NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Jacob's Bawks

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:14 am

I shouldn't be as excited about Billy Gunn/Yoshitatsu as I am. I don't know if it's the train wreck effect, or that it's still an upgrade over the Yoshitatsu/CNJ team I was expecting before the breakup, or maybe fuckin' nostalgia.

Props to New Japan for making one of the overall worst guys on the roster someone I'm actually interested in watching even when I know it's gonna suck.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Dreamboat

Post by Dreamboat » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:13 am

Decent show, didn't think it was as good as KoPW from what I remember of that show but still good from what I watched
I was happy that Juice got the pin in the dark match, he's progressed really well this past year
The HW tag titles match was probably the best performance GoD has had in their run as a team, and it has a lot to do with the fact that Tanga Loa wasn't involved in any of the highlights. Enjoyed the finishing stretch, and really liked Tama's machine gun popoff after the Gun Stun. His movements are so entertaining to me, I wish he wasn't stuck with his chump brother in the shambling corpse that is BC
Junior Tag final was good, ACH's arrogant dickhead antics are fantastic. One thing that did bother me though was that he sold his leg like death after that apron PK on Trent, and then disregarded that for the rest of the match. I'm super glad my gut feeling on RPG Vice was right and they didn't break up though, Trenty and Azucar FOREVERRRRR
BUSHI vs KUSHIDA was a really good match and a much better effort than their previous one, I thought. It's a shame that this feud has had such terrible build and seems solely designed to make BUSHI look like a chump. KUSHIDA working heel in the match was fun though and reaffirms my opinion that he's been the most consistently good wrestler in NJPW this year. Seen it batted about that the crowd were booing him because they're tired of him, but I don't think that's the case - they were in LIJ country and his heel work says to me that he knew that going in. Even if I'm wrong, I'd say they're tired of his booking more than they are him personally, although up until this awful BUSHI feud I'd have said he'd been one of the best booked champions in any promotion, never mind NJPW
Kamaitachi being the time bomb is pretty much the perfect outcome and in the five minutes he was on screen he had more presence and charisma than half the roster, to be honest. That match is going to be great. Kind of strange they ran with his real name, though
EVIL vs Shibata was good with a surprising result. I'm worried now though that EVIL is going to have the BUSHI reign and immediately drop the title back to Shibata so that Shibby can make his date with Go at the Dome, and he really deserves better than that
Tanahashi vs SANADA was a good watch as well, although a little weird with them doing that double leg catch comedy spot at the start. The Skull End reversals started getting a bit silly towards the end but still a good match and I would be totally fine with SANADA challenging for the IC when Tana has it after WK
Sat on my phone for 99% of the main event and from what I could hear, or rather couldn't hear, so did most of the crowd. Fully expected, Lethal just isn't over
Last edited by Dreamboat on Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:28 am

Yoshi Tatsu and Billy Gunn is a team nightmares are made of. Ugh.

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:04 am

Since Billy Gunn is on NJPW WTL tour I hope he faces Taguchi on the tour to show who is the better ass man
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:09 am

Larsosc wrote:Hey gang, first time posting in a year or so.

I will go back and check out the GoD match since it's getting an unrealistic amount of praise and I missed it. All I know is that the jr. title match was fucking phenomenal. It didn't feature any crazy stunts really and I believe both guys kept it in the ring for a good 90% of the match, but it was an incredible play on KUSHIDA's desire for the jr. title. KUSHIDA didn't wrestle like he usually does with fan favorite moves, he kept going for that arm and drove himself to use despicable tactics unlike him like pulling off the mask, running at BUSHI from the bat and pummeling him on ref's discretion because he was dead set on winning the title back. It elevates the title and the division so much on a whole, seeing someone so dedicated to their position. KUSHIDA was obviously going for a shock factor here and it definitely worked with the crowd booing him at certain points and even rallying behind BUSHI who would otherwise have been the clear heel. The match had real heat and told an organic story that really made KUSHIDA's motives fully transpire and it was SO CAPTIVATING for that reason. Not to mention fantastic in-ring work.
I'm not as high on it as you were but I just really liked this perspective on it, and it's persuaded me to give it a rewatch later today. Thanks for posting again!

Now, who wants to make a Hiromu's Belt-Lickingly Good Punkrock playlist on Spotify?

And any guesses who Omega is going to be tagging with in WTL? AJ always tagged with Yujiro, which was first of all, odd and second of all, not that great, but then WTL is silly season that nobody particularly cares about or watches with keen interest. Still, I've worked myself into wanting Fale + Omega. The contrast would be cool, and Tama will likely be paired with his brother, so Fale is either not on the tour or without a partner.

ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap

Post by ChutiyaHogaTeraBaap » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:23 am

Rainmaker_F7 wrote:I was just thinking about the Wrestle Kingdom card, how about this?

0. New Japan Rumble
1. Roppongi Vice vs Young Bucks – IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Title Match
2. Naomichi Marufuji, Toru Yano, Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma vs Adam Cole, Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi, Chase Owens
3. Ricochet, David Finlay, Satoshi Kojima vs ACH, Taiji Ishimori, X (Ibushi/Tiger Mask W maybe?) – Trios Title Match
4. SANADA & BUSHI vs YOSHI-HASHI & Will Ospreay– Special Tag Team Match
5. Katsuhiko Nakajima & Katsuyori Shibata vs Katsuhiko Nakajima & Go Shiozaki – NJPW vs NOAH
6. EVIL vs Michael Elgin – NEVER Openweight Title Match
7. G.O.D vs Tomohiro Ishii & Hirooki Goto (WTL Winners) – IWGP Tag Team Title Match
8. KUSHIDA vs Kamaitachi – IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match
9. Tetsuya Naito vs Hiroshi Tanahashi – IWGP Intercontinental Title Match
10. Kazuchika Okada © vs Kenny Omega – IWGP Heavyweight Title Match
Okay so my speculated card i s really similar. What are your thoughts on this ???

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:32 am

NJPW announced The New Beginning 2017 will be split into two shows, Osaka (as usual) and the other one this year will be Sapporo, in Hokkaido Prefectural Sports Center (capacity ~5500). Japanese wrestling twitter from that region is very pleased, as they generally only get one NJPW show a year - G1 Day 1, at least in the past few years.

A good sign is that it's not three like Destruction this year was. I imagine that they won't be trying that again anytime soon, since it didn't do so great at the box office.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:13 am

suplexberry wrote:
Larsosc wrote:Hey gang, first time posting in a year or so.

I will go back and check out the GoD match since it's getting an unrealistic amount of praise and I missed it. All I know is that the jr. title match was fucking phenomenal. It didn't feature any crazy stunts really and I believe both guys kept it in the ring for a good 90% of the match, but it was an incredible play on KUSHIDA's desire for the jr. title. KUSHIDA didn't wrestle like he usually does with fan favorite moves, he kept going for that arm and drove himself to use despicable tactics unlike him like pulling off the mask, running at BUSHI from the bat and pummeling him on ref's discretion because he was dead set on winning the title back. It elevates the title and the division so much on a whole, seeing someone so dedicated to their position. KUSHIDA was obviously going for a shock factor here and it definitely worked with the crowd booing him at certain points and even rallying behind BUSHI who would otherwise have been the clear heel. The match had real heat and told an organic story that really made KUSHIDA's motives fully transpire and it was SO CAPTIVATING for that reason. Not to mention fantastic in-ring work.
I'm not as high on it as you were but I just really liked this perspective on it, and it's persuaded me to give it a rewatch later today. Thanks for posting again!

Now, who wants to make a Hiromu's Belt-Lickingly Good Punkrock playlist on Spotify?

And any guesses who Omega is going to be tagging with in WTL? AJ always tagged with Yujiro, which was first of all, odd and second of all, not that great, but then WTL is silly season that nobody particularly cares about or watches with keen interest. Still, I've worked myself into wanting Fale + Omega. The contrast would be cool, and Tama will likely be paired with his brother, so Fale is either not on the tour or without a partner.
I don't know that they want Fale eating pins, but with that said unless they break up Owens & Yujiro for the tour they really have no choice.

EDIT: Actually Owens won't be in it because he's a junior. BC has two pin eaters, Yujiro & BONE SOLDIER. I would imagine one will team with Omega, the other with Fale.

ErinQuinn

Post by ErinQuinn » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:36 am

Let's do Omega/BONE SOLDIER v Yoshitatsu/Billy Gunn during WTL, let Kenny get all the wackiness out of him before the Dome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rollup

Post by rollup » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:57 pm

kenny has been teaming with Yujiro for some of the previous shows so i would assume that is the team. so that means either mr boner teams with Fale or they will just ignore owens' weight class :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jesse

Post by jesse » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:46 pm

Kamaitachi is a folk tail creature. Basically a ninja otter. Himoru won't be taken as seriously with that name as he would with his own. That's why he went back.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Dreamboat

Post by Dreamboat » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:18 pm

Can he just go by Hiromu so that no-one associates him with Yujiro

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:30 pm

Vince McMahon would never allow this

jesse

Post by jesse » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:33 pm

Dreamboat wrote:Can he just go by Hiromu so that no-one associates him with Yujiro
You'll be hearing HIMORU-KUN soon enough. :lol:
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:44 pm

Just finished the show. Nothing to add that hasn't already been said here, other then the presentation of the Time Bomb really charmed me. I like New Japan's groove a lot, but the occaisional WWE-style presentational moment really pops when it's kept rare.

Really goddamned long though. Even taking it over the full weekend was a little much. Four hour wrestling shows are NOT my jam. Still enjoyed the hell out of it, but with a lot of fatigue.

Oh also that BC/CHAOS multi-man was extremely fun, even more then they usually are.