NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
suplexberry

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by suplexberry » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:30 pm

Lowlight of the Togi Makabe 20th anniversary show: Henare getting hurt.

Highlights: Shibata and Suzuki giving us a preview of an excellent singles match between the two (Cup final or just a storyline moving forward?), another hot LIJ multi-man tag (SANADA and KUSHIDA had a super-fun exchange), Cozy shouting at Tenzan a lot.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:23 pm

FANTASY BOOKING TIME!

They've still not announced who Shibata is taking on at RPW Epic Encounter. We know Suzuki has no problem working in Britain as he did WCPW a couple of times. I think it's possible Suzuki pins Shibata at the Cup or an anniversary show to set up a challenge at York Hall. If Shibata wins, we finally get Sabre vs. Shibata III for the title. If Suzuki wins, we can get Sabre vs. Shibata in a #1 contender's match so Sabre can finally get his win back and take the title from Final Boss Suzuki at Summer Sizzler, and so we have an excuse to book Suzuki/Sabre and to prolong a Shibata/Suzuki feud and not end it after one match.

About the Bullet Club thing, they're PWT's second hottest merch seller in 2016, with Omega being #3 and #4. PWT sells about 10,000 shirts a month, so the Bullet Club is still making a lot of money for NJPW, even if most of it is foreign.
Last edited by Jacob's Bawks on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

phenom951

Post by phenom951 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:25 pm

Obviously the BC has cooled down, just is that like everything else will it just ran out of steam. Just like LIJ is going to also. Nothing stays "cool" in wrestling forever. But when you really look at it, they have one of the stronger units in the company, certainly more of an upside than even Suzuki-Gun. G.O.D. is actually a pretty good work rate tag team now, Bucks are awesome in any division, Omega is top 5 in the world, even Cody/Cole would be a decent upper midcard guy (interchangeable) they're really just lacking a great singles Jr.
Of which David Finlay or hell if they could bring Scurll in that would be great. I mean SZG has like Minoru and Despy who are any good. without Shelton that group looks awful. Bottom line is, why disband when they still have a hot foundation. If anything, they should feud with LiJ sometime this year, that would IMO really heat them up again.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:47 pm

phenom951 wrote:Obviously the BC has cooled down, just is that like everything else will it just ran out of steam. Just like LIJ is going to also. Nothing stays "cool" in wrestling forever. But when you really look at it, they have one of the stronger units in the company, certainly more of an upside than even Suzuki-Gun. G.O.D. is actually a pretty good work rate tag team now, Bucks are awesome in any division, Omega is top 5 in the world, even Cody/Cole would be a decent upper midcard guy (interchangeable) they're really just lacking a great singles Jr.
Of which David Finlay or hell if they could bring Scurll in that would be great. I mean SZG has like Minoru and Despy who are any good. without Shelton that group looks awful. Bottom line is, why disband when they still have a hot foundation. If anything, they should feud with LiJ sometime this year, that would IMO really heat them up again.
I think LIJ is headed directly into either a SZG or BC feud which will complete the turn.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Suzukigun feels like it's here to put over all the new main eventers and their stables. Shibata and the Dads, Okada and CHAOS, Omega and Bullet Club and Naito and LIJ.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:07 pm

Per Charlton, Makabe will be taking the NJ Cup tour off and will do advertising for the company. Before that though, he and Honma will challenge the CHAOS team for the titles. So that's another match confirmed for the 45th Anniversary Tour. I'm hoping we'll get another title match at least because it''d be shitty if we got just filth outside of the Okada/Ibushi matches.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:14 pm

Jacob's Bawks wrote:Per Charlton, Makabe will be taking the NJ Cup tour off and will do advertising for the company. Before that though, he and Honma will challenge the CHAOS team for the titles. So that's another match confirmed for the 45th Anniversary Tour. I'm hoping we'll get another title match at least because it''d be shitty if we got just filth outside of the Okada/Ibushi matches.
Maybe we get the Taguchi-Takahashi match then? Plus an SZKG Junior Tag match for filler's sake and a LIJ-Taguchi Japan rubber match?

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:17 am

Any word on how bad the Henare injury is?

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:38 am

Confirmed Anniversary 3/6 matches besides Tiger Mask W vs Okada now include:

Hiromu vs Taguchi for jr heavyweight title

Shibata vs Zack Sabre Jr (!!!!)

Elgin, Tana, Juice & KUSHIDA vs Naito, BUSHI, SANADA, EVIL

GBH vs Ishii/Yano - tag titles

RPG Vice vs Taichi/Kanemaru for jr tag titles

I wonder if Shibata vs Sabre III on Japanese soil will be for the British title or not. Either way, fucking awesome.

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:58 am

Shibata vs. Sabre is for the British Heavyweight title.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:11 am

This Shibata vs. Sabre news is very interesting. I was expecting to see that match at the Summer Sizzler this year, I guess that throws all my expectations up in the air. This could mean we've seen the last of Shibata as champion in the UK too as I fully expect Zack to take the win here. Doesn't make sense for Shibata to win the third match, it just feels like that entire feud was made to put Zack over in the end. I suppose we could see Shibby retain and Suzuki challenge for it but then what's the point of even calling it a British championship at that point. Regardless, I expect Shibata vs. Sabre to go over way better in Japan than it did in York Hall, I feel like that kind of match is way better suited to a Japanese audience. Add that to a Taguchi/Hiromu match and an Okada/Ibushi match (kind of) and this feels like it could end up being a pretty good show!

BradPTBN

Post by BradPTBN » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:57 pm

suplexberry wrote:Lowlight of the Togi Makabe 20th anniversary show: Henare getting hurt.

Highlights: Shibata and Suzuki giving us a preview of an excellent singles match between the two (Cup final or just a storyline moving forward?), another hot LIJ multi-man tag (SANADA and KUSHIDA had a super-fun exchange), Cozy shouting at Tenzan a lot.
Funny - I came out of this show also hoping we'd get a SANADA and KUSHIDA match someday.

Suzuki was fantastic again; he and Shibata had their own 3* match within that multi-man. Loved Suzuki slipping behind and grabbing the sleeper while the final pinfall was counted. And then the fighting while he's on the mic after too.

I thought the main event tag was very good also. ***1/4

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Is this the most stacked anniversary card they have ever put together? For as long as I watched NJPW, it's usually been a one match show with the Junior Champ taking on the World Champ.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:08 pm

The show in Okinawa has the following matches:

Special Singles - Tomoyuki Oka vs. Yuji Nagata
Special Tag Team - Ryukyu Dog Dingo & Chibaraumi Saber (RDPW) vs. Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask
Special Tag Team - Ten-Koji vs. Manabu Nakanishi & Juice Robinson
Special Six Man - Michael Elgin & Great Bash Heel vs. Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano & Jado (CHAOS)
Special Tag - David Finlay & Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI (CHAOS)
Special Tag - Gedo & Kazuchika Okada (CHAOS) vs. EVIL & SANADA (LIJ)
Special Six Man - Hiroshi Tanahashi, KUSHIDA & Ryuuchi Taguchi vs. BUSHI, Hiromu Takahashi & Tetsuya Naito (LIJ)

So I guess David Finlay is back now. Surprised they didn't use some of the lower-level SZKG guys here.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:12 pm

Have to say, Tanahashi's new theme is growing on me.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian