NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Speedy Bellerin

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Speedy Bellerin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:55 pm

Incredible match. Theres so much to take away but Okada getting pissed off when he smacked on the back of the head, the kicks to the shoulder and those.... fucking.... forearms.

I went **** 3/4 the story telling was immense as with Omega vs Okada they left a lot in the tank for matches down the line. Obviously whether or not they happen it remains to be seen. It would be a shame because they laid the ground work for an epic rivalry.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:19 am

BITW

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:01 pm

Have watched Okada/Shibata two times now. Can see myself watching it many more times.
I can't get this match out of my head. A complete masterpiece and my MOTY currently.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:07 pm

damn.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Anyone playing up the idea it's a work at this point is fucking stupid.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:49 pm

Fun show with a great main event. My three big takeaways:

1) Outside of Suzuki and Zack, I have absolutely no use for Suzukigun. Taichi is the dirt worst of any major promotion and I would gladly watch Beer City Bruiser and Bull James have a best of seven series before watching another match with him.

2) I would add Hiromu to Okada as someone NJPW should do everything they can to lock down in any way they can. I can definitely see him getting interest from WWE between his look, charisma and in ring work. Very excited for his match with Ricochet.

3) I only saw the main event today after the news of Shibata came out and have to say it made some of those striking sequences seems well beyond gratuitous to being uncomfortable. Okada's selling and struggle to survive were great and Shibata came across so well that I really hope whatever this injury is, it can be rectified quickly and with no lasting damage. No great moment or match is worth permanent damage/a diminished career.

VoiceofLegacy

Post by VoiceofLegacy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:26 am

I can't even put into words how much I loved the main event. Shibata and Okada proved that wrestling can be done the way that I grew up watching it. They proved that an amazing match can be had, and the masses can enjoy it, without wild over the top spots and constant non-selling. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the Super Juniors for what they are, but I have missed "old school" wrestling and believed it stood no chance of ever returning. But if what I saw from Okada and Shibata is any indication it absolutely can return! What an amazing match. If Shibata can't come back from this injury I'm going to legitimately be depressed.
Hit me up on Facebook, all I discuss is wrestling- Adam Leavelle (Wrestling Done Right) and at www.wrestlingdoneright.com

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:08 pm

Lions Gate is a record speed watch, less than two hours run time. If you like fired up youngings, check it oit.

Loved Kawato vs Despy , Unno's kid was good for his first ever match, K-Dojo boys vs TenCozy was a ton of fun (and seems to have lead into the next event, perhaps?) and main event was decent, too.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Lion's Gate was pretty fun. I was glad to see the All Japan boys. I was not into the Dinosaur guy at all, but the entire match turned around when he bit Tenzan's head but it was so hard that he sold his teeth.

Not sure why they're spreading things over three shows on the Dontaku tour. Didn't they try this with Destruction last year and it failed?

UditSharma

Post by UditSharma » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Who are the three musketeers of coming generation ?

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk

VoiceofLegacy

Post by VoiceofLegacy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:33 pm

Yeah the Dinosaur guy was a bit too much imo
Hit me up on Facebook, all I discuss is wrestling- Adam Leavelle (Wrestling Done Right) and at www.wrestlingdoneright.com

Eddie

Post by Eddie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Has anyone watched this match since news came out about Shibata's injury?

I've been dying to see this matchup for a long time but I don't know if I'd be able to watch it knowing what happened.

throwstuff165

Post by throwstuff165 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:25 pm

The way Shibata talks about wrestling, I don't think he'd want people to enjoy his matches less just because of the danger.

I understand your hang-up, but I'd encourage watching it and looking at it from the perspective that he put everything he had into the match in the hopes that it could be great, risks to his body and all.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:36 pm

I view wrestling injuries like any other sports injury. I see it as an unavoidable part of the deal. It may be a cold way to approach things, but to me that was a great match and the unfortunate news doesn't change that. I'll also readily admit that I'd pop for a well timed headbutt spot again if I saw one. If that makes me a monster, so be it. I am of the belief that these men know the risks of what they're doing.

I understand others are more sensitive to these things. I get it and I respect it.

LK3185

Post by LK3185 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Even if they know the risks, I don't understand why someone would still do it, besides pointless reasons to pop a crowd..Are they getting monetary bonuses for bashing their skull against another skull? I'm not going to say that i worry about it during the matches, what Shibata did was brutal but I popped...having said that, he doesn't need to do it to be over and if he didn't get surgery, he'd likely be dead.

Not to downplay concussions but what Shibata got wasn't just a concussion, something more immediate that should make any wrestler weary of ever doing a headbutt spot again.