NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Speedy Bellerin

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Speedy Bellerin » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:56 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote: The odd translations are probably the best part of NJPW World.

Bad Rack Ware. River People Tsuberseri. The numerous odd ones for Gedo. Let us know if you need any help finding matches or need any guides, there are a few out there that are invaluable for getting started.
Alex Sherry and Daybee Boy Smith Jr are good ones. The great part for me is that being in the UK means that PPV's are on in the morning. I look forward to waking up with coffee and the G1 this summer.

A guide would be helpful but I'm managing to get around either by finding the appropriate tag or by year. Today I watched Okada vs Anderson G1 final, The Dynamite Kid threatening to kill people with a broken bottle and a lovely documentary about Tanahashi preparing for the Tokyo dome. Such a fashionable chap.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:46 am

Rich Kraetsch wrote:Super late to watching Osaka so forgive me if this was already discussed but am I on an island liking Takahashi/Lee WAY more than Naito/Elgin? That's no slight on Naito/Elgin as I thought it was great but Takahashi/Lee was next-level great IMO.
I'm with you on this. For me Takahashi/Lee was a ***** masterpiece, and my second favorite match of the year so far behind Omega/Okada. I think Takahashi/Lee was the ultimate “guys taking insane risks as they try to kill each other with spectacular spots” match. Naito/Elgin was great too, but it was a much more traditional New Japan-style main event, and I thought it was pretty similar to the matches that Naito and Elgin had at the G1 and Destruction last year, albeit longer and with more finisher kickouts. I still really enjoyed it, but was surprised that it seemed to dominate the discussion from that show. I actually preferred Ospreay/Shibata to Naito/Elgin as well. But overall I am just amazed that one mid-level pay per view could contain three matches of that quality.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:17 am

Speedy Bellerin wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote: The odd translations are probably the best part of NJPW World.

Bad Rack Ware. River People Tsuberseri. The numerous odd ones for Gedo. Let us know if you need any help finding matches or need any guides, there are a few out there that are invaluable for getting started.
Alex Sherry and Daybee Boy Smith Jr are good ones. The great part for me is that being in the UK means that PPV's are on in the morning. I look forward to waking up with coffee and the G1 this summer.

A guide would be helpful but I'm managing to get around either by finding the appropriate tag or by year. Today I watched Okada vs Anderson G1 final, The Dynamite Kid threatening to kill people with a broken bottle and a lovely documentary about Tanahashi preparing for the Tokyo dome. Such a fashionable chap.
Here you go. Mr/Senor LARIATO's amazing NJPW World guide:

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:59 am

I think Lee vs Hiromu in comparison to Naito vs Elgin is similar to Naito vs Tanahashi at the Dome in comparison to the spectacle of Omega vs Okada. It's an apples to oranges type of comparison, but if you prefer the mind-blowing spectacle, or the death-defying spectacle, to the slower, tremendous story in those Naito matches, that's completely understandable to me. (Not that Hiromu vs Lee didn't have a story, but it works regardless of whether you've seen 14, 5, 1 or none of their prior matches. Naito vs Elgin gains a LOT when you consider it in the context of their previous encounters and the story going in.)

These kinds of discussions are like we're all just fat kids discussing which cakes we prefer, vanilla creme or chocolate ganache. We're surrounded by all kinds of cakes. Take your pick, enjoy, plenty more to come.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:14 am

Speedy Bellerin wrote:Alex Sherry and Daybee Boy Smith Jr are good ones. The great part for me is that being in the UK means that PPV's are on in the morning. I look forward to waking up with coffee and the G1 this summer.
What's even better (from a guy who lived in the UK for a few years) is when you're in the Middle East and it comes on at noon. When it's a weekend show I basically sleep in, then get up and shower before making a mezze and chill in my room watching and eating.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:08 am

Has been doing production/hosting work for NJPW:

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:44 pm

rovert wrote:Has been doing production/hosting work for NJPW
Elaborate on this, please?

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:47 pm

EvanDeadlySins wrote:
rovert wrote:Has been doing production/hosting work for NJPW
Elaborate on this, please?
Didn't he help with the Dome preshow on Periscope?

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:51 pm

rovert wrote:Didn't he help with the Dome preshow on Periscope?
I don't recall that. I know he was at the festival with his kid the day before and the commentary guys just happened to cross paths with him while they were doing the Periscope, but nothing like that. You made it sound like he was on payroll or something.
Last edited by EvanDeadlySins on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:52 pm

rovert wrote:
Didn't he help with the Dome preshow on Periscope?
Considering Chris was sitting in the crowd with a bunch of friends I think you have him confused with someone else.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Oh ok.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:39 pm

IF Chris ended up getting a job with the new English New Japan site that is great for him however

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:37 am

They'd be smart to hire him, for sure, but who knows.

I had a dream that I was watching an IWGP Oceania championship title match at my best friend's wedding. There's a premonition that's only going to be relevant in about 5 years' time, but I just want to put it out there into the world.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:33 am

Meltzer says Zack Sabre Jr is starting with New Japan soon.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Just thought it would be interesting to mention that in just under two weeks Okada will have surpassed Hashimoto for 3rd place on total number of days holding the IWGP Heavyweight Title. This puts only Tanahashi and Mutoh above him now, with Mutoh being about half a year or so ahead. And bear in mind here that Okada isn't even 30 years old yet, to put that into perspective both Mutoh and Tanahashi entered their first reigns with the belt the year they turned 30. All Okada has to do is get another 300 or so cumulative days assuming Tanahashi doesn't get another run to get to the number 1 spot. If he can go the next 10 years mostly injury free we could end up seeing a record set that may never be broken. It's entirely possible he ends up doubling the next best number by the time he reaches his 40s.