Will Ospreay) vs. Los Ingobernables (Tetsuya Naito & Hiromu Takahashi)

Chaos (Rocky Romero, Sho & Yoh) vs. Bullet Club (Kenny Omega, Nick Jackson & Matt Jackson)

Kushida & Kota Ibushi vs. Bullet Club (Cody & Marty Scurll)

Chaos (Yoshi-Hashi, Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii & Toru Yano) vs. Suzuki-Gun (Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr. & El Desparado)

Death Juice (Sami Callihan & Juice Robinson) vs. Best Friends (Chuckie T & Berretta)

Bad Luck Fale vs. Bushi

Jeff Cobb, Michael Elgin & War Machine (Raymond Rowe & Hanson) vs. Bullet Club (Leo Tonga, Yujiro Takahashi, Chase Owens & Hangman Page)

Togi Makabe, David Finlay, Hirai Kawato, Katsuya Kitamura & Henare vs. Jushin “Thunder” Liger, Manabu Nakanishi, Yuji Nagata, Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Frank Olson wrote:The only problem with New Japan subtly setting up Fale as a B-show challenger for Naito (assuming of course that Naito does win the title) is that they have absolutely terrible chemistry, as demonstrated in both the 2015 and 2017 G1s. Naito's offense just looks awkward against a big, inflexible guy like Fale. That said, between the whole Fale destroying Darryl thing, Fale being one of only two people to pin Naito in the G1, and Fale now having this intriguing micro-feud with BUSHI the company has done a good job of subtly establishing Fale as a potential New Beginning challenger for Naito.
Yeah... Ingobernable Naito vs Fale is pretty shitty. I figured they were just not going to give Fale his briefcase shot because the match sucked so bad, but with the way things are going he seems to be a very likely candidate to challenge at New Beginning.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Omega v Jericho angle was outstanding

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:21 pm

The updates to WK12 and cards for this weekend's Road To shows will be announced early tomorrow morning. I'd like to think that since Jericho is over there he could have a showcase match against a Hangman Page or other lower-level BC guy. He's pretty much guaranteed to be on the shows I would think.

Them not mentioning White/Tanahashi and basically sweeping it under the rug has me concerned as to whether the match is still happening. If they couldn't have Tana come out to cut a promo, do a video gimmick, be a guest announcer, etc then they could have at least had White come out and join a faction or release another vignette. White himself said he was going to be on the show before Tana pulled out, so I'm pretty nervous about the match's status. If Tana does pull out, only person I can see replacing him is Makabe or Juice (because Sekigun) or maybe Ishii (which would be baller).

I'm not sick of Suzuki's reign yet so I'm hoping he wins at WK so we get a fresh bald Goto and Suzuki's reign can end in a meaningful way when not-Goto takes the title. I'm also very happy with the WTL winners even if the WTL Final wasn't that good. Gedo has two shows to screw it up, but right now LIJ vs KES sounds pretty good to me.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:08 am

I'm shocked (but not at all disappointed) that LIJ won the Tag League. Some people here were predicting that LIJ would drop the 6-man titles prior to the Dome, and it does indeed look like Fale and G.O.D. might be the ones to take it from them. The Fale and BUSHI run-ins hurt the overall quality of the Tag League finals match, but the crowd was into it and I think EVIL/SANADA/BUSHI vs. Fale/G.O.D. could be a fun match on one of the upcoming Road To shows.

I really hope they stick to just K.E.S. vs. EVIL/SANADA for Wrestle Kingdom. I still feel like there's a chance that they add War Machine and/or G.O.D. (if G.O.D. aren't the ones to team with Fale to challenge for the 6-man belts), but for right now this feels like they are setting up a title run for LIJ. The ovation for EVIL during the Tag League finals was really something. They've done such a tremendous job elevating him over this past year. I really think that a long, dominant reign for EVIL and SANADA could finally elevate the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles to at least a B-show headlining position, so I hope that is the plan.

That kind of leaves BUSHI out in the cold for Wrestle Kingdom, which is a shame considering how talented and popular he is. (I am praising BUSHI here without having yet watched his match with Fale, which has not exactly been getting rave reviews). But then again if everyone who is talented and popular on the New Japan roster got a featured role on January 4th the show would be about 20 hours long, so it is what it is I guess. I suppose they could also do something where BUSHI teams with two rudos from the original CMLL Ingobernables stable to challenge for the 6-man titles at the Dome.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:43 am

I completely forgot about Jay White vs Tanahashi.... has White been on any shows since he returned? I've been watching on and off and don't recall him being anywhere.

Jericho's appearance was a huge shock. I had it spoiled for me, but still so awesome to see.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:13 pm

White is probably not gonna appear until the Dome, which I think is fine .. or rather, I thought it was fine until now. Bawks has made me worried about this match. Before the Jericho/Omega angle I legit thought it was gonna semi-main, because Tana wouldn't have it any other way. Now we're thinking it might not even happen? My heart can't handle this.

Anyway, I liked the WTL final a lot. Not a match I will remember in two months but definitely fun at the time of viewing. Love how EVIL did the heavy lifting at the end, but I wonder if it signals that they may go for a feud between him and SANADA sooner rather than later. This match is one of the few where I think interference absolutely brought some steam to the proceedings and made it more fun. Don't @ me.

The Jericho angle yesterday and at the press conference was so so good, I think for both new fans, newer fans and us hardcores. It brought a wrinkle that the match needed, it aligned both guys because now Kenny kind of looks like the local hero, and Jericho more of the outsider disturbance. Dream matches can be fun, but I don't think that's the best match for them, in terms of strengths or characterwise. Now it's still a battle of egos but I like that there's more emotion to it now. It also makes it stand out among the other matches, not that I think that is going to be a problem, what with the fourway, the NEVER match having a stip (and SZG involvement I bet).

But let's look on the bright side - no more multi-team tag team title matches! We have been blessed. 2018 will be fine.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:25 pm

What a show. Not a lot of great wrestling but did a great job of building up Kingdom, the Okada/Naito stuff continues to be awesome and Jericho/Omega was incredible. Pushing Jericho as a deranged psychopath who is jealous of Omega's success is a fun route to take and yet another example of Jericho being able to re-invent himself and make it work.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:13 am

Rather than list all the Road To Tokyo Dome cards, I'll list the standouts:

December 17th:

1. Young Lion Cup: Shota Umino vs. Tetsuhiro Yagi
2. Young Lion Cup: Katsuya Kitamura vs. Ren Narita
3. Young Lion Cup: Tomoyuki Oka vs. Hirai Kawato
7. Satoshi Kojima, KUSHIDA, and a Masked Horse vs. Rocky Romero, SHO, & YOH (It's lovely that pro wrestling can extend beyond specie barriers and appeal to the equine :') )
8. NEVER Openweight Trios Titles: LIJ (EVIL, SANADA, & BUSHI) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa)
9. Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Tetsuya Naito & Hiromu Takahashi

December 18th:

1. Young Lion Cup: Shota Umino vs. Ren Narita
2. Young Lion Cup: Tomoyuki Oka vs. Tetsuhiro Yagi
3. Young Lion Cup: Katsuya Kitamura vs. Hirai Kawato (Late contender for MOTY, for sure)
4. KUSHIDA, Tiger Mask IV, Jushin Liger, and a Masked Horse vs. The Suzukigun Juniors. (Look, Suzukigun Juniors are all great together. Plus Liger/Despy/KUSHIDA/Kanemaru interactions are great.)
6. EVIL & SANADA vs. Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi (If they were to throw a wrench in the Tag-Title match, it'd be here.)
9. Kazuchika Okada & Roppongi 3k vs. Tetsuya Naito & Los Peligrosos Dos

The biggest thing sticking out, and I'm going back to my point before, is Tanahashi is absent. Again. White isn't advertised either. They could have an angle between two matches on one of these shows, but the silence is pretty worrying. I guess they're waiting until the last minute to see if Tanahashi can make it, like they did when he dropped out of the ladder match on a random BoSJ show, but we'll have to wait and see. This is a very cold build for a very big match.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:16 am

Jacob's Bawks wrote:
3. Young Lion Cup: Katsuya Kitamura vs. Hirai Kawato (Late contender for MOTY, for sure)
Yes, I am really looking forward to this. I already made my top 10 but to salvage the situation, if this does end up being an awesome match, I'll just make a different top ten of my favorite Hirai Kawato matches of the year.

Also goddammit Bawks, you're making me superworried about this White build now. Logically thinking, though, it's going to be third from the top and even if Tana can't bump, he can surely give Tokyo Sports or Weekly Pro Wrestling an interview on the next three weeks to build it. Plus what's the story, we know it already: young lion returns, goes for the legend. It's still a Tanahashi match at the Dome. I don't think it matters if casuals get superhyped for it, if it delivers as a match, it'll be hype, and those of us who've watched White from his first NJPW young lion match to this point are going to be invested, regardless of how many promos they cut or don't cut before Jan 4th.

Also, let's say Tana is down and out and can't make a Super Ace recovery in time for the Dome. Sucks for Jay but he can do something on the 5th to redeem himself, or they can put in another guy and make it a Special Singles Match (I miss those). Against a guy like Nagata (makes sense, he's also a dojo trainer&mentor) or Ishii (great match guaranteed, and while Ishii is built for losses, White would still look great).

Gedo doesn't give up on his pushes: double so when it's one of their own guys. A friend of mine who's been watching a bit longer than I have made the point that if he doesn't get over at the Dome, oh well, he'll get over by Dominion.

There, I successfully talked my way out of being worried.

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:05 pm

suplexberry wrote:
Jacob's Bawks wrote:
Yes, I am really looking forward to this. I already made my top 10 but to salvage the situation, if this does end up being an awesome match, I'll just make a different top ten of my favorite Hirai Kawato matches of the year.

Also goddammit Bawks, you're making me superworried about this White build now. Logically thinking, though, it's going to be third from the top and even if Tana can't bump, he can surely give Tokyo Sports or Weekly Pro Wrestling an interview on the next three weeks to build it. Plus what's the story, we know it already: young lion returns, goes for the legend. It's still a Tanahashi match at the Dome. I don't think it matters if casuals get superhyped for it, if it delivers as a match, it'll be hype, and those of us who've watched White from his first NJPW young lion match to this point are going to be invested, regardless of how many promos they cut or don't cut before Jan 4th.

Also, let's say Tana is down and out and can't make a Super Ace recovery in time for the Dome. Sucks for Jay but he can do something on the 5th to redeem himself, or they can put in another guy and make it a Special Singles Match (I miss those). Against a guy like Nagata (makes sense, he's also a dojo trainer&mentor) or Ishii (great match guaranteed, and while Ishii is built for losses, White would still look great).

Gedo doesn't give up on his pushes: double so when it's one of their own guys. A friend of mine who's been watching a bit longer than I have made the point that if he doesn't get over at the Dome, oh well, he'll get over by Dominion.

There, I successfully talked my way out of being worried.
When Jay's return got overshadowed by Kenny and Jericho, maybe what's why they shifted emphasis towards Jericho and Omega being a main event. The way that match is being built there's no way it goes on before Tanahashi and Jay. Having Tanahashi away could be part of that plan. Tanahashi has done this shit so many times it's very difficult to buy him being so injured he can't wrestle. The only reason I might buy it is because Jay was pulled from the cards and is probably coming in cold for the dome, which isn't ideal.

Even if Tanahashi can't wrestle, I can't imagine not having a segment where Tanahashi limps out to the ring and explains what's going on, then Jay comes out and beats the shit out of him. That has to happen if there isn't a match between the two.

Your friend is right, I think the important thing for Jay is to have a great match, and with a fired up Tanahashi who's probably not happy about not being in the main or semi-main spot. It'll be difficult not to, and he's too talent not to. Regardless of whether the match occurs or not (it probably still will) he'll be major focus on the 5th when it comes to seeing what faction he joins, or if he forms his own.