NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
K. Hare

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by K. Hare » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:43 am

OMEGA VS ISHII!!!

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:01 am

One thing I don't think people are talking about enough was how Omega's return likely carried the first show's attendance. It was higher than Fantasticamania, last year's Honor Rising, and I think one or both of the New Beginnings Korakuens.

One thing to keep in mind with the NJ Cup brackets is that all of these guys are being trusted to headline and draw during the second round. Right off the bat we can eliminate Yujiro, Fale, and probably YTR. Thinking short-term here, but I don't see a case where Fale headlining against somebody over Elgin would be good, but I could be wrong and they have something planned down the line. The only two results I'm 100% on though is Suzuki over Shibata and Juice over Yujiro.

Whoever wins though, we have the potential for five-six really great matches. And the best part? All of this and the Anniversary shows are during my spring break! :D
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:56 am

They made us fucking wait for it, but it's finally here: SANADA vs YOSHIHASHI. The feud culminates (or re-culminates)! I like most of the first round matches have some kind of story behind them to those who follow closely. There's this feud throwback from last year, Suzuki vs Shibata has been built, Omega namedropped Ishii as an opponent last year (is this guy just flat-out booking himself these days? can't complain), EVIL vs Tana has been happening for a while now, too, and GOD/Honma are all facing tag scene opponents.

I could see an Elgin vs Omega final or a Tanahashi vs Omega final. Or am I nuts for kind of thinking this tournament might be Shibata's first test on top of the card?

Either way, I'm psyched. Between this tournament and the Anniversary, March is stacked.

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:08 am

NJPW uploaded all of Tiger Mask W's NJPW bouts (yes, all 2 of them) to their YouTube, in both Japanese and English commentary. It's labeled NJPW Free Match and the video description says "More amazing matches from the NJPW archives coming soon FREE on njpwworld.com every week!"

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:31 pm

What is the New Japan cup?

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:45 pm

That March 12th show looks insane with Omega/Ishii, Shibata/Suzuki and Yoshi/SANADA. Is it crazy that I see Yoshi making a miraxle run only to be dumped by Suzuki? I know Omega is the odds on favorite but that's precisely the reason why I see the shock of such an occurrence.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:06 pm

Ckkj14 wrote:What is the New Japan cup?
Single elimination knockout tournament every year around March time. Consists of 16 wrestlers, champions aren't eligible to enter. Winner gets a shot at any singles title they want. It normally produces a couple of good matches but nothing like the G1. It's a fun tour that sets up the rest of the year up until the G1 starts in July.

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:28 pm

Anyone else feel like whoever wins, choosing the IC title is a much more likely option this year? I feel like your possible winners are Omega, Tanahashi, Shibata and Elgin. 3 of the guys have recently history with Naito and they could have a Naito/Omega feud just to keep Omega apart from Okada until later in the year. Okada could always just have a rematch with Tiger Mask W at Sakura Genesis if the match is competitive enough.
Last edited by stienerontheforklift on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:28 pm

mrjoshdude wrote:
Ckkj14 wrote:What is the New Japan cup?
Single elimination knockout tournament every year around March time. Consists of 16 wrestlers, champions aren't eligible to enter. Winner gets a shot at any singles title they want. It normally produces a couple of good matches but nothing like the G1. It's a fun tour that sets up the rest of the year up until the G1 starts in July.
Cheers mate. Got into New Japan around the G1 last year so looking forward to this.

TranquiloColectionAT

Post by TranquiloColectionAT » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:42 pm

How I see it:

Omega beats CHAOS in Rd 1
Omega beats CHAOS in Rd 2
Omega gets his W back from the G1 by beating Shibata in Rd 3
Omega gets his W back from the G1/Dominion by beating Elgin in the Final

Just not sold that they would burn as big of a match as Tanahashi/Omega for a B level tourney final. That could be their Dominion main event if they decided to put the title on Omega in April.

Also disappointed no KUSHIDA.

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:01 pm

TranquiloColectionAT wrote:How I see it:

Omega beats CHAOS in Rd 1
Omega beats CHAOS in Rd 2
Omega gets his W back from the G1 by beating Shibata in Rd 3
Omega gets his W back from the G1/Dominion by beating Elgin in the Final

Just not sold that they would burn as big of a match as Tanahashi/Omega for a B level tourney final. That could be their Dominion main event if they decided to put the title on Omega in April.

Also disappointed no KUSHIDA.
This seems like a likely scenario actually, and also seems pretty good and logical booking.

One thing I'm wondering is if Shibata is actually going to beat Suzuki here, or if they are going to draw that out to a two match feud via shenanigans.

TranquiloColectionAT

Post by TranquiloColectionAT » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:09 pm

yeah I'm not so sure on Shibata/Suzuki

only reason why I think he goes through is so Omega can beat him, but Shibata beating Suzuki kind of kills a return match between the two.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:32 pm

TranquiloColectionAT wrote:yeah I'm not so sure on Shibata/Suzuki

only reason why I think he goes through is so Omega can beat him, but Shibata beating Suzuki kind of kills a return match between the two.
I could see Shibby winning and being attacked by Suzuki and co after the match out of frustration, maybe injuring the leg or something. Then Shibata loses his next round match due to the injury sustained from the Suzuki attack. Thus begins Shibata's feud to kill time until he wins the G1.

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Interesting thing about this year's New Japan Cup is that this year's New Japan Cup tour is being run in some really big arenas with not so great cards. I mean Niigata, Tokorozawa and Aichi are run in G1 Climax venues. I mean they're doing Tanahashi vs Evil and Elgin vs Fale for a venue that is reported to hold like 5-6k people? I would personally switch venues for night 1 and night 2, but maybe NJPW believes more in Honma, Elgin, Tana and Yano drawing people (especially Tana) than Omega, Suzuki, Shibata, Ishii in an actual competitive match-ups. When it comes to results I would personally have Kenny winning with Elgin in the finals and Shibata either losing to Kenny or Sanada in semis. If he would lose to Sanada, he could win with him at Sumo Hall or Fukuoka, so you could set him up for Osaka with Naito. Kenny wouldn't cash in until Osaka, because Okada loses/draws to Tiger Mask W, who unmasks as Ibushi so we can have Kota vs Okada for Sumo Hall. In my opinion the big match after you do the Okada vs Omega in Osaka is Omega vs Naito, because Naito is the guy in Japan and Omega seems like the guy for other areas they would like to start in doing more shows.

UditSharma

Post by UditSharma » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:00 pm

I think shibata will win new japan cup and challenge for IC championship

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk