NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Danwaka

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Danwaka » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:07 pm

I really want him to stay a junior, but just get to be more prominent. Its not like Jushin's heavyweight run in CTU meant much in the end.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:59 pm

I dunno about KUSHIDA being heavy. He's talked so much about re-building the junior division that turning his back on it and moving up would contradict everything he's said. Maybe they can have it make sense, but right now his character is the guy putting the junior division on the map so I can't imagine it happening.

I would, however, be in favor of him holding the Openweight Title or having a Kanemoto run in the G1.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:25 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Buzz Sawyer wrote:
Ferrante207 wrote:
ZSJ as a HW is a fuckin joke. His match with Goto should've been a 5 min squash. The suspension of disbelief is tough for me. It's not that hard to put on 20 lbs. is there a reason he's staying this skinny?

Am I the only one left who cares about this?

Will ya'll just get off my lawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with this. ZSJ looks like the 14 year old kid who's was trying to get a date with my niece a few years ago. As a junior, he looks like a killer, against wrestlers that look like "men", not for much.
Had no idea Fit Finlay was a member of our forum.

Welcome, man!
My name is ferrante and I love to fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:44 pm

Jacob's Bawks wrote:I dunno about KUSHIDA being heavy. He's talked so much about re-building the junior division that turning his back on it and moving up would contradict everything he's said. Maybe they can have it make sense, but right now his character is the guy putting the junior division on the map so I can't imagine it happening.

I would, however, be in favor of him holding the Openweight Title or having a Kanemoto run in the G1.
I was thinking exactly the same thing in terms of KUSHIDA dipping his toe in with the Heavyweight's and having a Kanemoto style G-1 run- rather than him jumping up to Heavyweight full time. I think KUSHIDA taking on what has been Liger's role and becoming the long term back bone of the Junior Divison is a role that would really suit him but on the other hand I do want to see him take on the Heavyweight's at some point- I've always loved his interactions with Okada whenever they've crossed paths in a tag match.

And sorry to be an anally retentive geek here Lanza, but it was the Destruction in Tokyo (at the Ota Gymnasium) that KUSHIDA vs BUSHI headlined last September, not Aichi. But thanks for re-iterating my point that KUSHIDA is not being buried :D

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:49 am

Ah, thanks. Confused Ota with Aichi

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:08 am

I think KUSHIDA is fine in the junior's but there are no end of interesting singles matches I'd love to see him have with a bunch of the heavies, I said it last year but a G1 run would be perfect, especially when there were rumblings of him wanting an Okada match, that still really should happen at some point (Once at the very least) and a strong showing in the G1 by the junior ace as part of a redemption story to finally overcoming Takahashi could work nicely on pushing the division even further up the card!

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:40 am

Today show wasn't bad, the lower card was lower card, Tana vs. EVIL was great before the interference happened, and the main event was about as what you expected it to be. All in all, too predictable.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:56 am

I loved the main event, probably because I've bought into Juice as an underdog with heart so much, plus just knowing his story and what a genuinely nice human being he seems to be outside the ring, just made me buy into him even more. I expected him to get destroyed, and he did, but not without a few great comebacks, which had me rooting hard for him. There was a botch in the closing stretch that was a bit of a bummer but otherwise a great match.

Tana vs EVIL was good, and Ricochet vs Hiromu was good, too, even if I felt like the crowd sat on their hands through most of it.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:32 pm

A very average shows in my opinion, Ricochet and Hiromu had the match of the night but the crowd didn't give them (or anyone else) much to work with so they killed themselves and it was good but it should have been great. All of the top three matches had a few rough spots in them as well, which is uncharacteristic of these guys. Tana and Evil felt very similar to their Cup match in that just as it was heating up shenanigans happened and sapped the momentum. Juice was fine in the main event but by no means am I sold on him yet, there were a few cool spots but he also seemed lost at one or two points to me, it was another step forward though. I'd like to see him and Tana team up full time at some stage but that probably isn't happening for a good while if you assume Tanahashi is taking the IC belt at Dominion.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:07 pm

Ricochet and Hiromu was easily the match of this tour so far for me. If Ricochet is still hurt he sure isn't showing it. That opening stretch where he was just effortlessly blazing through amazingly athletic spots was pretty mind-blowing. They did a nice job of playing off of some of Hiromu's previous title defenses too, like when Ricochet reversed the Sunset Flip Powerbomb into a hurricanrana and when Ricochet reversed that top rope Code Red into some sort of Super Dodon. It came off as if Ricochet had done his homework but still ultimately couldn't get the job done, and I appreciated the continuity. Hiromu's Junior Title run is really something.

I feel that Tanahashi and EVIL don't have the greatest chemistry (certainly not as good as the chemistry between Tanahashi and SANADA). Their match today was solid but unspectacular for the most part, and then the pointless interference spots brought it down a peg in my eyes. I like EVIL, but unfortunately his big singles matches are pretty much always tarnished with loads of predictable shenanigans.

Naito and Juice was a good match, but I don't know that it needed to be 25 minutes long. I like Naito a lot - he may be the very best in New Japan at character work - but I feel like I am almost always the low man on his lengthy main event matches. It makes sense to me if he goes a half hour with a huge star like Tanahashi or a rampaging beast like Elgin, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that it takes him so long to put away guys like Jay Lethal and Juice as well. I'm not sure that longer matches suit Juice's style very well either, since to me his main strength is the fire and sense of urgency that he brings to matches, which would come across more naturally in a G1-style sprint. Still a good match though, and that spinebuster on the apron was awesome.

All three of those matches were a lot better than the disappointing NEVER Title match that Goto and Suzuki had earlier in the week. That match was honestly just kind of boring, which sucks because Goto had been having such a great in-ring year and Suzuki is a guy who I always want to like better than I actually do.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:16 pm

On the subject of KUSHIDA going heavyweight, I just don't see it. KUSHIDA is possibly my favorite wrestler in New Japan (I go back and forth between he, Ishii, and Okada), so I'm not knocking him by any means, but I stood near him at the Global Wars shows that Ring of Honor had in Chicago last year and he is smaller than I am (albeit being in much better shape). For reference, I am about 140 lbs and 5 foot 9. I think it would be better if he and Hiromu (who I believe is even smaller than KUSHIDA) continue to elevate the Junior division rather than turning heavyweight.

That said, if KUSHIDA doesn't win Best of the Super Juniors and is out of the Junior Title picture for a while, it would be cool to see him get a run in the G1. There are a lot of heavyweights I'd love to see him match up against, particularly Okada (and Shibata if he is ever able to wrestle again).

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:30 pm

Loved the IC and Jr Title matches from this morning but just couldn't get into EVIL vs Tanahashi. Juice vs Naito for MOTN for me. The result was telegraphed a million miles away but it was still a great match with some great moments. Juice kicking out of the first Destino, that spine buster and the caveat that Juice never hit Pulp Friction.

Glad Juice delivered as he surely must be a lock for the G1. A familiar face with fresh match ups should keep the tournament more interesting like Yosshi-Hashi and Tama Tonga did last year.

As far as KUSHIDA as a heavyweight, I am all for it if they protect him. Introduce him in the G1 or New Japan Cup where they can tell a story with a few fluke wins or close defeats rather than just turn him. He already is a mega underdog baby face for me so him chopping down an established guy like Goto or Ishii with a submission victory could easily establish him as a threat to the heavyweights. I would never position him as a top tier guy though, you have to keep some semblance of reality in terms of his size. Same for ZSJ for me, he is good enough to submit anyone and have that be his cutting edge as mid card guy.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:49 pm

Danwaka wrote:I really want KUSHIDA to get a run with the NEVER title. Him, Jushin, BUSHI, Trent could freshen up that scene for a bit.
Should've happened 2 years ago. O'Reilly, Fish both got shots and there's no reason that KUSHIDA couldn't get a short run.
Who's Rob Viper ?

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:52 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:A lot of people think he's going to heavyweight at some point. Not sure where I stand or how I feel about that.
A small version of Tanahashi, except Tanahashi has the charisma edge, but KUSHIDA has the pure wrestling edge.
Who's Rob Viper ?

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:56 pm

Tigerkinney wrote:
Buzz Sawyer wrote:Anyone know on why KUSHIDA seems to be getting buried? Is it to build him back up for a rematch at WK 12? Maybe it's time for him to put some muscle on and go heavyweight?
Just because KUSHIDA was shockingly squashed by Hiromu at Invasion Attack and he hasn't been on this tour- doesn't mean KUSHIDA is being 'buried'. Right now he's has had a major setback in New Japan, and him not being on the Dontaku tour- sells the fact that he's hit rock bottom storyline wise.

Fan's just need to learn to have a bit more patience when it comes to things- not everyone can be booked as superman all the time, and just because they lost a match (even if they were squashed in KUSHIDA's case) it does not mean they have been 'buried'. He will be back for Best of the Super Juniors, if he posts up a poor record like 3-5 or less in that, then you might have a stronger case that he's been de-pushed but I'm pretty sure New Japan still see him as being one of the pillars of the Junior Division.
KUSHIDA was the star of the division ( no one else even being close) not even 12 months ago and now he's losing in minutes to the wrestler that beat him for the title at the biggest show of the year. That's how the territories booked when someone was leaving the area.
Who's Rob Viper ?