NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Frank Olson

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:53 am

GuestTimekeeper wrote:Anyone think Juice is going to be in the G1? I haven't seen anyone mention him, and he's been given some high profile matches this year.
I think Juice is definitely in the G1 this year. He's challenged for the NEVER and IC Titles, and the second one was even a main event at a fairly major show, so I think it would be very surprising if he does not wind up in the G1.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:16 am

Would anyone else have preferred SZKG recruiting Ayato Yoshida over ZSJ?

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:36 am

Ayato Yoshida is now Bread Club - regardless of whether he likes or eats Bread Club, he joined in spirit. I really like this guy so much. I watched a bunch of KDojo matches to get hyped about Lion's Gate Project 6 and he shone in each one. I am hyped about this Nagata match, too.

Lion's Gate is always such an easy watch, even if nothing is ever amazing on it. (Maybe apart from that one NOAH vs NJPW tag last year.) I cannot believe I am into Kawato headed for a singles against Jado of all people, but I'm into it. Takuya Nomura got almost zero offense in but you just know he'll be back because he's so good.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:26 pm

Danwaka wrote:Would anyone else have preferred SZKG recruiting Ayato Yoshida over ZSJ?
Yes, if only to get ZSJ away from the blood-sucking leech that is SZKG.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:35 pm

I mean I don't rate ZSJ much, so...

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:55 pm

New Japan debuting yet another young lion at Lion's Gate 7 in Ren Narita.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:41 pm

I'm actually looking forward to Tanahashi and Billy Gunn and it will probably exceed a lot of fans expectations. I get that with this expansion you want to put your best foot forward and I wouldn't have booked Billy for the match myself.

When it comes down to it, I trust Gedo's booking, I trust Tanahashi as the former Ace of New Japan to put on a good match at minimum and I know Billy still a solid worker and this will be the biggest match he's had in a long time, he'll have something to prove (especially if he frequents twitter).

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:36 pm

I'm going to be too serious, and a huge smark, so apologies in advance for this, but I have to vent a little:

I was listening to the Purocast and I unfortunately agree with most of their points about this US show, and I would go further: NJPW is trying to cater to an audience that simply isn't there. They are not at the point where they will attract new viewers with brand name over here (and Billy Gunn and Cody aren't even that). They have to attract with a show. And Billy Gunn and Cody, while good wrestlers, are certainly not gonna give you that New Japan action. So, they are doing a half-measured concession to cater to an hypothetical audience that probably won't even check the show. The guys going there are still the diehards, and they either know the New Japan stars or will be willing to read up on them. The few casuals they do attract are certainly gonna look at them as "Japan TNA" by having WWE has-beens on the main title matches. And no lie, the only expectation I have with this card is that they don't make groan-worthy decisions.

I'm sorry, but I want to see no such thing as a competitive match between Tanahashi and Billy Gunn, that would be a horrible decision, and it will immediately put a ceiling on the new viewer's perception of NJPW as a whole. Anything less than domination by Tanahashi is a disservice to his legacy. I would have no problem from a story standpoint with a Cody reign if they built him up a little more, at least to take the WWE mid-carder stench he still has to me, because he DOES have a following, even though that following doesn't include myself. I'm fine with the match if he loses. But the Billy Gunn match? That has major screw up potential even in him losing.

I wasn't expecting a massive card honestly, certainly not in the level of Damon and Colin. But I feel terribly deflated because I feel they could make some noise, but the best booking possibilities right now look to be the "not terrible" kind, which is not what I expect out of NJPW.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:49 am

I think that the quality of these shows is largely going to depend on the US Title tournament delivering. Naito/Ishii and Omega/Elgin from the first night both have MOTYC potential, and any combination of those four in the finals (which I'm assuming will be the main event of the second night) should make for an amazing match. If the shows end with an amazing match to crown the first ever US Champion I think it will wash away some of that Billy Gunn stink.

That said, I definitely think that the decision to include ROH talents Jay Lethal and Hangman Page in the tournament, especially against each other, is a mistake. I think they are both good wrestlers, but I definitely don't associate them with New Japan, even though they have each appeared on several tours over the past year or so. If it was up to me there wouldn't be any ROH wrestlers on this show (barring of course guys who are equally associated with both brands, like The Young Bucks), not because I have anything against ROH but because I think they should have done as much as they could to distinguish these shows from the War of the Worlds/Global Wars shows.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:46 am

I think there is a segment of the audience that is between casual and hardcore - the kind who know there is a NJPW World but don't subscribe because they can't stream it on their TV thingy of choice (Roku or Apple TV or whatever the fuck). The ones who get annoyed at WWE at a weekly basis and understand all the problems but don't see any good alternatives which are accessible to them, and are intimidated by (to me) minor things. I've mentioned a friend of mine going to Night 2 of these Long Beach shows.. She and her bf went to BAR Wrestling (Joey Ryan's new promotion) thinking Cody was gonna be there (he canceled or smth). So as much as I struggle to get it, he's a draw to someone. With that said, I don't know how big this "middle ground" fanbase is or how to attract it, but I think as hardcores it's easy to lose sight of this segment of fandom. To me navigating a Japanese website or jumping into a promotion I barely know anybody in is no problem. Not the same for others.

But I still agree with the larger point being discussed, which is that NJPW's core strengths are their unique stars, stellar booking and high caliber matches. If they lose sight of those three things, there's no NJPW US beyond year one. I hope they get that. And if you gotta have local talent, start signing up promising up-and-comers from the independents and make them your new Us-based stars. The talent is certainly out there.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:58 am

I think there's a shitload of casual NJPW fans who's only exposure is AXS and ROH. I know a couple and they are definitely fed up WWE fans who can't wait to see what Cody or Gunn can do in NJPW. These people have zero interest in going through the trouble of signing up for an NJPW World subscription through a Japanese language site.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:40 am

Sign up page has been in English for over a year, but that information has obviously not made it into mass awareness. Us English fans can only do so much in terms of promoting.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:28 am

G1 Field:

Tanahashi
Makabe
Kojima
Robinson
Nagata
Elgin
Okada
Goto
Ishii
Yano
YOSHI-HASHI
Naito
EVIL
SANADA
Omega
Fale
Tonga
Suzuki
Sabre
KOTA IBUSHI
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:39 am

Awesome lineup for the G1. Very excited, and surprised, to see Kota Ibushi in the field (I would've even been happy with Tiger Mask W, and I wasn't even expecting that). I'm also very happy to see no Tanga Roa or Yujiro. Glad that Tama Tonga made it. He had a bit of a shaky tournament last year, but I thought it was interesting to see him develop confidence as the tournament went on.

The announcement of Ibushi obviously got the biggest reaction, but it sounded like Korakuen was really excited to see Juice in there as well. Every match for Juice, Ibushi, and Sabre is going to feel fresh.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:45 am

Heck, even the Suzuki and Kojima matches will feel somewhat fresh since it's been a while since either has had a big string of singles matches (not counting NOAH in Minoru's case.)

Suzuki vs. Sabre shouldn't be anything other than great, buuuuuuuuuuut Suzukigun has proved me wrong before :)
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks