NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
JamieOD

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by JamieOD » Fri May 19, 2017 9:21 am

Two shows in and there are so many things to pay attention to. Liger's final tournament run, Hiromu's scrapbook, Scurll's popularity, Lee wanting to win the fans' respect, TAKA going back and forth between K-DOJO and Suzuki-gun for his tournament representation, Taichi and Desperado's cheating, ACH using the Lariat. A lot to follow and appreciate if they all lead towards the end.

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 am

So I watched both nights of BOSJ and God I love NJPW's single tournaments. Except all the things that have been said before I think that Ospreay is a very underrated babyface promo. It always seems like he's speaking straight from his heart. I hope he can have some big feud in ROH as a good guy, but not a feud like with Scurll or Ricochet, when they just have their great matches everywhere, but with promos, angles, build-up etc. I think that Bobby Fish or Daniels would tremendous guys for him to work with, because they have mostly basic offense and they're both very good heel promos. Also I really hope that ACH and Scurll will tone down with their stupidity, because instead of becoming guys like Kushida or Hiromu they will become Taguchi or Taka.

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Fri May 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Really enjoyed Ricochet/Ospreay II and liked the fact it was different than their first encounter. The only thing that bugged me, and this is definitely on me, is that with Ospreay's new haircut makes him look like Simple Jack. All of you who watched Tropic Thunder know what I am talking about.

Also something I noticed that is being overlooked is that Scurll has beaten Will in every big match they have had in the last 2 years or so. The ROH TV Title Match, BOSJ match, WXW, PWG BOLA Finals, and Progress title matches in England and Dallas. Its a shame that not all these feds can recognize this so that once Will beats Scurll in a high profile match it can make the win seem that much more important. Just a random thought.

*thanks to Suplexberry: Marty also beat Will in Rev Pro for the jr. title.
Last edited by itsberlo on Fri May 19, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri May 19, 2017 1:14 pm

Marty won in RevPro too, in that MOTYC. So.. Pretty much all of their matches. Solidifies Ospreay as the biggest star who almost never wins. Maybe he should win two BOSJ back to back so set up a rematch against Marty..

Been loving TAKA and Liger in their matches so far. Great stuff from both veterans.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Fri May 19, 2017 5:00 pm

Liger/Hiromu was probably my favorite match of night 2. Liger was on fire, so much more aggressive than normal.

I. Cannot. Stand. Taichi. But him vs TAKA was enjoyable. Loved how the only times they hit each other were kicks to the ding ding (as Corino would say)

Scurll/Lee was a solid match. Not as good as either mans match on N1, but still good. Loving how over Scurll is for being a new guy in NJPW!

Ospreay/Ricochet is an interesting match when I break it down. If I did stars i'd give it a 4 or 4.5, if I did an /10 rating i'd give it an 8.5 or 9.... but I wouldn't call it a MOTY (if that makes sense). It was good, the sprints they had were AWESOME, the in between wrestling was awesome, but it just didn't affect me emotionally. I wasn't looking for a huge spotfest, I didn't mind the no-selling, just something didn't fully click. I have a feeling it was the time they went. If they did the same structure, but in a shorter amount of time it would have probably left a lasting effect :)

Either way, both nights have been really fun! I *almost* cancelled my NJPW World subscription (money is getting tight), but after seeing these so far I am definitely keeping it for a while longer :D

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Fri May 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Night 2 of BotSJ was fantastic starting with a pretty good undercard. While the B Block tag goodness and LIdJ vs TJ & Kojima (who pops me every time and never fails to entertain) stood out the most, there was no bat match from what I could see.

Taichi and Taka, as polarizing as it was, entertained me. This was heel psychology and the apprehension of two friends/tag team partners fighting against each other at its finest. Unlike Taichi screwing around before with Ricochet, there was a reason he was doing it. He and Taka didn't want to fight but knew they had to and finally came to blows. In the end, the result made Taichi look like the biggest dick in the company.

Lee and Scurll started a bit wonky, once both guys found their grove, the match was awesome.

Liger and Hiromu was a brutal prolonged sprint and I love every second of it. Who knew Liger STILL had all those flippy doos left in him? I'm becoming a huge Hiromu fan, like Taichi or mid/late '90s and Ruthless Aggression Goldust I love his character and commitment to his bit. Of course he's younger than dust and a way better worker than Taichi, in fact if WWE doesn't scoop him up in five years, I can see him being the Ace of the company. He's just getting started with is JHW dominance yet still he's on a whole other level in the ring.

Not much else I could say about O'Shea and O'Spreay that hasn't been said fantastic main event by two pros/badasses/enemies/friends.

The show was slightly hampered by a botch in nearly every match (including assault by dreadlocks), but those were countered by the feels I was getting by Milano tearing up after Liger's promo and all of Will's promo at the end.

How do they top themselves after these first two days (especially this day)? I have no idea.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Fri May 19, 2017 9:39 pm

JamieOD wrote:Two shows in and there are so many things to pay attention to. Liger's final tournament run, Hiromu's scrapbook, Scurll's popularity, Lee wanting to win the fans' respect, TAKA going back and forth between K-DOJO and Suzuki-gun for his tournament representation, Taichi and Desperado's cheating, ACH using the Lariat. A lot to follow and appreciate if they all lead towards the end.
ACH is the new Stan Hansen.
Who's Rob Viper ?

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Fri May 19, 2017 9:57 pm

My guess is that Taka doesn't go back to the blue for the rest of the tour. I think it was just a way to make his match with Liger a little more special.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Sat May 20, 2017 11:58 pm

What was the meaning of the blue attire ?

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sun May 21, 2017 2:02 am

SamoKuma wrote:What was the meaning of the blue attire ?
Babyface blue attire from K-DOJO. Liger's importance to TAKA was visually represented by him not representing Suzukigun (aside from kneepads) and opting to wrestle a normal match instead.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun May 21, 2017 12:55 pm

The tournament matches from yesterday's show are up on World now in single-cam presentation. Honestly the matches are pretty skippable, although some of the results are interesting. I wasn't surprised that Tiger Mask beat KUSHIDA, as I figured they'd have him take some upsets early only to rally and make a comeback later, but I was shocked that Desperado defeated BUSHI. I figured that KUSHIDA would defeat BUSHI on the next B Block show to get a measure of revenge for losing to the LIJ member at the end of last year's tournament, and that BUSHI would be going into that match with some points to make KUSHIDA seem like more of an underdog. But now I'm thinking that BUSHI wins that match and then KUSHIDA runs the table the rest of the way.

I think we can all agree that Taichi, Jado, Iizuka, and Yoshitatsu are the worst workers in New Japan, but Yoshinobu Kanemaru might be the most boring. At least those other guys I mentioned have a modicum of charisma (or, in Yoshitatsu's case, are so dorky that they are at least a source of unintentional comedy), but Kanemaru is just so dry and uninteresting. Aside from his top rope DDT finisher, which is kind of cool, there's nothing I ever look forward to seeing from him. ACH did his best to try to make their match entertaining, just as Taguchi did in his Kanemaru match on Night One, but I feel like there's just not much you can do with Kanemaru to make him interesting.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Sun May 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Jacob's Bawks wrote:
SamoKuma wrote:What was the meaning of the blue attire ?
Babyface blue attire from K-DOJO. Liger's importance to TAKA was visually represented by him not representing Suzukigun (aside from kneepads) and opting to wrestle a normal match instead.
Thanks a lot ! So there is history here. I love how the company slides bit of it in the matches, even if I can't grasp all of it at first.

Watched first bout of yesterday, with ACH vs Kanemaru, solid match but I have very "hard times" with the Hard Camed Shows. the distance to the ring and the lack of commentary are quite disturbing for me.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun May 21, 2017 11:14 pm

The single-cam matches from today's A Block show are already up on NJPW World. I thought that those were next day delivery, but I guess with a live B Block show tomorrow they wanted to put these out already.

The one real must-see match from either of these single-cam shows is Ricochet vs. Hiromu. I liked their match last month a little better than this one
(though to be honest some that may just be a result of the earlier match having full production), but this was still pretty damn good. It seemed like most everyone else over the last two days was in house show mode, but these two went balls to the wall as they usually do.

Marty Scurll's act really suffers in this single-cam format, as this type of presentation makes it a lot harder to appreciate his facial expressions, mannerisms, and grappling. His match with Liger was really nothing special. Nothing stands out about Ospreay vs. TAKA either. Dragon Lee was really dragged down by Taichi's tired shtick.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Mon May 22, 2017 2:18 pm

Excellent main event between KUSHIDA and BUSHI at today's show. Previous encounters they've had against each other, have been good but not quite there, they hit it out the park this time round.

El Desperado vs Taguchi and ACH vs Tiger Mask IV, were both pretty good as well. A lot of it may well have to do with the quality of his dance partners as well, but Tiger Mask is actually having a sneaky good tournament this year. Didn't care much for Kanemaru vs Volador Jr. though, I agree with Frank Olson's assessment a few posts earlier, that Kanemaru may just be the most boring wrestler in the tournament. I expected Taichi to suck, but I'm not seeing this motivated Kanemaru yet.

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Mon May 22, 2017 8:16 pm

This May 22th Korakuen Show was indeed very good. Low and midcard was quite fun (even if I had to admit I already have enough of Marty scurll. please stop this goofy bird move at once), and I loved every match of the cup, even the Kanemaru/Volado, which was the first fight of Kanemaru I really dig.

Really surprised of the Taguchi bout. My wife loves him because he's funny, but his routine tends to be sometimes to similar from one match to another. Still, he had great alchemy with Desperado here, who is more and more described as a force to be reckoned with in this cup.

Very pleased of the KUSHIDA's victory, I'm rooting for the guy as hell. Very good in ring, very easy to like, he's one on my favourite of the cup.