NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Frank Olson

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:27 pm

I really think that Okada vs. Naito and Omega vs. Ibushi are basically set in stone for Wrestle Kingdom, although it will certainly be interesting to see how exactly they set up the Omega and Ibushi match, which title it will ultimately be for, and whether it will wind up being the semi-main event. My guess is that Shibata will be Tanahashi's challenger for the IC Title. I don't want to discount the seriousness of Shibata's injuries, but it really seems like this might have been a case where he was banged up to the point where they knew he would need surgery and they planned the Okada match to be a dramatic but temporary sendoff for him while he recovered. The whole career-threatening situation seems a little too dramatically convenient - dare I say romantic - to have coincided precisely with the big Sakura Genesis match.

In regards to EVIL I'm betting that he, SANADA, and BUSHI will be defending the NEVER 6-man Titles on January 4th, probably in another “get everybody on this absurdly loaded roster on the show” gauntlet match. If my prediction turns out to be correct then I'm sure that some people will be annoyed with EVIL not being in a more prominent spot on the show, but I think he'll be fine. I think the fans see him as being on a different level ever since he became the first person to beat Okada in a singles match in over a year, so New Japan can pull the trigger on him as a main event guy whenever they want or (more likely) use him as a believable gatekeeper for the foreseeable future.

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:24 pm

this seems weird to me but I don't really know what this means exactly to be honest.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:51 pm

Kidani is basically stepping down from the head of the company to focus on Bushiroad's live events properties, which includes NJPW and a Kickboxing promotion.

Goat

Post by Goat » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Daryl got married

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:57 am

Matt Cross was headed to Japan last night (or was it this morning?) according to Instagram... does he normally wrestle in Japan? Wonder if he'll be one of the mystery guys taking on Funky Future...

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:28 am

John The Drummer wrote:Matt Cross was headed to Japan last night (or was it this morning?) according to Instagram... does he normally wrestle in Japan? Wonder if he'll be one of the mystery guys taking on Funky Future...

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:55 pm

Any news on ticket sales for KoPW, Evan? It is going to be very interesting whether this one sells out or not (or maybe it already did, I haven't followed the news recently), on one hand I would say this is a stronger show than Sakura Genesis and last year's KOPW as well, on the other though - Naito vs Ishii is like their 10th singles match, and EVIL in the main event is a big question mark - they sold out Osaka G1 show with Okada/EVIL as the only big match few weeks in advance, but this is Ryogoku we are talking about and at this point they could headline Edion Arena show with Juice vs Makabe and it would probably come close to selling out.

Also do we know whether Roppongi 3k is Rocky and someone, or is it an entirely new team and Rocky will be a manager or sth like that?

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:21 pm

Rainmaker_F7 wrote:Any news on ticket sales for KoPW, Evan? It is going to be very interesting whether this one sells out or not (or maybe it already did, I haven't followed the news recently), on one hand I would say this is a stronger show than Sakura Genesis and last year's KOPW as well, on the other though - Naito vs Ishii is like their 10th singles match, and EVIL in the main event is a big question mark - they sold out Osaka G1 show with Okada/EVIL as the only big match few weeks in advance, but this is Ryogoku we are talking about and at this point they could headline Edion Arena show with Juice vs Makabe and it would probably come close to selling out.

Also do we know whether Roppongi 3k is Rocky and someone, or is it an entirely new team and Rocky will be a manager or sth like that?
I watched the Kobe backstage promos and Rocky made it clear that he was just a coach.

Goat

Post by Goat » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:25 pm

Surprised more isn't being made of EVIL's entrance. I loved it.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:55 am

I haven't had time to watch the undercard yet aside from the Jr Tag Title match (these Monday shows are not convenient), but everything I've seen from King of Pro Wrestling is pretty stellar.

The Jr Tag Title match was awesome. I wasn't that impressed with what I saw of Sho & Yo's excursion, but they really looked like stars here, more than holding their own in a fast-paced athletic match against two of the best and most popular juniors on the roster.

Tanahashi/Makabe vs. Ibushi/Juice was surprisingly strong. For all of the jokes about Tanahashi and Makabe taking it easy in meaningless tag matches they actually worked pretty hard here. Tanahashi and Ibushi's interactions were great, and Juice pinning Makabe made the match seem meaningful beyond just being build for the Power Struggle main event.

The Jr Title match was my favorite of the night. KUSHIDA and Ospreay are such perfectly matched opponents, and they kept up a relentless pace for the entire match. The story of KUSHIDA repeatedly countering all of Ospreay's best stuff into arm attacks, only for Ospreay to fight through it out of sheer determination, was very well-told in the ring even if the build to the match didn't make a ton of sense. I'm not crazy about Hiromu looking like a goof again in the post-match, although Scurll interrupting him to make the challenge was very well-done from a production standpoint (I literally didn't see him coming until he was right there, snapping Hiromu's fingers).

I'm one of the few who found Ishii and Naito's matches from this summer a tad overrated, but I thought they really found a great groove in their match today. This one was all action, with some great groggy selling from Ishii. They might have overdone the Destino kickouts a bit toward the end, but overall this was a great match.

Okada and EVIL did a great job playing off of the most memorable spots from their G1 match (the chair thrown over the barricade, the Darkness Falls onto the stack of chairs, the series of Rainmaker/STO counters, etc.). I ultimately liked the match from the summer better, just because it's inherently more exciting to see an underdog overcome the ace of the company than it is to see the ace reassert his dominance, but there was some really excellent storytelling in this match.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:46 am

Frank really nails the show above here so I just want to comment about both the main event and semi main event.

This Naito v Ishii match was definitely better than the two very good matches they had over the summer. Ishii in particular started off great with by following Naito pace for pace and attacking Naito during his early match posing. Also the story of Ishii's knee allowed Naito to work more of that awesome body part targeting he does into the match instead of just hitting the big neck spots. Crowd also really burned itself out in this match I think.

Which leads to the main event, which I found entertaining but below the standard the previous two matches had set. I think as soon as Okada and EVIL started off slowly the crowd never found it's gear and it effected the whole match. Aside from the Fale match( which might be the bare minimum to cross the 4 star range of a match I have ever seen) this was the weakest of Okada's defenses. In the end I really wish EVIL had shown a little more killer instinct and they had moved quicker but it's worth seeking out regardless.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:14 am

KOPW did 9,234. Not record-breaking like KOPW last year or Sakura Genesis, but still pretty damn good.

The whole event felt like it was absolutely electrified. Nothing felt like it was just there, everything had that special Ryogoku energy to it, so it was all in all just a great show. Even the early going tags felt like they did something, from Fale vs Hiromu to Suzuki vs Yano and then Juice getting the big surprise pin on Makabe (not as big a win as him pinning Naito at Sakura Genesis but felt big all the same). Neither Makabe nor Tanahashi slouched around in their tag, and Marty getting the win set up what was to come nicely as well.

I love the stupid RPG 3k outfits and the haircuts straight out of a kpop video. I popped huge for them and thankfully so did Sumo Hall. I would highly recommend the WCPW World Cup matches these guys had against Hiromu and Kushida, they're pretty recent, they're available online for free and they showcase what these guys are like nearing the end of their excursions. Here is Sho vs KUSHIDA and here is Hiromu vs Yohei. Gedo willing these guys can actually do some singles stuff as well as dominate the Jr Tag scene, because I think they're great in both capacities.

I thought the jr tag match was a lot of fun. The heavy tag match had good things going for it but I felt like it suffered purely from history - we've seen these guys do a LOT of this stuff together, so none of it lands with the same impact as it perhaps should. So even when watching the event slightly tipsy and in a very receiving mood, I wasn't as into it as I perhaps ought to have been.

KUSHIDA vs Will Ospreay had me going absolutely nuts. Best match they've ever had, quite possibly, had me rooting for Ospreay the entire time, great finish. Will have to rewatch ASAP but this was just incredible.

Ishii vs Naito was definitely a cut above their previous matches this year. I loved the simple story of Ishii's kneeing being targeted throughout the tour but I think this is another match elevated by the great atmosphere. Ryogoku is Naito Country, as it should be.

EVIL vs Okada was a good main event that suffered from length in my eyes, not because what they did was boring at any point but because I think it would've been better as a more compact match. But the finishing stretch was really good, as expected from EVIL, who has just mastered it. Loved EVIL's elevation throughout the tour, and he got a big, cool entrance and the video package before the match helped a lot, too. It feels weird to say because of how goofy the whole gimmick is, that I genuinely buy into it now. It really is amazing.

I have 10,000 word thoughts about Naito vs Okada so I'll type them elsewhere. I am so hyped for WK12.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:51 am

I'm still working through some of the non title matches on the card but whatI have seen so far has all been excellent, so far I have:
Funky Futures V RPG 3K ****
KUSHIDA V Will ****3/4
Naito V Ishii ****1/2
Okada V EVIL ****1/4

The crowd were excellent here too and seemed to be into everything from the get go, EVIL and Okada started out hot but when they slowed it down a bit they lost them and couldn't quite win them back, maybe they should have gone a bit shorter? I think that probably would have suited EVIL and this audience better given that they just wanted to see the Naito stare down by this point. The ref bump didn't bother me too much and the Rana reversal was a cool spot. Overall one of the weaker Title matches of this year but still great.

I agree with the consensus that Ishii V Naito was better than their previous matches this year and recaptured what I loved about their title match in 2016 (Wrestling Dontaku?) Superb match.

Will/ KUSHIDA was phenomenal, these two have absolutely incredible chemistry, I probably slightly preferred their BOSJ match because it felt a touch more "epic" (And I was unspoiled for that one) but this was right up their with it just unbelievable stuff and the crowd loved it, I loved it. One of the very best of this year! Can't wait for the Marty match and the eventual Hiromu (Who was over like crazy after the match) match.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:46 pm

ACH in, Ricochet out, guessing that means what everyone has been guessing.

Also holy hell at Kawato/Kushida pairing, sucks they'll lose to R3K in the first round but that match should be a barnburner. Big match Taichi could strike again in this tournament too, although I guess they lose so we don't get SZG vs SZG in the second round.

SgtBilko84

Post by SgtBilko84 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:18 pm

That left side of the draw has the chance to produce 3 really interesting matches. Could see 3k winning the whole thing and The Bucks coming out to challenge them.

Enough has already been said about KOPW but it was great.

Tana vs Ibushi
Will vs Marty
Yano vs Suzuki

All announced for Power Struggle. Will and Marty have had one of the best in ring feuds going this last few years so I'm expecting a classic.