NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
dancecab

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by dancecab » Tue May 16, 2017 3:50 pm

Speedy Bellerin wrote:
Buzz Sawyer wrote:
You do have training camp in July for the NFL teams, so there is plenty of football to watch.
Unfortunately I meant Soccer. I do watch the NFL but don't follow it properly just watch the games on sunday night in the UK.
How about MLS? LOL who am I kidding. I'm Canadian and I barely watch MLS.

Back on topic. I can't shake the fact I feel Ospreay is going to 2 time it. I don't know why. I've worked myself into a shoot thinking he's winning the title at Dominon and then loosing it again in the US.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Tue May 16, 2017 11:53 pm

The great thing about this year's tournament, apart from how strong (Taichi apart) the field is this year, is how unpredictable is. I have (as I sure many others do) Will Ospreay being a back to back winner after defeating KUSHIDA in the finals, but it's certainly not the only scenario that wouldn't be a complete shock that could end up playing out.

In a nut-shell-

A-Block

Favourites: Hiromu, Opsreay

Dark Horses: Scurll, Dragon Lee, Ricochet, Liger

There to make up the numbers: TAKA, Taichi

B-Block

Favourite: KUSHIDA

Dark Horses: BUSHI, Taguchi, Kanemaru, Volador Jr.

Who Knows?: ACH - Honestly I have no idea where ACH might finish- I think the most likely scenario is a 3-4 record
but it wouldn't shock me if he emerged as a 'shock' block winner or end up going the other way and finishing 0-7.

There to make up the numbers: El Desperado, Tiger Mask IV

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Wed May 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Great Night 1, a little bit of slow down in the 3rd match from you know who, but the right people won IMO and I think Scurll and ACH (being his second ever singles match in NJ and the first one as himself) passed the audition.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Wed May 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Scurll didn't just past the audition, he absolutely nailed it. What a star. The Scurll vs Ospeay & Lee vs Takahashi matches were fantastic & as energetic as I hoped. Everybody brought their A-game expect for one person who apparently doesn't have one. Freaking Taichi. Trent Barreta is right about that freaking hammer spot.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Wed May 17, 2017 2:44 pm

the announcers fell in love with "woop woop"

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed May 17, 2017 4:38 pm

TAKA vs Liger was the perfect opener - all in all may have been my second favorite from a very good night of matches. Also loved the obvious two big favorites, Scurll and Ospreay killed it again, and Dragon Lee vs Hiromu was once again absolutely death-defying, scary and incredible.

Scurll did amazing in his debut, but ACH wasn't far behind. Apart from one awkward botch, it was a good match and I suspect he's gonna get even more over with this One Piece-inspired gimmick.

phenom951

Post by phenom951 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Fantastic fucking opening night. Just finished the show. Here's my match ratings.
TAKA vs Liger 2.75/5
Volador vs Tiger Mask 3.25/5
Ricochet vs Taichi 3.5/5
ACH vs Bushi 4/5
KUSHIDA vs Desperado 4/5
Scurll vs Ospreay 4.75/5
Kanemaru vs Taguchi 3.75/5
Dragon Lee vs Takahashi 4.5/5

Takeaways: ACH is over with that Super shit. And he put on a great performance. Well done. But Scurll just became a big time star and Will Ospreay had a huge hand in this. About time the BC had a top Jr. In the mix after Devitt. Overall great show. Loved nearly everything. This should hopefully do great numbers since it's free. Tell everyone you know to watch guys.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

phenom951

Post by phenom951 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:56 pm

Also here's the translation of Dragon Lee's promo:
"Thank you, seriously though I want to learn Japanese for all of you. I'm feeling pretty emotional right now, overly happy in fact. To be in this tournament. I'm gonna prove to all of you exactly why I'm here. And what I especially want is to earn your respect and cheers. And I know I'm gonna get it. Here, In this building. Viva Mexico. I'm going to win this damn tournament for all of you. I love you Japan!"

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Wed May 17, 2017 8:52 pm

Loved Ospreay vs Scurll. I don't think many people doubted Scurll but fuck me did he nail it today by meshing his UK and US styles into one. Hopefully people don't forget how good Ospreay was and he's facing Ricochet next...

Hiromu vs Lee was great and it was probably the weakest of their trilogy in Japan. Shows what a high standard they have set.

Liger vs Taka was amazing as well. Had the crowd in the palm of their hand and it was the bloody opener.

Nothing else was stood out being better than good imo but Taguchi Japan is over. So many scarves in the crowd.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Wed May 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Ospreay/ Scurll was fantastic, they just ran through their classic stuff and it worked perfectly in that by the finish you wanted to see more of the two guys AND more of the match (A feat for two guys who've wrestled as frequently as those two over the past few years) Ospreay bumped around like an absolute mad man again here and the finish looked vicious as a result. Loved it! Takahashi and Dragon Lee wasn't as good as their previous encounters primarily because of a few miscommunications that took a lot of energy out of the crowd but it still had some insane moments, the blind wheelbarrow rollup was beautiful.

Everything else on the card was really good, in the context of 8 singles match I really didn't mind Taichi doing his usual stuff because it was something different and in the block full of people who will kill themselves to get a match over you need a night or two off. And after ACH, BUSHI, Volador jr, Desperado and Kanemaru all put in good performances I'm a touch higher on that block than I was before today!

Excited for Scurll/ Lee and Ospreay/ Ricochet tomorrow, why did Twitter already have the "...Dive" argument this weekend when they should have ample opportunity by the time day 2 of BOSJ has finished??

UditSharma

Post by UditSharma » Wed May 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Anyone noticed that dragon lee has gotten quite big ?

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Wed May 17, 2017 10:05 pm

You know, I've NEVER been into Ryusuke Taguchi. Even when he had that BOSJ run that people raved about, I just couldn't connect with his matches at all and his antics annoyed me.

But god damn if he hasn't won me over out of nowhere this year. Was is Taguchi Japan? I don't know, but it dawned on me as I cheered for him against Kanemaru that I had turned over a new leaf for the Fuinky Weapon.

Very fun show, although maybe I'm a little lower on it then some. Ospraey and Scurll really had a cool match; not meant to give everything they have, just a perfect bout to showcase the debuting MArty Scurll and to remind the crowd that Will Ospraey is amazing. The played the hits, but man did it leave me (and the crowd from the sound of it) hungry for both guys.

Also I'm seeing the light on Despy. Just never really payed attention to him, but I thought his match with KUSHIDA was a lot of fun.

Also ACH nailed it, and wow Ricochet is really over huge in K Hall.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Wed May 17, 2017 10:11 pm

Also, anyone know what the deal was with Hiromu giving Milano Collection that weird book before his match? What was in it?

UditSharma

Re: RE: Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by UditSharma » Wed May 17, 2017 10:27 pm

Garuda wrote:Also, anyone know what the deal was with Hiromu giving Milano Collection that weird book before his match? What was in it?
You can see it here

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:46 pm

Scurll v Ospreay - ****1/2
Lee v Takahashi - ****3/4