NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Danwaka

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Danwaka » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:35 am

Leo C wrote:
mlev76 wrote:Watching the final match of today's show and it struck me as amazing/horrible that being a pothead gets one denied the right to compete but being an accused domestic abuser does not.

And I fully understand the very strict cultural reasons why the former is a problem, but still...
Am I missing something or are you referring to Honma? If so, I think the key word is "accused". Nothing was proven there. If there was solid evidence and/or he went to court I really think NJPW would've handled it differently.
I think he was talking about Sami Callihan getting accused of it by his ex-wife.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:55 am

Night 2
The Best Friends vs. G.o.D. A better showing of Chucky T's talents than night one, but nothing more than a decent match. Tama and Loa are at there best when the work stiff or use hardcore wrestling tactics and Baretta is at his best when darn near tries to kill himself in-ring. This didn't happen for the most part, but enough happened for me to like it.
Elgin & Cobb vs. Ishii & Yano (Chaos) The Elgin and Yano spots continue to be funny (to me at least) and Elgin, Cobb and Ishii in the same ring doing power stuff was awesome. Again a decent match, but I was hoping for a bit more.

Nothing must watch between the bells, but I'd still say give them a watch if you interested in Cobb and Chucky T's WTL match debuts and Cobb's interaction with Ishii.

VoiceofLegacy

Post by VoiceofLegacy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:34 am

Leo C wrote:
mlev76 wrote:I really liked the main event. The guys worked very well together. I enjoyed Sami's performance; I really don't mind people wrestling in street clothes as long as it's only a couple guys on the roster and I also don't mind the spitting and such. I did hate that stupid double stunner spot and I could do with less kissing in wrestling matches, but he was alright.
I hated the street clothes, the spitting, and the kissing. I watch NJPW to get away from Western garbage. I hate that NJPW just keeps adding more of it.
Hit me up on Facebook, all I discuss is wrestling- Adam Leavelle (Wrestling Done Right) and at www.wrestlingdoneright.com

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:46 pm

Listening to Jericho on Jim Ross' show and Jesus does he love himself. Not that I forgot that but man, he legit thinks that his match is both the undisputed main event AND the best match on the show.

Well, I guess it's better than the contrary.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:02 pm

Guilherme Jaeger wrote:Listening to Jericho on Jim Ross' show and Jesus does he love himself. Not that I forgot that but man, he legit thinks that his match is both the undisputed main event AND the best match on the show.

How much though was this Chris Irvine speaking or Chris Jericho (the wrestling character)? Whilst I'm sure he does have a pretty high opinion of himself, he's also someone who clearly likes to blur the lines between kayfabe and reality. Whether he's a heel or a face, Chris Jericho the wrestling character is egotistical and would have the confidence to believe that he is the biggest star on the show and that he will go out there and have the best match.

But if he really does believe that- all real New Japan fans, whether they are from Japan or from the West clearly know what the main event is- that being Okada vs Naito.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:08 pm

If he lays an egg at the Dome expect him to passive-aggressively RT praise and say on his radio show say "fans are calling it one of my best ever matches".

Goat

Post by Goat » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:21 am

Intellectually I know that kind of thing shouldn't bother me at all, but I'm avoiding anything about Jericho vs Omega that I can because I know it would drive me up a wall anyway.

Like I was indignant that people thought Kurt Angle was IWGP Champion 10 years ago. I would be all no Yuji Nagata is the real champion. Looking back that I reacted like the worst kind of stereotypical internet fan embarrasses me, but I can feel the same reactions bubbling up if I don't avoid it.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:52 pm

I'm kind of the same way, Goat. I pop in on WWE stuff occasionally, but that bubble of fans and wrestlers sometimes just really gets to me.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:43 pm

Thought the last set of B-Block Tag League matches, posted up weren't at all bad today. Nothing blow away amazing but I thought all four matches were all pretty solid. Even though I know they're probably going to lose every match, I'm really enjoying the Finlay-Kitamura team. The B-Block is definitely going to be less of a chore to sit through than the A-Block, if like me you're a glutton for punishment. NJPW is the one promotion I watch warts and all, as opposed to just cherry picking the best stuff.

The fact that they dimmed the lights in the venue, also helped with the presentation. Sometimes seeing that they are running community gyms/halls for these slightly more meaningful 'Road To' shows doesn't always give off the best impression.

rollup

Post by rollup » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:41 am

WK12 has already sold out 20000 advance sales tickets , looks like 30k is a possibility

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:39 pm

Guilherme Jaeger wrote:Listening to Jericho on Jim Ross' show and Jesus does he love himself. Not that I forgot that but man, he legit thinks that his match is both the undisputed main event AND the best match on the show.

Depending on who is delivering this message it can seem pretty crass but it's Jericho. He's very much the "rockstar" character and a guy who always thinks he's the biggest deal in the world. I don't think in actuality Chris Irvine is as delusional, but I don't know, I kind of enjoy that confidence from a character like him.

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:09 pm

I think his case is one of those "dialed up to eleven" things. The lines are kinda blurred. Of course he's not his delusional character, but there is some irrational confidence there. All you have to do is to read his book or check his outside of wrestling appearances to parse through it. Which I guess it's a necessary attribute for him to be this successful and normally I like it. This time, I got worked, I guess. It irritated me a little. I guess it's the nasty purist in me talking.

Goat

Post by Goat » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:18 am

There is something funny about it being Naito finally getting his Dome main event, drawing the best house they've drawn there in years, and end up losing credit because a bunch of people parachute in and don't know any better.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:06 pm

Today's WTL show at Korakuen Hall was awesome, the Main and Semi-Main especially.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:40 pm

Glad Chuck Taylor is killing it