NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Frank Olson

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Frank Olson » Thu May 18, 2017 4:31 am

I really enjoyed that ACH/BUSHI match. I'm hot and cold on both guys in general, but I thought that they both brought their A-game here and their styles meshed very well. ACH was either selling neck pain exceptionally well or was genuinely hurt after that draping apron DDT. Obviously I hope he's not really hurt, but either way I thought that aspect of the match made it a lot more intense than I was expecting.

Scurll/Ospreay was a fun exhibition. As others have pointed out it definitely felt like a condensed “greatest hits” version of their previous epics together (and this match certainly doesn't hold a candle to their amazing Rev Pro High Stakes 2016 bout), but it felt like the right match for this setting. I know that the Korakuen crowd is known for being hardcore, but I was still pretty surprised by how over Scurll was. The crowd was even doing the “whoop whoop” chant when his name was announced in the opening reading of the card.

Dragon Lee and Hiromu couldn't top their New Beginning match, which I thought was the platonic ideal of one of their matches, but they still had the wildest and best match of the night.

After this show El Desperado is easily my favorite of the Suzuki-gun juniors. He got sent to NOAH right around the time that I started watching New Japan regularly, so I haven't seen much of him in singles action, but I was impressed by his unique offense and his ability to effortlessly do the splits. I don't think that all of his old school heel antics were really necessary (and that ref bump was very awkward), but he definitely stepped up and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him. TAKA had a fine opening performance against Liger as well. Kanemaru was mostly just boring in his match with Taguchi. Taichi still sucks, although Ricochet made their match at least watchable.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Thu May 18, 2017 7:21 am

I want to do a full on write up, but I'll keep it short...

Scurll vs Ospreay was amazing.
Lee vs Takahashi was really fun too, great sprint at the start.
I loved how the commentators pronounced ACH (A-SHEE ASCHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!)

I honestly can't remember seeing anything from El Desperado, and he came out looking incredible!

SamoKuma

Post by SamoKuma » Thu May 18, 2017 7:43 am

Hi, peeps. newcomer here, i'm lurking this forum since january and, obviously, Wrestle Kingdom 11, who made me fall in love with NJPW. I'm a perfect noob in terms of puroresu, was drinkin until then only US "major" promotions like WWE and Impact, and lucha underground. But declining quality of the big WWE house made me search for something new, and I think I found it in NJPW.

Reading main site and forum since few months, I've decided to jump in the boat and to participate myself, even if i would be naive or unexperimented on few subjects. Ah, and cherry on the cake : I'm french, so excuse my english ;)

I've subscribed to NJPW World since few months, so i watched First Round of best of Super junior. Was quite afraid not being able to love it at once, but I found it a very good show.

Few first, random, newbie thoughts on the matches :

- First two matches were good. There was momentum from the old ones, but I liked their adversaries more. Yep, even Taka, which is a fine sneaky heel. I discovered Volador jr here, since I don't watch many Lucha. Guy has great charisma, and makes me think like a luchador version of Bret Hart. Kind of performance which pushes me watching more of him.

- Richochet VS taichi was very good. And that's not only thanks to Richochet, which must be the wrestler i take most pleasure to watch. TAICHI is a great, great heel. i know he's not very popular, and that's maybe i did not suffer watching Suzukigun shenanigans for years, but I quite like him. In this era in which a heel is so hard to dislike, guy does the job just perfectly, and he succeeded in this match here too.

- ACH vs Bushi was very good too. I did not know ACH apart his match against Ibushi under the Tiger Dark cowl, but i found here much more untertaining. Made me think of a kind of Appolo Crews who was allowed to do what he wants. Great energy, great enthusiasm, i would pair him witch Juice Robinson for a Tag team run.

- El Desperado VS Kushida was here again very good. Bookers are sadistic here, and it seems the redemption road for Kushida will crucify him. Ok, that's fine, that makes me root for the guy even more, especially when he does solid performances like tonight... and every night in fact. I love kushida, i think it's a great package of look, athlecisim, and technique.
Victory to Desperado was fine idea, and made him more dangerous for the others matches. Good move.

- Scurll Vs Ospreay : Warning, once again, unpopular opinion in this message ^^
I did not know Scurll before the ROH/NJPW show and his joining to the Bullet Club. His match at Toronto did not really convinced me, and I did not like his mannierism. Made me think of lesser version of a Damian Sandow, ring side apart.
Well, even if I'm still not much of a big fan, must admit that his match with Ospreay was very good. Two works very well together, all of it was entertaining AND good to watch. So I suspend my doubts for now, and let him do his thing.

- Taguchi vs Kanemaru : not bad, but I Think card would not have suffered without this match. That's too bad, because Kanemaru made me feel like a evil version of taguchi, but they just did not get along tonight.

- Hiromu vs Dragon Lee : Match of the night for me. Intensity, violence, surprise. Loved of it. Fall of the match surprised me, because I've been caught in the idea of the Purocasters than Hiromu would have made it without taking a pin and... That. Excellent.

Very good show for me, feel not experienced yet to give stars and notes, but I love almost all of it. Eager to see more.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Thu May 18, 2017 8:15 am

In agreement with the general consensus that Hiromu vs Dragon Lee and Ospreay vs Scurll ended up being the best matches of the night, even though they were far from being the best matches they've had against each other.

All in all a good show, as enjoyed everything else apart from Taguchi vs Kanemaru and Ricochet vs Taichi. Comedy Taguchi vs Lazy Kanemaru made for a mediocre semi main event, whilst Ricochet managed to just about drag a passable match out of Taichi , it still ended up being one of the two worst matches on the show. Taichi needs to go away- permanently.

Speaking of another Suzukigun Junior, I started watching New Japan on a regular basis, the year that El Desperado came back from excursion. I remember the consensus at the time, was that he was someone with potential but could be sloppy. Anyway I always quite liked him and was disappointed when he got banished to NOAH with the rest of Suzukigun. In my opinion Despy joining Suzukigun has probably had a negative effect on his career, the opposite to BUSHI joining LIJ being a positive career move for him.

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Thu May 18, 2017 12:16 pm

I don't if it's just me but Volador Jr was kinda a bit sloppy in his matches so far.
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Thu May 18, 2017 12:55 pm

SamoKuma wrote:Hi, peeps. newcomer here, i'm lurking this forum since january and, obviously, Wrestle Kingdom 11, who made me fall in love with NJPW. I'm a perfect noob in terms of puroresu, was drinkin until then only US "major" promotions like WWE and Impact, and lucha underground. But declining quality of the big WWE house made me search for something new, and I think I found it in NJPW.

- Richochet VS taichi was very good. And that's not only thanks to Richochet, which must be the wrestler i take most pleasure to watch. TAICHI is a great, great heel. i know he's not very popular, and that's maybe i did not suffer watching Suzukigun shenanigans for years, but I quite like him. In this era in which a heel is so hard to dislike, guy does the job just perfectly, and he succeeded in this match here too.
Welcome to the forums Samo, you are on one of the most intelligent, well-versed and extensive pro-wrestling message boards in the world. Oh, I'm here too.

As far as Taichi goes, I really don't hate him as a performer. I love that he's a flamboyant shonen anime villain with his own theme song and sexy minion. It doesn't bother me that he works a more safe style and uses classic heel tactics to get a reaction. Plus he's over with the Japanese audience, so props to him for that. His best work when he's with the other Suzuki-gun Jrs. and he isn't spamming the same cheap tricks over and over (the bell hammer comes to mind).

That all said, Taichi started the match by staying out of the ring for way too long. It actually took me out of the match and it wasn't until it was nearly over that I got back into it. The best option was to let Richochet carry him, but even if Taichi did a cheap shot from the very start, or ya know, actually wrestle, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I optimistic that rest of his matches are better (they can't get much worse).

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:55 pm

Went full 5 for Ospreay v Ricochet

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Thu May 18, 2017 7:10 pm

Ospreay vs Ricochet delivered in a massive way. Didn't go the full 5 like I have seen many do but I adored the finish and I was convinced they were going to a time limit draw once they got past 25 minutes.

Just a general note, they seem to be playing all of the licensed music now that was previously dubbed over. Tiger Mask and Kojima being the obvious ones although War Machine weren't using their ROH theme.

Also RIP the greatest New Japan theme of all time

http://music.instantlicensing.com/audio ... ls-1165865

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Thu May 18, 2017 9:51 pm

I don't think this has been said or thought of before the reason Naito treats the Inercontinental belt like shit is that because he really hates that championship for stealing his WK8 main event spot. Like it kinda of made drinking after thinking about it as the title costed him his spotlight and treated him as an afterthought
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Fri May 19, 2017 1:55 am

Notes from the US G1 Special:
- The show on July 1st will air live on AXS, the show on the 2nd will air live on New Japan World.
- The 2nd show will air on AXS on July 7th.
- The IWGP HW, IC, Tag and Jr. Tag titles are on the line.
- Jr. Tag title match: RPG Vice vs. The Young Bucks
- Cody vs. Michael Elgin
- Hangman Page is officially the second contender in the IWGP US title tournament.
- Talent includes Tanahashi (provided he's good to go by then), KUSHIDA, Elgin, Liger, Juice, Tanaka, Komatsu, Jay White, Finlay, YOSHITATSU, Billy Gunn, Okada, Ospreay, RPG Vice, Ishii, Sabre, Jay Lethal, War Machine, the Briscoes, Dragon Lee, Volador Jr., Titan, and the entirety of LIdJ and the Bullet Club (except Chase Owens apparently)

Last edited by BackLash on Fri May 19, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri May 19, 2017 2:57 am

Ospreay/Ricochet was fantastic, definitely my favorite match of the tournament so far. They didn't top last year's match, which is the best high flying match I've ever seen, but this one had more of a personal grudge feeling to it. There were a couple of noticeably blown spots, but I think that can be forgiven considering the insanely high degree of difficulty involved in most of what they were doing.

It's amazing that Liger, at age 50-something, can still have matches as good as the one that he had with Hiromu. The veteran's ferocious opening streak of offense was pretty awesome. The match was a little short - and as much as I love Hiromu, I feel that his finisher sometimes ends his matches on a bit of a flat note (since it looks relatively normal and low-impact compared to his regular insane offense) - but it was really fun. It reminded me of the match the Liger had with Eita in the Super J Cup last year.

Dragon Lee/Marty Scurll was a little too PWG for my taste (lots of playing to the crowd, not a ton of wrestling), but I was still mostly entertained by it. Marty stealing Adam Cole's Last Shot was a nice bit of continuity. I know that lots of people are tired of the Bullet Club, and I am too at times, but Marty is really a perfect fit for the current incarnation of the group. And his Bullet Club umbrella is cool.

I find Suzukigun boring and I hate Taichi, but I actually thought that the TAKA and Taichi match was pretty funny. It certainly had a unique structure, and I think it's good to have a handful of weird comedy matches in long tournaments like this.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Fri May 19, 2017 3:56 am

Marty being as over as he is during the tournament has been one of the most pleasant surprises of it so far.

Speedy Bellerin

Post by Speedy Bellerin » Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 am

I got chills watching Marty Scurll walk out at kouraken hall. Very proud of british wrestling right now. And both his matches were super fun.

A part of me wishes that Ricochet and Ospreay had resisted the temptation to do the double hanspring spot again or at least done something different with it. But you can totally see why they did it, it is iconic.

Also how awesome is Hiromus scrapbook?

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Fri May 19, 2017 8:15 am

Frank Olson wrote: I find Suzukigun boring and I hate Taichi, but I actually thought that the TAKA and Taichi match was pretty funny. It certainly had a unique structure, and I think it's good to have a handful of weird comedy matches in long tournaments like this.
Some of the stalling at the start could have been cut down a bit but that's how I felt about the all Suzukigun match. Taken from the perspective of rating it purely as a 'wrestling' match it was garbage but I'm glad they didn't try to have a regular wrestling match and just tried to find a way to win without doing any real damage to their friend. It would have been much worse if they wrestled straight and then had some sort of B.S finish. I still can't stand Taichi but credit where credit is due- he was actually funny and entertaining on this occasion.

Liger vs Hiromu was my favourite match of the tournament thus far, until Ricochet vs Ospreay II followed it. I loved everything about the Liger/Hiromu match, with Liger the ageing veteran in his last tournament emptying the kitchen sink but ultimately coming up short.

I'm in the camp of actually preferring this year's Ricochet/Ospreay match to last year's. Both are great matches but this year's match had a more defined structure, where as last year's felt more like an exhibition of their flippy style.

UditSharma

Post by UditSharma » Fri May 19, 2017 8:39 am

I thought they might do finger poke of doom in taka vs taichi when they were stalling in the beginning of the match

And all of my picks were right for this night
So i was happy with that

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk