NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
rollup

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by rollup » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:37 pm

hoping for some title defence at the NJPW Singapore show for me to watch in person ...

jesse

Post by jesse » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:06 pm

The time bomb isn't Minoru Suzuki. :)
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:09 pm

Awesome show today, too long.

That GOD vs Ishii/YoshiHashi match was so good. Whoa.

Liked how nasty that Bushi Kushida match was, especially with Kushida heeling it up with that piledriver on the floor and the mask ripping.

Too bad the crowd isn't into Lethal, because both guys worked hard, and it could have been good with a hot crowd. Liked the Elgin shout out spot. Oh well.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:49 pm

This would've been a top tier show of the year contender if the main event was Elgin-Naito. I think Lethal-Naito was underwhelming, it was not bad or average by any means, but you expect more from a NJPW main event. I went *** 1/4 on this.

Tag title match was goddamn excellent. Who saw that coming? Best G.O.D ever looked BY FAR, great performance by Tacos and Ishii too as well. Also the crowd helped a lot. The best NJPW Tag Title match since what, forever? Now please repeat that at the Dome. **** 1/4.

Junior tag tournament final was great. I was kinda surprised that ACH and Taiji didn't win, but I am not sad since we are finally getting 2 on 2. ****.

KUSHIDA/BUSHI was a weird match, but I loved the story. It was for sure better than their Otaku match for sure though. *** 1/2.

Timebomb was very well done. At first I was like "WTF is this" went I saw Takahashi on the screen. But Kamaitachi vs KUSHIDA is a match I can't wait for. Boy, he is going to get pushed to the moon right away..

Elite/CHAOS 8 man tag was a lot of fun and it was just a great match. Omega directly pinning Okada is surprising, but it makes a lot of sense, because you want the challenger to look as strong as possible heading into WK11 main event. I still think Okada is winning though. *** 3/4.

EVIL/Shibata was what everyone expected, a great hard hitting match. I don't think many people saw EVIL winning coming, but it makes a lot of sense. This title was created to elevate people, and that's how you elevate someone. It's going to be interesting in which direction they go now, there are a lot of possibilites. Ishii, Goto, Makabe, Elgin, or maybe a rematch with Shibata. ****.

Also worth noting, Shibata didn't lose this one clean. They are clearly going to move him on to the bigger things in 2017.

Tanahashi/SANADA was a MOTN and this is actually something that everyone saw coming. Excellent match, I liked it as much as their G1 bout. Yep, Tanahashi is still the best big match performer on earth and it is not even close.**** 1/2.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:59 pm

Also it's time to do some predictions:

Omega/Okada

Naito/Tanahashi

KUSHIDA/Kamaitachi

G.O.D/WTL winners - Ishii and Goto

Shibata vs Shiozaki

EVIL vs Elgin

Bucks/RPG Vice

ACH & Ospreay & Ishimori vs Ricochet, Kojima and Finlay for the Trios titles

Fale, BUSHI, SANADA, Makabe, Honma, Marufuji, NJ Dads, Yoshi-Hashi - those guys will probably be on the show as well. Altough I'd see Makabe and SANADA in bigger matches though.

Big day for Former young lions today. Juice and Finlay winning their matches, Kamaitachi making a big return and EVIL winning the NEVER title.

sivapc

Post by sivapc » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:00 pm

rollup wrote:hoping for some title defence at the NJPW Singapore show for me to watch in person ...
dont get your hopes up

it will be road-to special CHAOS tag matches

source : me, from last year's show.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:54 pm

A really solid show, everything that could have been good was with some interesting surprises along the way. GoD V Ishii and Yoshi-Hashi was probably my favourite match of the show, somehow, but everything from that on was really fun (as was the 8 man opener). The Main Event went too long in front of a crowd who had already seen a lot and didn't really know Lethal, I thought they had the right idea with the house on fire start kicking it off with those dives but then they instantly dialled it back down. That said I thought Lethal had a good showing and in front of a more familiar crowd this would have been good, the one or two miscommunications were unfortunate but I kind of think that was Lethal wanting to speed it up and Naito wanting to slow it down, so I can't blame Lethal for those, especially as you might have some nerves in your first big New Japan main event.

Sanada and Tanahashi was really good, I thought they went a bit overkill on those counter sequences towards the end especially as they weren't nearly as fluid or as clever as AJ or Okada. Still it was very good, bordering on their G1 match for me, Sanada continues to shine in his singles outings hopefully they've got something interesting for him going into the new year.

KUSHIDA and BUSHI was easily the best match of their series for me, and I'm pleased KUSHIDA got the title back heading into what should be a great match at the dome. I hope LIJ get a new junior after the Dome and BUSHI can move to the tag scene, he's been very good in the multi mans but this was his first singles match since the return that I've loved so I think a tag challenge should be on the cards. (Especially if KUSHIDA, Ricochet, Ospreay and Takahashi are going to occupy the singles scene into 2017)

EVIL winning the NEVER is very interesting and I've no idea if they go with a rematch for the dome or something completely different. If they are still able to do Go/ Shibata at the dome maybe this is a way of moving the belt from Shibata so he can vanquish Go (a feud that doesn't really need the title anyway) and move straight on to bigger things, that being Naito at New Beginnings? So what does EVIL do? Honma? Yoshi-Hashi? Elgin?

With the Junior Tag match going to a 2 v 2 and the demotion of the HW Tag titles on this show could we see the heavies get the 8 man cluster the junior's usually get or will the quality of todays Heavy match be enough to lock Goto/ Ishii V GoD? You could easily add any 2 of: Briscoes, reDRagon, GBH, TenKoji and War Machine if you thought that gave you a better looking match (and it would get some faces on the card) of course the tag league makes it a bit more awkward from a logic perspective.

Either way this was a really good show and the dome is obviously shaping up very nicely indeed!

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:54 pm

Loved the show. Not as great as KOPW but not that far from it, either. Apparently all GOD needed was Tama calling every move on Tonga's behalf and a generous sprinkling of lightning quick Ishii and tremendous Tacos kickouts. I was on the edge of my damn seat.

Super Jr Tag outcome was a surprise but I'm kind of happy for it. Friendship won in the end, we're (probably) getting a two-on-two match and if RPG Vice wins, I'll be invested in that win because of the story they told. It's more progression than the Jr tag scene has had in a while so while it's not setting the world on fire, I welcome it.

Best KUSHIDA vs BUSHI match to date, absolutely loved KUSHI working heel. This guy can really do it all. Hyped for Hiromu, though I'm not sure about his punkrock phase jacket. Every kid's gotta grow up some day.

Loved Shibata vs EVIL, and have no problem with the winner. EVIL's shown so much progression and if he can have some nice strong style title defenses against the likes of Nagata, Goto, Ishii, I'm all for it. Tanahashi vs SANADA was great, too, but then I'm all in on SANADA. I actually preferred this to the G1, which I rewatched only a few hours before Power Struggle began, so it was fresh on my mind.

Main event was what it was - good but never great. Lethal thrives when he's part of a bigger story and there just wasn't one here, nor did the crowd believe at any point he could've won, so yeah.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:15 pm

Damn, I need to go back and rewatch the entire second half, when fatigue started to kick my ass. Everything after the GoD match (****) was inbetween three and four stars from me. EVIL/Shibata and CHAOS/BC were ***3/4, Tana/SANADA was ***1/2, BUSHI/KUSHIDA, Jr. Tag Finals, and Lethal/Naito were all ***1/4 to me. Those are all somewhat low ratings, but I enjoyed the show as a whole and thought it was very consistent in quality.

As far as Omega pinning Okada, I made a bigger deal than necessary about it on Reddit but thinking back about the whole year I can somewhat see Omega defeating Okada at the Dome. A small chance, but it's there. I like their interactions so far, but wish they'd be interacting a bit more together. Nothing wrong with building up as much chemistry as possible heading into the Dome.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:36 pm

Another really strong show from New Japan today. I happened to wake up and turn it on right as EVIL was entering, so I had great timing there. I thought that this was his best performance to date. I was shocked by the result - I just kind of assumed that SANADA, EVIL and BUSHI would be going after the Never 6-Man titles at the Dome - but EVIL definitely made a good argument for deserving the title with his performance today. During the G1 I wasn't clear on why so many people were saying that he'd improved so much (I thought he had a fine G1 but wasn't doing anything that he hadn't been doing throughout the year) but I thought that today he looked like he had really put everything together. Cool moment for him even if he winds up never successfully defending the belt and just loses it back to Shibata at Wrestle Kingdom.

Tanahashi/SANADA was great, probably about on par with their G1 match. I loved all of the reversals out of the Dragon Sleeper. I'm not sure whether I liked this match of the NEVER match better, but they were the highlights of the show for me.

I thought that the main event was well-worked but they just had too much going against them for the match to really catch fire. I'm a Jay Lethal fan and thought he did what he could here, but I suppose that to the average Japanese fan he's basically seen as being at about the level of someone like Rob Conway.

I went back and watched the rest of the show (skipping the BONE SOLDIER match because life is too short) and basically enjoyed everything. I actually thought that Tama Tonga countering YOSHI-HASHI's Karma with the Gun Stun was the spot of the night. I can't believe that I actually enjoyed the heavyweight tag match more than the junior one (which was fine, but just not as good as the match before it). I feel like I need to rewatch the BUSHI and KUSHIDA match; I was kind of bored with it even though it was fundamentally sound but it seems like the consensus was that it was the best match of their series.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:56 pm

Danwaka wrote:
Buzz Sawyer wrote:I don't consider that a Brass Knuckles type of championship. Openweight simply means that both Juniors and Heavies can hold the belt.
Buzz, come on. That title has never been held by a Junior and it's the hardest hitting matches in the entire company.
True, old school Bras Knuckles matches have lots and lots of blood. I don't see any of this in regards to the NEVER title. Also, didn't Juniors in Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish just had a shot of Shibata and the NEVER title within the past 60 days?
Who's Rob Viper ?

Larsosc

Post by Larsosc » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:04 pm

Hey gang, first time posting in a year or so.

I will go back and check out the GoD match since it's getting an unrealistic amount of praise and I missed it. All I know is that the jr. title match was fucking phenomenal. It didn't feature any crazy stunts really and I believe both guys kept it in the ring for a good 90% of the match, but it was an incredible play on KUSHIDA's desire for the jr. title. KUSHIDA didn't wrestle like he usually does with fan favorite moves, he kept going for that arm and drove himself to use despicable tactics unlike him like pulling off the mask, running at BUSHI from the bat and pummeling him on ref's discretion because he was dead set on winning the title back. It elevates the title and the division so much on a whole, seeing someone so dedicated to their position. KUSHIDA was obviously going for a shock factor here and it definitely worked with the crowd booing him at certain points and even rallying behind BUSHI who would otherwise have been the clear heel. The match had real heat and told an organic story that really made KUSHIDA's motives fully transpire and it was SO CAPTIVATING for that reason. Not to mention fantastic in-ring work.

I feel like I'm alone on an island here because I haven't seen anybody else sing it the same praises I have, but for me it's a ****1/2 match, easy. It popped out of the screen. That's the only real hot take I have on a show with nothing but solid work and a handful of matches scraping 4 stars and over. How are NJPW successfully building up WK11 with the same level of excitement as previous years after being raided and tornado'ed of main event talent? Because Gedo is one of the greatest minds in wrestling booking, baby. Sounding like I'm parroting VOW flagship but I'm not a contrarian and I'm persuaded by logical thinking. Besides, there's been a bunch of anecdotal evidence in this post-G1 season.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:22 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
ayaashm wrote:I liked his jacket. It randomly said "CIRCLE JERK" which was,something.
Circle Jerks is a band, are you sure there wasn't an "s" at the end?
It's def circle jerks. He's rocking a punk rock thrash vest. Think I saw a minor threat, black flag, and Suicidal Tendencies patch as well. Maybe Sloan can come in as punk rock consultant.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:33 pm

There's stuff for Black Flag's My War, Slip It In, and Police Story as well as Bad Brains, DRI, Circle Jerks, the Misfits, Dead Kennedys, Void, Bad Religion, and Negative Approach.

Couldn't make out any pins other than the Black Flag one

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:01 pm

I was just thinking about the Wrestle Kingdom card, how about this?

0. New Japan Rumble
1. Roppongi Vice vs Young Bucks – IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Title Match
2. Naomichi Marufuji, Toru Yano, Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma vs Adam Cole, Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi, Chase Owens
3. Ricochet, David Finlay, Satoshi Kojima vs ACH, Taiji Ishimori, X (Ibushi/Tiger Mask W maybe?) – Trios Title Match
4. SANADA & BUSHI vs YOSHI-HASHI & Will Ospreay– Special Tag Team Match
5. Katsuhiko Nakajima & Katsuyori Shibata vs Katsuhiko Nakajima & Go Shiozaki – NJPW vs NOAH
6. EVIL vs Michael Elgin – NEVER Openweight Title Match
7. G.O.D vs Tomohiro Ishii & Hirooki Goto (WTL Winners) – IWGP Tag Team Title Match
8. KUSHIDA vs Kamaitachi – IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match
9. Tetsuya Naito vs Hiroshi Tanahashi – IWGP Intercontinental Title Match
10. Kazuchika Okada © vs Kenny Omega – IWGP Heavyweight Title Match