NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
rollup

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by rollup » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:38 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
Tigerkinney wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:
I believe Joe went ****1/2 in our review on the site. I am well below that and pretty disappointed by it overall. Of course, disappointed in an Okada main event is like ***1/2-**** but he's raised that bar.

I thought it had a lot of fun work in it and good storytelling it just went WAY too long and the last half of the match felt like a drag.
I'm around **** on Okada vs EVIL- I can understand Joe's enthusiasm for the match as the work and storytelling was actually very good but it could have been edited down a bit (Does every IWGP title defence have to be an 'epic' that exceeds 30 minutes?!) and it also unfortunately suffered from the fact that the winner was a foregone conclusion, though to a degree Naito vs Ishii suffered from the same problem. New Japan need to find a way to make the stretch between G1 and Wrestle Kingdom to be less predictable- because as much as the wrestlers may have their working boots on, a predictable result does take away from the experience- at least for me it does. They either need to scrap the G-1 winner challenges at Wrestle Kingdom idea or pull the trigger on someone winning the G-1 but losing the title shot- pretty soon- as in next year.
This isn't going to change unless these predictable result matches stop filling Sumo Hall for KOPW. When fans reject these cards, the company will be forced to respond with more compelling matchups in the G1-WK "down" period"

It's also entirely possible that the NJPW fanbase at large doesn't look at these matches through the same lens that we do. This is a super hardcore forum. Random Joe Fan in Tokyo might have bought into EVIL vs Ishii as a realistic match for WK, as hard as that is to comprehend. Or at least enough Random Joe Fans to put almost 10,000 people in the building.

having been there i think the Japanese generally attend to cheer their favourites and are not going to over-analyse things

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:49 am

Joe Lanza wrote: This isn't going to change unless these predictable result matches stop filling Sumo Hall for KOPW. When fans reject these cards, the company will be forced to respond with more compelling matchups in the G1-WK "down" period"

It's also entirely possible that the NJPW fanbase at large doesnt look at these matches through the same lens that we do. This is a super hardcore forum. Random Joe Fan in Tokyo might have bought into EVIL vs Ishii as a realistic match for WK, as hard as that is to comprehend. Or at least enough Random Joe Fans to put almost 10,000 people in the building.
Fair point, only really the most hardcore fans such as the one's that post on this forum, are going to care if things are being kept fresh creatively- the bottom line is that it is all about ticket sales and as you said, as long as they keep filling big buildings like Sumo Hall they can be as predictable as they wish to be.

It's the same with say people who think Bullet Club are stale (I'll hold my hands up and say I've been there with that complaint), they aren't going to split them up, until they begin to see a drop in merchandise sales. You have your own personal issues with Hiromu being saddled with this Daryl gimmick- but as long as they see lots of Hiromu/L.I.J fangirls in the crowd clutching 'Daryl's'- they see something that is 'over'.

NJPW aren't unique in this regard, I think most forms of entertainment (not just wrestling) milk something that works, until it's so stale they start to turn their fans/viewership away.

frankpellow

Post by frankpellow » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:47 pm

I see there is another Lions Project show on 16th November with the next round of Young Lions' cup and then two more rounds on the Korauken Road to TOKYO DOME shows in December. Unless i have missed a round that makes me wonder if the final might feature on the dome. As a pre-broadcast treat for NJPWworld subscribers maybe?
credit:https://www.njpw1972.com/schedule/

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:23 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
This isn't going to change unless these predictable result matches stop filling Sumo Hall for KOPW. When fans reject these cards, the company will be forced to respond with more compelling matchups in the G1-WK "down" period"

It's also entirely possible that the NJPW fanbase at large doesnt look at these matches through the same lens that we do. This is a super hardcore forum. Random Joe Fan in Tokyo might have bought into EVIL vs Ishii as a realistic match for WK, as hard as that is to comprehend. Or at least enough Random Joe Fans to put almost 10,000 people in the building.

Or maybe they're just in it for the work rate.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:30 pm

frankpellow wrote:I see there is another Lions Project show on 16th November with the next round of Young Lions' cup and then two more rounds on the Korauken Road to TOKYO DOME shows in December. Unless i have missed a round that makes me wonder if the final might feature on the dome. As a pre-broadcast treat for NJPWworld subscribers maybe?
credit:https://www.njpw1972.com/schedule/
There's another Lion's Gate show on late December in which the tournament should end.

rollup

Post by rollup » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:05 pm

Lawsoncomedy wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:

Or maybe they're just in it for the work rate.
I think its not just NJPW but the puro companies fanbase is around 40% female (or even higher in some others) who are they to watch their favourite boyz and also the companies book to their markets (hometown hero main events or Tanahashi endings etc)

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:59 pm

The director of USA operations says there will be a major announcement made at Power Struggle. Any guesses?

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Has to be some sort of "NJPW will be at Mania week" or other NJPW USA show announcement. I don't think they unveil full plans until WK but this is a good time to do a heads up.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:07 pm

I've worked myself into the idea of KUSHIDA moving up to heavyweight for the dome. I'd much rather see him play valiant babyface trying to out grapple Suzuki for the Never title than be in the 3 way with Ospreay and Hiromu. KUSHIDA has done all he can as a Jr, but he's also great and deserves a spotlight match.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:51 pm

EvanDeadlySins wrote:The director of USA operations says there will be a major announcement made at Power Struggle. Any guesses?

I've seen speculation that this is Shibata related.

1.) I don't know what the announcement is, but I can confirm that it isn't concerning Shibata.

2.) That doesn't mean Shibata won't be at the show, for those of you who would like to still hold on to hope he comes back/works Dome. It just means that this particular announcement Carroll is alluding to is something different entirely.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:43 pm

We were told it's US related and that's all we were given.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:18 pm

Maybe not as good as their match from last December, but Nakanishi and Nagata worked hard and had another nice match.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:56 am

I really enjoyed Yagi, Umino & Narita vs SZG - maybe it's the somewhat cringey stiffness of SZG against young lions or maybe just the sheer fire and energy in the match, but it was a lot of fun to watch.

I agree last year's Nagata vs Nakanishi bout was better but they still pulled out all the stops. I'm a huge sucker for continuity so really just warms my heart to see these guys who've shared 25 years together. I joked to a group chat that in 20 years we're getting this kind of event for Sho Tanaka and Yohei Komatsu and I'll be a weeping mess when it happens.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Oh my days Hiromu & BUSHI vs Dragon Lee & Titan from Korakuen Hall was today was amazing. Hiromu just turned back the clock 6 months at became one of the best in the world again.

Roppongi 3K vs KUSHIDA and Kawato was also great.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:14 am

This Korakuen show confirmed that my most anticipated match for the rest of the year is not Tanahashi vs Ibushi, or Ospreay vs Hiromu, or even Super Jr Tag Tournament final at Power Struggle - it's Dec 18th, Young Lion Cup match between Kawato vs Kitamura. Because they're clearly the most over YL's at this point.

Kawato was just incredible in his match with Kushida against RPG 3K. Jojo made the point in his review nobody at Korakuen knew how to react to RPG3K. I love them but I too struggle. They're good, but they're kind of jerks? They are kind of perfect for Chaos, because that is literally the current form of Okada's character but I guess it might take a while for the audience to warm to them, as popular as they were as YL's. Maybe Rocky as a manager is a tool to do that - Rocky is very likable.

I'd write more about the main event but am in a rush - anyway, agree Titan needs to be invited back on the regular.