NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
User avatar
Buzz Sawyer
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:46 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
Tigerkinney wrote:Was it Joe Lanza who said that SANADA would be the next guy, people would start getting impatient about not getting being pushed hard enough in a similar vein to the 'Shibata- it must be his year!' brigade?

Well I came across this quote in a review of the L.I.J vs Tanahashi & Friends tag on another site....

" I feel like in recent months SANADA has almost been forgotten which Is a shame because he is really good and should be in a higher position."

He might be on to something there! :lol:
I saw Meltzer was pushing for a SANADA push too. I genuinely don't think it's coming until next year at the earliest. It's just how this company does things. They have to get through Shibata first.
Any chance Shibata calls out Okada within the next few months to get his shot?
Who's Rob Viper ?

User avatar
ScorpioCorp
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:49 am
Location: Cypress Creek

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by ScorpioCorp » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:51 am

Okada is on fire. That Suzuki match was phenomenal. Minoru Suzuki is the most evil pro wrestler in the world. The facial expressions, body language & the sheer nastiness he puts into his moves. Suzuki has that rare presence that many wrestlers wish they had. Okada put on a heck of a babyface performance here. He played the face in peril for most of the match & his selling of the punishment that was done on his leg was on point.

A lot of criticisms that people have about this match were parts that I loved about it. Minrou Suzuki putting on a wrestling clinic with his composed attack on the leg, the nail-biting period when Suzuki had that kneebar for that long period of time, the interference by Suzuki-gun which plays into their ruthless & opportunistic nature, & the final stretch where Okada kicks into another gear which is a part of why he is one of the best wrestlers at this very moment. It had such great storytelling & psychology. I'm very high on Okada vs Suzuki.

User avatar
Jacob's Bawks
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:16 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:07 pm

Okada was still selling his knee pretty hard today, with Minoru still going after it and mocking the champ. They may actually be running the story of Okada being worn down and taken out quickly, and they're making it out like the Suzuki feud isn't over. I guess we'll have to wait and see if Minoru pins Okada in Osaka to see where they're going with this.

It sucks that Desperado is out. Hope it's not a serious injury. If he can't make the title match coming up, it's safe to assume that Taichi will fill in. God help us.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

User avatar
Frank Olson
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:42 am
Location: Milwaukee WI

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Frank Olson » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:31 am

So the New Japan Cup is going to be really dragged out this year. The first round matches will be split over March 11th and March 12th, with 4 tournament matches each day. Then there is going to be 1 quarterfinal match per day on March 13th, 14th, 15th, and 17th. Semifinals are on the 19th and the finals are on the 20th. I suppose I can understand the business reasons for doing this (stops on the tour that might otherwise just be meaningless house shows now seem a little more must-see) but as a viewer I can't say that I'm super excited about only getting one or two tournament matches per night for most of the tournament. I hope they don't start dragging the G1 out like this.

User avatar
Jacob's Bawks
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:16 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:05 am

Frank Olson wrote:So the New Japan Cup is going to be really dragged out this year. The first round matches will be split over March 11th and March 12th, with 4 tournament matches each day. Then there is going to be 1 quarterfinal match per day on March 13th, 14th, 15th, and 17th. Semifinals are on the 19th and the finals are on the 20th. I suppose I can understand the business reasons for doing this (stops on the tour that might otherwise just be meaningless house shows now seem a little more must-see) but as a viewer I can't say that I'm super excited about only getting one or two tournament matches per night for most of the tournament. I hope they don't start dragging the G1 out like this.
Didn't they start doing that two years ago by doubling the shows and giving us 5 a show instead of 10+?

Anyways, yeah, I'm disappointed. NJ Cup Day 1 last year was a great show because the lack of tag matches (minus one really great one). This certainly doesn't make the average show quality better, and I doubt they'll bring the camera crew for all 8 shows.

In other news: My worst fears are confirmed, El Desperado has been pulled from the tour due to an injury to the right knee.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

User avatar
noggy
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by noggy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:15 pm

Jacob's Bawks wrote: Didn't they start doing that two years ago by doubling the shows and giving us 5 a show instead of 10+?

Except for 2011, New Japan Cup's format has been the same since 2009. All first round matches on one show, all second round matches on another show and the Semi-Finals and Finals on a third show with a handful house shows with zero tournament matches mixed in. In 2011, the only difference was dividing the first round matches between two shows. Earlier tournaments were much like this year's tournament with the tournament matches spread throughout the entire tour.

If you're asking about the total number of shows on a tour (including house shows with no tournament matches), working backwards starting from 2017 the tours have had 8, 6, 7, 7, 6, 5, 5, 6, 8, 8, 10, 10 and 4 shows respectively.

User avatar
suplexberry
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:34 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by suplexberry » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:03 pm

It's a bummer about the scheduling. I mean, if you watch it G1 style - skip everything other than the tournament matches - you're still not going to be rewarded as richly as by the G1 schedule. I think if anything, the appeal of NJC this year will be the storylines they put together for it and beyond it - who's the next challenger (is it an old challenger?), who eliminates Tanahashi, how does SANADA fair in this as it's his first one, who has a good run but chokes in the big spot. This is typically one of my least favorite tournaments of the year but this year there's so many potential big pushes that start here or continue here that I'm more intrigued than normally.

User avatar
Jacob's Bawks
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:16 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:01 pm

noggy wrote:
Jacob's Bawks wrote: Didn't they start doing that two years ago by doubling the shows and giving us 5 a show instead of 10+?

Except for 2011, New Japan Cup's format has been the same since 2009. All first round matches on one show, all second round matches on another show and the Semi-Finals and Finals on a third show with a handful house shows with zero tournament matches mixed in. In 2011, the only difference was dividing the first round matches between two shows. Earlier tournaments were much like this year's tournament with the tournament matches spread throughout the entire tour.

If you're asking about the total number of shows on a tour (including house shows with no tournament matches), working backwards starting from 2017 the tours have had 8, 6, 7, 7, 6, 5, 5, 6, 8, 8, 10, 10 and 4 shows respectively.
I'm talking about the G1.
Frank Olsen wrote:I hope they don't start dragging the G1 out like this.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

User avatar
Empiresk
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:46 pm
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Empiresk » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:26 pm

Shibata vs Matt Riddle from Rev Pro is on New Japan World if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_archive_37_01_07#googtrans(en)

Defo worth a watch.

User avatar
Frank Olson
Posts: 561
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:42 am
Location: Milwaukee WI

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Frank Olson » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:57 am

suplexberry wrote:It's a bummer about the scheduling. I mean, if you watch it G1 style - skip everything other than the tournament matches - you're still not going to be rewarded as richly as by the G1 schedule. I think if anything, the appeal of NJC this year will be the storylines they put together for it and beyond it - who's the next challenger (is it an old challenger?), who eliminates Tanahashi, how does SANADA fair in this as it's his first one, who has a good run but chokes in the big spot. This is typically one of my least favorite tournaments of the year but this year there's so many potential big pushes that start here or continue here that I'm more intrigued than normally.
I actually really like the way they've scheduled the G1 the last few years, because it makes it easier to keep track of who's in each block, and because watching 5 matches for 90 minutes or so is a refreshing change of pace from the usual overlong wrestling show. But I feel like only getting to see one or two tournament matches a night like we are going to for most of the New Japan Cup is just going to make the tournament seem really slow paced. That said, I suppose I won't be able to complain too much if all of the quarterfinals matches live up to the usual New Japan main event standards.

Obviously we don't have lineups for the tournament yet, but my hunch is that EVIL will get an upset win over Tanahashi in the first round. They've been pairing those two off in the interactions between LIJ and the current NEVER 6-Man champs, so it wouldn't surprise me if a New Japan Cup upset leads to a little feud between them this Spring.

As stacked as New Japan's roster is right now I'm mostly interested to see which 16 competitors make the cut for the New Japan Cup. It will be interesting to see how they work in fresh faces like Suzuki, Omega, and (apparently) Tiger Mask W. I imagine that there will not be room for somebody like Yujiro this year.
Last edited by Frank Olson on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Grammarian
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:13 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Grammarian » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:17 am

Today I've been experiencing an error message when I try to watch njpwworld via the chrome browser, which I use so that I can stream it to the TV via chromecast (works great with njpwworld). I'll post a pic of the error below. Anyone else ever run across this error and maybe know a fix?
Image
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:40 am

Grammarian wrote:Today I've been experiencing an error message when I try to watch njpwworld via the chrome browser, which I use so that I can stream it to the TV via chromecast (works great with njpwworld). I'll post a pic of the error below. Anyone else ever run across this error and maybe know a fix?
Image
Are you sure you're actively subscribed? Double check. That looks like the message when you try to watch something and aren't logged in or subscribed.

User avatar
Grammarian
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:13 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Grammarian » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:45 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
Grammarian wrote:Today I've been experiencing an error message when I try to watch njpwworld via the chrome browser, which I use so that I can stream it to the TV via chromecast (works great with njpwworld). I'll post a pic of the error below. Anyone else ever run across this error and maybe know a fix?
Image
Are you sure you're actively subscribed? Double check. That looks like the message when you try to watch something and aren't logged in or subscribed.
Yep. I'm logged in. I get that message when I try to watch free content too. I didn't want to get too technical, but I can watch it on another browser (firefox), but since I want to cast it to the TV with chromecast, I'd like to use chrome. I'm not in dire need of help since it's working on my phone which I can use to cast it to my TV. Still, it's something I'd like to get to the bottom of. (first world problems)
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

User avatar
suplexberry
Posts: 738
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:34 pm

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by suplexberry » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:32 am

See that your Flash plugins are up to date? Sounds like they are on Firefox but not on Chrome. I don't know if Flash still needs separate plugins for different browsers, back in the day this was a common problem I had but not so much as of late. Worth checking I guess, unless you already have.

Oh, and back on topic - I'd be willing to bet money EVIL puts Tanahashi out of commission for NJC. I hope it's a short feud, if only because old man Tana needs his spring-time tranquilo period.

User avatar
Tigerkinney
Posts: 507
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:58 am
Location: Ashford, England

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Tigerkinney » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:36 pm

Frank Olson wrote: As stacked as New Japan's roster is right now I'm mostly interested to see which 16 competitors make the cut for the New Japan Cup. It will be interesting to see how they work in fresh faces like Suzuki, Omega, and (apparently) Tiger Mask W. I imagine that there will not be room for somebody like Yujiro this year.
From what I could gather from Okada's post match promo, is that he was aware that the New Japan Cup was coming up but called out Tiger Mask W, regardless of whether he was going to be competing in the cup or not, so I would put Tiger Mask W being in the tournament as a possibility not as a definite.

Hopefully Yujiro isn't in the NJ Cup this year. I'm perfectly fine with him as a lower-card tag guy, but given New Japan's current roster depth he shouldn't be anywhere near being in any of their singles tournaments.

I have a feeling all of 'The Dads' might miss out this year. Of those who didn't compete last year you would think that Kenny Omega and Minoru Suzuki will be in this years field, as well as SANADA. Given his push from semi young-lion to midcarder over the past few months, I would think that Juice Robinson will also be part of this years tournament.

Post Reply