NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Murrr

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Murrr » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:33 pm

I'm happy to throw ***** at Omega vs. Ishii. I was a little fatigued after the moderate disappointment of Suzuki vs. Shibata, but I should know better than to doubt these guys. This thing was just otherwordly good to me. Ishii is the king at drawing you into his struggle and forcing you to root for him: his selling was as bananas as usual, and the constant One Winged Angel counters got more exciting every single time. Dat Stunner.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:20 pm

As expected, this side of the bracket really outperformed yesterday's group. I have absolutely no clue who's going to win the tournament now and that's awesome. There really aren't any proven Sumo Hall-level draws left in the field, so it's cool to see that New Japan are going to take a chance on elevating somebody with this tournament. I think that either Shibata or Ishii challenging Okada (or Naito if they want to go that route) would be a big ticket-selling main event for Sakura Genesis, but those guys surely aren't the safe bets that Tanahashi, Omega or even Suzuki would've been.

Juice vs. Yujiro was the best Yujiro match in ages, which means that it was just okay. But I appreciate that he did do some actual wrestling in this match instead of just an endless series of stomps and eyerakes, and it's also nice to see Juice get rewarded for his hard work with a win here. ** ½

I really enjoyed SANADA vs. YOSHI-HASHI. They have really good chemistry together, and the whole backstory about their respective paths after their initial failed Dojo tryouts is very compelling. They did an awesome job playing off of their series of tag matches from last year as well, and I really thought that YOSHI-HASHI was going to win again with the Butterfly Lock at one point. SANADA ultimately winning with the seamless moonsault-into-Skull End was a badass finish. ****

As a lot of people have already mentioned, Shibata vs. Suzuki was a bit of a letdown. It was fundamentally solid, but never hit the level that you know these two could get to together. The Suzukigun antics (Taichi getting involved, Suzuki inexplicably using a water bottle as if it's a dangerous weapon) dragged this down a bit. With this loss I would say that Suzuki has been firmly established as a midcard gatekeeper. ***

The Omega/Ishii match was really excellent. It reminded me a bit of the Ishii IWGP Title challenge from last year, in that we saw him pull out a lot of moves that aren't part of his normal repertoire. The closing stretch of counters and reversals was really impressive. Omega's blood-stained teeth after the match were a good indicator of how physical and intense this got by the end. **** ½

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:57 pm

Rainmaker_F7 wrote:
Empiresk wrote:
Also something that may or may not be noteworthy, Ishii and Fale still have wins over Okada from the G1 that have been "unavenged". I wonder how much that will play in who wins the Cup.
Okada beat Fale in Hiroshima in September. That was a non-title match where I believe the stipulation was that if Fale wins, he gets a shot at the New Zealand iPPV. Okada won ofc.
Forgot about that! From what I could remember people assumed Fale would get his shot in New Zealand but that never happened so people just moved on.

Just looked up that Hiroshima show and I remember the main event and the Briscoes/Bucks tag and the merging of the tag discussion. Not the greatest show New Japan ever put together with Yoshi-Hashi coming out looking like a mini Yoshihiro Takayama...

GameFreac

Post by GameFreac » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Ishii vs. Omega - *****

I loved the shit out of this match. Omega/Okada has the slight edge but this is now my 2nd favorite match of the year. Knew this would deliver.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:19 pm

5 Stars to Ishii/Omega. That match was absolutely fantastic.

IAmVapeMan

Post by IAmVapeMan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:27 pm

I'm looking for Omega to pull strong during the G1. Sad that he didn't get the win but my god, Ishii is unbelievable. He looked like the best wrestler on the roster right now with that performance. That counter into a stunner, I literally shit my pants. Yes I did! Yuck!

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:42 pm

My predictions, I'll be bold and just throw them out there since I didn't bother with a pick'ems: Shibata wins this one, and challenges for the IWGP title. He won't win, but it'll be a test, a sort of "can you hang in this slot" test, and that's a match that can carry a big show. Kenny will win the title at a later date this year and since Ishii holds this win over him, Ishii can be his first challenge.

I honestly may just like the slower style Shibata vs Suzuki was worked but I really got into it, and was frankly shocked to see people not being as into it as I felt during. It wasn't nuts like the main event but it was very good. As expected, SANADA vs Tacos was good, too, though the crowd never got as hot behind YH as say, a Korakuen crowd does. Still, I loved it. I like this weird kayfabe where SANADA's Skull End is more powerful after he takes his shirt off.

Ishii vs Omega was stunning, as was to be expected. Now Omega's posting Pro Wrestling Election special screencaps of Ibushi on Twitter and continuing to tease that. My heart can't take much more of it, but I'll have to perservere. Maybe Gedo will book my Golden Lovers fanfic after all.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:31 pm

Well there goes my predictions of who will win the New Japan Cup this year completely out of the window :lol: But I'm glad to be proved wrong and I too am loving the unpredictable nature of the booking.

Full five from me as well for the Ishii vs Omega match- match just kept getting better and better from the top-rope tussle, that eventually resulted in Ishii pulling out a freaking Frankensteiner. That was the story of the whole match really, in that Ishii kept pulling out stuff he's never used before, such as the awesome stunner counter to the One Winged Angel.

throwstuff165

Post by throwstuff165 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Of the potential first round upsets, Ishii over Omega was the one I was most confident in. I figured coming in that Ishii was being set up for a big run, but with Suzuki, Tana, and Elgin all knocked out now, he might really be the favorite to win.

packerman120

Post by packerman120 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:11 pm

I'm definitely going to have to re-watch Ishii vs. Omega, but the full five is in the reign of possibility. It was so awesome though, especially after how disappointed I was by Shibata vs. Suzuki. It just felt flat the whole way through and it almost put me to sleep. For some reason, I LOVED Juice vs. Yujiro, and I think matches like that show Juice is a great worker. I don't know what it was, but I thought it was a very well done match. YH vs. SANADA was also good, but like Joe touched on in his review, it was missing something. Either-way, if I had to revise my final predictions, I'd go with Ishii vs. EVIL, with Ishii winning.

UditSharma

Post by UditSharma » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:54 pm

I think it will be shibata vs evil in final with shibata winning and going for ic title as he said after the dome that he will no go after never title and he has also lost the brit title now. By having them as final they wont be giving away a fresh match and the finals is already sold out

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:57 pm

New Japan Cup -

Yuji Nagata v Tanga Roa - **3/4
Toru Yano v Tama Tonga - *
Michael Elgin v Bad Luck Fale - ***1/4
Tanahashi v Evil -***1/2
Juice Robinson v Takahashi - ***
Yoshi Hashi v Sanada - ***3/4
Shibata v Suzuki - ****
Omega v Ishii - *****

Go out of your way to watch Omega v Ishii

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:17 pm

K. Hare wrote:my dark horse pick is Ishii winning the whole thing

UditSharma

Post by UditSharma » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Did you guys enjoy njpw 45th anniversary show more or roh 15th anniversary show ?

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:21 am

Does anyone know if the Quarterfinal matches are going to be single cam? I feel like seeing things from a distance really hurts the presentation of heavyweight New Japan matches. For example, a match like Nagata vs. EVIL is probably going to lose something if we don't see closeups of them smacking each other, and Yano vs. Fale is going to lose a lot if we don't see Yano's facial expressions.