NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
H.U.S.T.L.E.

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:16 pm

Interesting tidbits from Colt Cabana's podcast with The Elite, regarding a potential split of Bullet Club. The quote below is Nick & Matt going back and forth, so I've just transcribed it all together.

"Trust us. The 3 of us have said 'Let's split,' but no one will allow that because the merchandise is too big. So that's the reason why it hasn't split, and probably won't split up. I thought the final straw was when AJ, Gallows and Karl left. When they left, that's why we formed the Elite because we were planning the next phase. And as soon as we did that, everything skyrocketed back up and we're like, 'Whoa, let's ride this now.' It's easily the biggest the BC has ever been, and it's my favorite version of the BC by far."

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:24 am

It just occurred to me that the moment I realized EVIL was getting better and better reactions was when I saw some girl at Korakuen dressed up as him. Maybe fangirls really do make the stars.

So fantastic to see some subtitles finally! Not sure why the videos are unlisted (ie don't pop up on subscriber feeds) but still, really great to see.That Hiromu promo, wow. This guy hasn't lost a beat since his re-debut when it comes to promos.

TNAmarkFromIndia

Post by TNAmarkFromIndia » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:26 pm

New Japan Pro Wrestling is set to air in India

Discovery Communications has announced that they have agreed to a deal with the promotion to broadcast New Japan Pro Wrestling on their new channel DSport, which launched earlier this year in India. This will bring NJPW to over 70 million homes across the nation, a level comparable to Impact Wrestling’s potential US market on POP TV of 75 million homes. By comparison, the USA Network (home to WWE's Raw and Smackdown) is available in 96 million homes in the US.

Larrikn

Post by Larrikn » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:18 pm

I posted in the AUS thread but it bears mentioning here as well:
In an act of what i assume is good faith between MCW and NJPW, Mr. Juicy has joined the Bullet Club being sworn in by Fale post match.
Please Follow me on Twitter.
I need it.

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:57 pm

TNAmarkFromIndia wrote:New Japan Pro Wrestling is set to air in India

Discovery Communications has announced that they have agreed to a deal with the promotion to broadcast New Japan Pro Wrestling on their new channel DSport, which launched earlier this year in India. This will bring NJPW to over 70 million homes across the nation, a level comparable to Impact Wrestling’s potential US market on POP TV of 75 million homes. By comparison, the USA Network (home to WWE's Raw and Smackdown) is available in 96 million homes in the US.
This is pretty big. I get why NJPW wants to develop a USA presence, but I always thought them having a stronghold in the Asia and Oceania markets would be the true deciding factors of a global expansion for them.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 am

DSport picked up Lucha Underground too a few months back, so I would guess this is more a "TV network is really into purchasing wrestling programming" story more than a "NJPW is definitely trying to compete in India" one.

frankpellow

Post by frankpellow » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Really enjoyed the Young Lions' Cuo matches from the show this morning.
Oka v Ren was fantastic imo. Not sure they'd be able to work this sort of match in front of a bigger crowd but it built so well. I feel it's the best either guy has looked in New Japan thus far.
Kitamura v Umino was very good. Kitamura has an aura and when he cocks his arm ready for a brutal chop it's great. Umino took it to him and impressed as well. There was an interesting dynamic with father (red shoes) and son (Umino) in the ring together. I'm not sure if i am reading too much but it added further intrigue for me as RS seemed a bit lenient with breaking in the corner etc. Love how Kitamura made his spear into more of a running spinebuster.
Kawato v Yagi was competitive and good. Maybe it could/should have gone a bit longer but they did some good stuff. Interesting to see Kawato excelling outside of the underdog role in the multi man tags.
The crowd has a great bond to all the young lions and i think they are all making progress to big things.
Can't wait for the next round of YL Cup matches next month.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:24 am

Wow, compare Oka control periods to Kitamura control periods. The former bore me but Kitamura is actually being pretty entertaining. Oka's not bad but he's taking time to put the pieces together. Kitamura is clicking them in place faster.

Narita was giving Oka so much fire and even some disrespect! Loved it.

Shota got some incredible heat when he shoved Red Shoes. He actually showed a lot in this match. I'm not a big guy enthusiast so I actually like Kitamura when he sells and allows his lack of experience show in matches. It makes his comebacks more entertaining for me, though some might argue it doesn't go with the character he should be portraying.

Yagi vs Kawato was probably the least good of the three YLC matches. There were a number of awkward exchanges or landings or whatever and I don't know if it's just Yagi being inexperienced or whether it's because Kawato has expanded his moveset so much over the last few months he is not yet comfortable hitting all the moves he can hit. Also when you lock in a cross armbreaker I feel like the match should just end, otherwise it seems like you're using a move you can't execute properly. Which isn't a good look. I think Yagi has fire, though.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Random question based on this week's AOW with Jay White:

Jay noted that while on excursion, NJPW was paying him salary. So, when he wrestles in ROH or elsewhere, is he also being paid locally? Or does New Japan cover the cost/do those promotions get talent for free?

Curious if anyone knows the general rule or if it depends on the promotion/wrestler.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm assuming they get paid whatever the other workers get paid. The NJPW salary probably covers living expenses but it's not like they're making bank. Also, if they would work for free you'd think promoters would've been all over them but it seems like everybody has worked sparingly over their excursions.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:54 pm

suplexberry wrote:Also when you lock in a cross armbreaker I feel like the match should just end, otherwise it seems like you're using a move you can't execute properly.
Yeah, this kinda bothers me too. Granted, it's wrestling, a lot of wrestling moves if applied for real would kill a dude, this and that, but the armbar specifically translates very well to wrestling as a move that should end things instantly, as the crowd always gasps when it's fully applied and IN GENERAL people try to avoid extending their arm, but sadly not everytime. I think it would be cool if some random match just ended with an armbar (something on the undercard, with young lions especially it'd be very easy to do, not trying to go full Inoki here or anything) to establish it more as the killer move it's kinda recognized as. I do think wrestling in general should have more non-finishing moves ending matches though, not just the armbar.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Watching the final match of today's show and it struck me as amazing/horrible that being a pothead gets one denied the right to compete but being an accused domestic abuser does not.

And I fully understand the very strict cultural reasons why the former is a problem, but still...

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:03 pm

I mean, the pothead stuff is publically confirmed. The domestic abuse thing kind of needs a court of law to authenticate it. That said, it's kind of not the discussion to be having on a wrestling forum of all places, even if I do think Sami probably did do it all.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Night 1:
Kawato & Umino vs. Narita & Yagi: A decent enough opener. Good, clean work from the Young Lions that accomplished its mission of making Kawato look like a million bucks.
War Machine & Oka vs. G.o.D. & Leo Tonga (Bullet Club): Good match overall, War Machine killing it as always, Oka stuck out like a sore thumb wearing their costume. It must feel good for the sons of Meng to work together like this especially since their roads to get here were so different.
Elgin, Cobb, Finlay & Kitamura vs. Ishii, Yano & The Best Friends (Chaos): Early Elgin and Yano interactions were pretty funny to me and Cobb came out there looking like a dynamo who I only really knew as Matanza in Lucha Underground. A decent that was light on Yano lulz and nothing else of note to replace it. Chucky T's lukewarm reception also isn't a good start.
The New Japan Dads vs. Fale, Owens, Yujiro & Page (Bullet Club): Great but predictable multi-man. If Omega is John Belushi, then Owens is Jim Belushi, not as great in heel comedy spots, but funny and getting better. Great effort by all, though Nakanishi clearly showed his age here.
Tanahashi, Makabe & Henare vs. K.E.S. & El Desperado (Suzuki-gun): Hard-hitting baddersry that makes me remember why I love K.E.S. While Tana and Makabe were chillin' most of the match, when they got in, they were fantastic. Henare is a damn good Morton and I like his look now that he's almost a big as Makabe. Despy got lost in the shuffle, but maybe next time.
Okada, Ospreay & Gedo (Chaos) vs. Naito, Bushi & Hiromu (L.i.J.): Match, stupendous, Ospreay, amazing, water, wet. My biggest takeaway was Okada trolling Naito post-match and Naito's bullying of Hiromu. I can't image Hiromu puts up with this crap too much longer, but where does he go if he stands up for himself?
Goto & YOSHI-HASHI (Chaos) vs. Suzuki & Iizuka (Suzuki-gun): Paint by numbers match. YOSHI-Hashi has the workmate, but not the credibility, Iizuka has the best gimmick ever, but is not as good or young as he used to be. The match had that “meh” vibe about it with Goto pinning Suzuki finally popping me.
Death Juice vs. EVIL & SANADA (L.i.J.): Speaking in a bubble, Callihan impressed me greatly in this main event contest. His big boots are spot on and he has the right amount of insanity, agility and brutality to get this crowd behind him. Juice and L.i.J. more than held up their parts of the match and the upset finish was exciting and a great way to end this show.

I recommend the Main event and TanaMakaNare vs. K.E.Spy to watch if you are short on time.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:31 pm

mlev76 wrote:Watching the final match of today's show and it struck me as amazing/horrible that being a pothead gets one denied the right to compete but being an accused domestic abuser does not.

And I fully understand the very strict cultural reasons why the former is a problem, but still...
Am I missing something or are you referring to Honma? If so, I think the key word is "accused". Nothing was proven there. If there was solid evidence and/or he went to court I really think NJPW would've handled it differently.

I watched the 8-man tag with Chuck and Cobb. Granted, it's just one match, but I think Chuck is gonna end up as one of those guys that just don't click in Japan despite being very fun in America (such as Jay Lethal, for example). I think he doesn't want to go full comedy but also can't completely ignore it and that's kind of a hard balance to achieve. We'll see. That Awful Waffle on Kitamura looked deadly in a bad way. Cobb was obviously beloved because he's a big strong dude who suplexed everyone.

SZKG/CHAOS was fine. I enjoyed it. I do love Iizuka's antics. I saw Goto pinning Suzuki a mile away, as did everyone who watched the Power Struggle backstage confrontation. I'm really not looking forward to them at the Dome. Could have a very good match, not sure they will as with every other Suzuki title match these days.

I really liked the main event. The guys worked very well together. I enjoyed Sami's performance; I really don't mind people wrestling in street clothes as long as it's only a couple guys on the roster and I also don't mind the spitting and such. I did hate that stupid double stunner spot and I could do with less kissing in wrestling matches, but he was alright.