NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Jacob's Bawks

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:50 am

The Junior has gone over the NEVER strap at least twice recently that I can think of; Destruction in Tokyo and NB in Osaka this year. Given Osaka is LIJ-country, they'd be best placing those guys in very high positions.

Though, I wonder who will face the NEVER Trios champs. I doubt it'd be Taguchi Japan again, but Tana is fighting Naito so I guess to keep that theme running they might. Hirai Kawato said he wants a shot at the titles with Oka and Kitamura. My only other guess would be Suzukigun, as Desperado beat BUSHI and those guys could use something but they'll also have to back Suzuki later-on for the Lumberjack Match which makes this theory go from unlikely to damn-near impossible.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:49 am

Absolutely loved the final. I really thought Ospreay was gonna take it but as the match progresses I found myself wanting KUSHI to win. This guy just always gets me into his matches, and he was incredible here. In comparison to the last few years' finals, I thought Taguchi vs Ospreay told a great story and Kushi vs KOR was near damn perfect but this year's final still managed to feel on-par.

Also really interesting to hear some portions of the crowd boo Tana so much. I still think he will win at Dominion but given how injured he is I honestly would not count out the possibility of Naito winning the G1 as IC champion.

Loved hearing the crowd reaction to Kawato, which was shockingly big. I suspect he is not going on excursion until Jan at the earliest but I kinda want him to so we can have him back and pushed ASAP.

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:43 am

Jacob's Bawks wrote:The Junior has gone over the NEVER strap at least twice recently that I can think of; Destruction in Tokyo and NB in Osaka this year. Given Osaka is LIJ-country, they'd be best placing those guys in very high positions.

Though, I wonder who will face the NEVER Trios champs. I doubt it'd be Taguchi Japan again, but Tana is fighting Naito so I guess to keep that theme running they might. Hirai Kawato said he wants a shot at the titles with Oka and Kitamura. My only other guess would be Suzukigun, as Desperado beat BUSHI and those guys could use something but they'll also have to back Suzuki later-on for the Lumberjack Match which makes this theory go from unlikely to damn-near impossible.
NB in Osaka didn't have a NEVER title match, that was at Sapporo. But Sakura Genesis did have the IWGP Jr. in the penultimate spot with the NEVER going third-to-last. It was pointed out back then how it had been almost a decade since the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title was 2nd to last at Sumo Hall.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:24 am

So I just finished my very first BOSJ. It was a very powerful experience, very time consuming but very pleasant. My only regret are the hardcamed house shows, which prevented me in really appreciate some of the matches as I would have been in regular shows. But I understand cost would be too high.

Finals were absolutely fantastic. I was rooting for Kushida since the very beginning, but I bet Ospreay would be "Back 2 back" champion. I a mervy happy for the victory of Kushi, who never cease to impress me, the more I see of him. Their performance was stellar, but I can see in him particularly one of my fav of the compagny.

Now, Dominion is red hot, and I can't wait to see it.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:33 am

Grammarian wrote:I'm becoming a fan of Hirai Kawato and the massive young lion Kitamura.
I Like Kitamura too. I have the impression he's already a step ahead in getting a persona, comparing to his fellows Lions. His new haircut and the vampire teeth were a good idea.

On the contrary, I have very hard times supporting Kawato. Guy is not bad, but always let me the impression doing "too much", in ring, and in his character; I cannot stand the grimaces he does all the time. That's not really impressive and gives me the impression of the toad willing to be as big as the beef.

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:18 pm

I really hope NJPW has plans for Marty Scrull as something besides a pin eater for the Bullet Club. He gets it better than most of the Bullet Club guys they bring in. Certainly better than Cody, Page, or Cole. He's got the best chemistry with Omega than anyone besides the Bucks. He spent the tournament getting himself and his moveset over. It would be a damn shame if that time was wasted.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:35 pm

I feel like Marty Scurll could be the next ace after Kenny Omega. He brings a life to the group that other talents haven't done in a while.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:33 pm

GuestTimekeeper wrote:I really hope NJPW has plans for Marty Scrull as something besides a pin eater for the Bullet Club .
I'm pretty sure that Chase Owens is still around for those duties. :lol: Besides I didn't get any impression what so ever throughout the BOSJ tour, that they brought Scurll in to the Bullet Club to be a B-Teamer.

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:13 am

NJPW one-upping in itself in "we have a gigantic roster" with a five trio gauntlet match for the NEVER 6-mans at Dominion.

SANADA/EVIL/BUSHI defend against Taguchi Japan (Taguchi/Juice/Ricochet), CHAOS (Ishii/Yano/YOSHI-HASHI), SZKG (ZSJ/Kanemaru/Taichi), Bullet Club (Yujiro/Hangman Page/Fale).
Last edited by EvanDeadlySins on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:32 am

My BOSJ Performance review, by wrestler.....

Personal bias included :lol:

ACH: Whilst ACH didn't outshine some of the more heralded name's coming into this year's tournament, he did turn in a consistently good level of performance that should certainly be good enough to earn him further tours with New Japan.

Whilst his 'SUUUPERRRR!!!' gimmick came across a little cheesy at times, it was clear to see that ACH couldn't be happier to be performing in the Best of the Super Juniors and that he was certainly looking to make the most of the opportunity afforded to him. As a performer who has been labelled with the spot monkey label by some, his work actually showed a more well rounded quality throughout the tournament with a stronger emphasis on technical submission elements being mixed in with the flashy athleticism he made his name with.

BUSHI: Following his return from injury around 18 months ago BUSHI joined the Los Ingobernables stable and began to work in a considerably more heelish fashion. Whilst his character work was top notch, it did feel like at times some of his potential as an in-ring performer was reigned in a bit.

Whether it's due to regaining full confidence in his abilities after a year free of injury problems or perhaps signs of moving away from a reliance on heel tropes (in a somewhat surprising move BUSHI did not fall back on the dreaded mist once during the tournament), the reigns seemed to be loosened in this year's BOSJ for BUSHI. Putting on consistently good matches throughout the tournament, his match with KUSHIDA was the best the two had put together, outshining any of their battles over the IWGP Junior title from the previous year.

Dragon Lee: As expected Dragon Lee had another excellent match against his perennial rival Hiromu Takahashi on the opening night, beyond that though it had to be said that whilst the young CMLL luchador, didn't have a bad tournament, it can also be said that he ended up being outshone by quite a few other performers in the tournament. There's really not much else to say beyond that.

El Desperado: In kayfabe terms El Desperado was this year's early surprise package, winning his first 3 matches, before ultimately falling away and finishing the tournament with a 3-4 record.

Perhaps the bigger surprise though was the consistently enjoyable performances from someone who felt like a bit of an afterthought in the first half of the year, since his return to NJPW with the rest of Suzukigun. None of his matches will probably trouble anyone's Top 10 matches list from this years BOSJ, but he did have a number of very good matches throughout this year's tournament, that began with his upset victory over KUSHIDA on night one.

Whilst Taichi and Kanemaru relied on the same tired interference riddled schtik that invited derision from many quarters, Desperado still got himself across as a dickish heel without making a large sacrifice on his ring-work and applying a considerably more inventive approach to heel tactics (the finish to his match with Ryusuke Taguchi being a prime example).

Hiromu Takahashi: Along with the two eventual finalists KUSHIDA and Will Ospreay, the current IWGP Junior champion was amongst the three stand out performers in this years BOSJ- which seems rather fitting, as it's becoming clear that these are the three the IWGP Junior title scent is going to be built around for the forseeable future.

From the ingenious addition of the scrapbook style strategy guide to the consistently excellent in-ring performance, Hiromu continued to look like a star throughout the tournament. Whilst matches with the likes of Dragon Lee, Ospreay etc were expected to be excellent (and they were) more impressive was dragging something decent out of Taichi.

Jushin Thunder Liger: There are of course some who feel a little aggrieved that Liger didn't get a miracle run in his final Best of the Super Juniors and that he only went 1-6. Whilst it would have been nice to have seen that story, I for one am perfectly fine with the story they end up going with that saw Liger able to put up a respectable showing against all of his opponents but ultimately come up short, until finally getting himself on the board after over-coming the slimy heel Taichi in an emotionally charged final match.

That match against Taichi and an excellent sprint against the current IWGP Junior champ Hiromu Takahashi were the highlights of Liger's final BOSJ. At 52 years of age he can no longer produce 'great' performances on a regular basis but he is still able to solidly contribute to 'good' matches on a consistent basis and whilst he probably is still capable of positively contributing to future Best of the Super Juniors, he leaves behind the tournament scene prior to becoming a shell of his former self and relying entirely on his legendary status.

KUSHIDA: The eventual winner of this year's BOSJ tournament might not have been everyone's choice from a booking perspective (I for one was hoping they would hold off on going back to the Hiromu vs KUSHIDA match-up so soon) but in terms of in-ring performance KUSHIDA is certainly a deserving champion.

The Finals match against Will Ospreay should be a contender for Match of the Year, when it comes to that conversation, whilst he also contributed to two other matches I feel should definitely be in everyone's Top 10 of this year's BOSJ- with Ryusuke Taguchi and BUSHI respectively. Perhaps just as impressive of being part of a great match with a fellow marquee talent such as Ospreay or a motivated Taguchi, was dragging a good match of Yoshinobu Kanemaru that highlighted KUSHIDA's qualities as a spirited babyface.

Marty Scurll: Whilst we might not have seen the very best of 'The Villain' throughout this year's BOSJ, his first tour with New Japan can be considered a success. Some may feel he concentrated a little too much on his character schtik but the 'woop woop' and 'flapping wings' taunt seemed to get over with the fans.

Not every match might have been a home-run but he did enough to show what the hype was all about and it would be a surprise if the New Japan official's were not impressed enough to invite him back for further tours and to continue on as Bullet Club's Junior singles representative.
Beyond the charismatic character work, Scurll is a more grounded technical style of wrestler with a move-set that is considerably less flashy than some of his peers, however he tends to have superb chemistry with high flying daredevils as highlighted by his excellent matched with Will Ospreay and Ricochet.

Ricochet: Another strong showing from Ricochet in this year's tournament, as he continues to show why he is one of the best Junior Heavyweight's in the world. Whilst he didn't have great matches every night (I'm looking specifically at the Taichi match in night one) he contributed greatly to some magnificent matches at the top end of his work- being part of some great contests with Marty Scurll and Will Ospreay (in a sequel I thought was even better than their much talked about contest from last year).

Ryusuke Taguchi: For much of the tournament we got a Taguchi that straddled somewhere between his ass-based offence comedy persona and serious Taguchi- depending on his opponent his matches tended to range from mediocre (Kanemaru) to pretty good (El Desperado). The one exception though would be his match with KUSHIDA- out of respect for the eventual tournament winner, Taguchi always brings his A-Game, resulting in one of the best matches of the tournament and once again reminding everyone that when he wants to, Taguchi can be as good as anyone on the roster.

In a lot of ways Taguchi is one of the smartest workers on the roster, largely getting over with charisma but then digging out the occasional performance to remind everyone that behind the crazy antics, there is a a pretty damn good wrestler too....one with a screw loose mind, I mean who else would be willing to have a pen shoved in a place where the sun doesn't shine?

Taichi: The much derided Taichi was for a good chunk of this year's BOSJ, the worst performer in the tournament, dragging down matches with his lazy work-rate and tired heel tropes.

I will give some credit, where it's due though. There are times where Taichi's sleazy scumbag heel act can be effective in the right situation, none more so in the final night of A-Block matches in his contest against the legendary Jushin Thunder Liger, where it had to be said Taichi was magnificently scummy in his role as the antagonist of a classic piece of babyface vs heel storytelling.

His all stable mate 'contest' with TAKA was a bad match in the conventional sense, but the lay out of the match that saw Taichi ultimately out-dick his friend in a match where they barely touched made sense from a storyline perspective. Add to that he actually had what I felt was a pretty good match with Hiromu Takahashi, where he was coaxed into abandoning his usual tired heel schtik part way through the match and motivated to actually put some effort into his work.

TAKA Michinoku: Whilst TAKA was probably one of the weaker participants in the tournament, never producing a match much above the three star mark in my view, he still ended up having a pretty solid tournament (never producing anything actively bad either- even his 'terrible' match with Taichi was fun in it's own unique way). He was in many ways this year's Gedo, a wily veteran with a penchant for dirty tricks that would end up being a banana skin for a couple of opponents to slip on. On a further positive note, whilst Taichi and Kanemaru's matches were often riddled with the much derided interference and blatant cheating that has riddled Suzukigun matches over the years, TAKA was thankfully rather more subtle in his approach to working as a heel throughout much of the tournament.

Tiger Mask IV: For a good few year's now Tiger Mask IV has been a mediocre skippable part of several Best of the Super Juniors tournaments, this year though he looked the most motivated he had in year's. Whilst his matches were rarely the highlight of the night, he consistently put in a good performance throughout the tournament with only really his match with Kanemaru being something of a chore (and that was more down to Kanemaru and the tedious antics of Suzukigun).

Volador Jr.: In his second straight tournament the Mexican high flyer looked a little off his game for much of the tournament, not really finding his groove until his match with BUSHI (5 matches in), after that match he went on to have two more good matches with ACH and KUSHIDA. In conclusion Volador's performances in the second week showed why he was invited back but his performances in the first week were amongst the weakest of the tournament.

Will Ospreay: It's pretty clear that young William Ospreay is not everyone's cup of tea, with a vocal sub section of the wrestling fan-base, who feel that his flips and dives style represents everything that is wrong with modern wrestling. Then there are those who seem keen to bash him for his perceived lack of selling- the sort of selling fetishist who feels that the only way of selling an injured body part is to crawl around the ring, as if though the appendage has been severed entirely ( I'm probably being a little over the top there myself in my criticism of Ospreay's critics, but I'm sure you get the point).

Whilst I feel that Ospreay could sometimes tone down some of his flashy high flying, if a match is built around his body part being worked over, I am firmly in the camp that believes him to be one of the most talented and innovative wrestlers of his generation. At the end of the day I'd rather watch Ospreay pull of the kind of dazzling spots he his capable of, rather than have him obsessively sell as body part for the whole match and go against his natural instincts as a performer.

As already mentioned his Finals match against KUSHIDA is a must see match that only the fiercist of Ospreay's critics would be willing to pick holes in, whilst his much anticipated matches against the likes of Marty Scurll, Hiromu Takahashi and Ricochet also delivered varying degrees of greatness.

Yoshinobu Kanemaru: Taichi draws a lot of ire for dragging down matches with his tired heel schtik, but in all honestly Kanemaru's matches in the B-Block were riddled with exactly the same problems. That's not to say that all Kanemaru's matches in the tournament were worthless, but the one's that ended up being somewhat enjoyable were pretty much all down to his opponent (e.g KUSHIDA), rather than the stomp happy Kanemaru.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:40 pm

Looking at the final card for Dominion and I don't see Scurll or Ospreay. Not that it would be ideal, but couldn't they have been slotted into the six man gauntlet somewhere?

What is up with Ospreay? Has he stated that he's leaving? The Kushida winning storyline is great, but what about Will?

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:33 pm

mlev76 wrote:Looking at the final card for Dominion and I don't see Scurll or Ospreay. Not that it would be ideal, but couldn't they have been slotted into the six man gauntlet somewhere?

What is up with Ospreay? Has he stated that he's leaving? The Kushida winning storyline is great, but what about Will?
It may be the thing where when someone loses a big match they go away for a while. Not the best idea given his contract; or they're backburner-ing him again. TIme will tell.

Scurll, looks like there just wasn't a slot for him. The Fale/Page/Yujiro trio is I guess too ironclad of an institution to alter.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:36 pm

Garuda wrote:
mlev76 wrote:Looking at the final card for Dominion and I don't see Scurll or Ospreay. Not that it would be ideal, but couldn't they have been slotted into the six man gauntlet somewhere?

It may be the thing where when someone loses a big match they go away for a while. Not the best idea given his contract; or they're backburner-ing him again. TIme will tell.

Scurll, looks like there just wasn't a slot for him. The Fale/Page/Yujiro trio is I guess too ironclad of an institution to alter.
I wonder if the Scurll to BC was decided post tour booking. If not, it makes little sense flying Page out and not just using Marty.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:01 pm

I don't think it's topping Omega/Okada for the top spot but there's a very good chance KUSHIDA/Ospreay BOSJ Finals is my #2 in MOTY.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Ospreay would have been in a CHAOS team of the NEVER six man gauntlet for sure but I don't know if that's a crucial spot for him to fill, especially after such a brutal, demanding tour and final. I'm sure they will bring him for the G1 specials and do something cool with him there (a rematch with somebody from BoSJ?).

Page is probably just acting as a pineater but I really hope they bring Scurll for another tour ASAP. Superb foreign addition. I want him to have a match against Taguchi for my perverse comedy wrestling tastes.