NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Frank Olson

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:58 pm

I'm curious what role Will Ospreay will play at Wrestle Kingdom. ACH/Ishimori vs. Young Bucks and KUSHIDA vs. Ricochet do seem like logical and likely matches for the junior titles, and I could see guys like Beretta just being thrown in the Rambo, but it would be kind of weird for the BOSJ winner to just not have a match at the biggest show of the year. Maybe he'll be part of a CHAOS team going after the 6-man NEVER titles or something.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:11 pm

Really cool to see ACH being used as more than just a guy.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:45 pm

Such a fun house show today. If The Elite's goofball antics have a place, it's Korakuen Hall - just really enjoyed that stuff. Also really enjoyed the young lions opener and the two jr tag semi's. The RPG Vice story has added so much to the proceedings, and David Finlay is really coming to his own - the way he fires up is just so much fun.

Brian Stafford

Post by Brian Stafford » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:08 am

Don't miss out on ACH's post show interview by closing the World stream too early. The show overall was what it was.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:16 am

Brian Stafford wrote:Don't miss out on ACH's post show interview by closing the World stream too early. The show overall was what it was.
Thanks for the heads. I have to check this out.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:34 am

Guerrillas of Destiny (c) vs. Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI for the tag belts is third on the card at Power Struggle. I don't think I've ever seen the IWGP Tag Team Championship featured so early in a show.

Maybe Gedo has startlingly realized that the Guerrillas of Dead Crowds are not good.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:23 pm

I had a scary thought last night. Now that Ospreay and Gedo are a team and are working matches together, and since Ospreay is too hot not to feature in some way at WK11, Gedo will work him and Ospreay into the jr. tag match to create another clusterfuck.

Young Bucks vs. ACH/Ishimori vs. Ospreay/Gedo vs. X

'X' can be MCMG, Kotoge/Harada, BUSHI/Partner, or RPG Vice if they're still somehow together.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:47 pm

EvanDeadlySins wrote:Guerrillas of Destiny (c) vs. Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI for the tag belts is third on the card at Power Struggle. I don't think I've ever seen the IWGP Tag Team Championship featured so early in a show.

Maybe Gedo has startlingly realized that the Guerrillas of Dead Crowds are not good.
Keep in mind G.O.D were in the semi-main event in Invasion Attack, so they clearly expected them to do better.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:47 pm

Jacob's Bawks wrote:I had a scary thought last night. Now that Ospreay and Gedo are a team and are working matches together, and since Ospreay is too hot not to feature in some way at WK11, Gedo will work him and Ospreay into the jr. tag match to create another clusterfuck.

'X' can be MCMG, Kotoge/Harada, BUSHI/Partner, or RPG Vice if they're still somehow together.
Ospreay and Gedo lost in the first round, unless either of them pins Matt or Nick on Saturday, no chance in hell this happens. It better fucking be 2 on 2 this year.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:38 pm

Rainmaker_F7 wrote:
Jacob's Bawks wrote:I had a scary thought last night. Now that Ospreay and Gedo are a team and are working matches together, and since Ospreay is too hot not to feature in some way at WK11, Gedo will work him and Ospreay into the jr. tag match to create another clusterfuck.

Ospreay and Gedo lost in the first round, unless either of them pins Matt or Nick on Saturday, no chance in hell this happens. It better fucking be 2 on 2 this year.
The Bucks and RPG Vice were seemingly thrown into the Dominion and WK10 matches because Gedo doesn't know how to book the division. Ospreay isn't likely to be in the Jr. Title match, and he's a big star so unless they throw in a random singles match or put him in the Trios Title match, him and Gedo are going in the Jr. Tag Title match.

The Bucks are likely to be in Kenny's corner for the main event, same as Gedo for Okada. They can probably use the opener to hype up the main event. Maybe the Bucks take out Gedo and Okada is left by himself. Whatever the case, I don't see them using the Jr. Tag Title match in any way other than to get everybody else on the card, AGAIN.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:43 pm

It's also possible that after the RPG Vice breakup (assuming that they do breakup) that Ospreay and Beretta could form a tag team.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:30 am

POWER STRUGGLE CARD

Jushin Thunder Liger/Tiger Mask/Ricochet/David Finlay vs. Titan/Angel de Oro/Fuego/Ryusuke Taguchi
This is going to be so much better than the usual 8-man tag opener. The CMLL guys are so much fun to watch in New Japan

Togi Makabe/Tomoaki Honma/Yoshitatsu vs. Yujiro Takahashi/Chase Owens/BONE SOLDIER
This seems like it can safely be skipped.

IWGP Tag Team Titles: Guerillas of Destiny vs. Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI
Maybe Ishii and YOSHI-HASHI will win the titles and we can be spared G.O.D. at Wrestle Kingdom? Probably not though. This could be an okay match but it's probably best not to get our hopes up.

Super Junior Tag Tournament Finals: ACH & Taiji Ishimori vs. Roppongi Vice
This could be our last time hearing the awesome Roppongi Vice theme song. The junior tag tournament has been fun and these were two of the better teams in the tournament, so this should be a really entertaining match.

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship: BUSHI vs. KUSHIDA
Hard to get excited about this match even though it will probably be good. The fact that all the other members of LIJ are in high-profile matches later in the show could mean that there won't be too many shenanigans in this match, so there is a chance that this could be the best of their matches from this year. But I'm ready to move on to a different rivalry for the Junior Title.

Kazuchika Okada/Hirooki Goto/Will Ospreay/Gedo vs. Kenny Omega/Adam Cole/The Young Bucks
This could actually be really awesome. The six man tag on the most recent Road To show was really fun, and adding Hirooki Goto and Adam Cole isn't going to hurt. The guys in this match aren't the types to take the night off just because they're in an eight-man tag, so I actually have pretty high expectations for this.

NEVER Openweight Title: Katsuyori Shibata vs. EVIL
Their G1 match was pretty good, and this has a chance to be pretty great even though it is definitely a placeholder title defense. This should be pretty brutal.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. SANADA
Their G1 match was one of the highlights of the tournament, but they left room for the rematch to be even better. Tanahashi always delivers in big singles matches, so this has a chance to be MOTY level and I'd be surprised if it's not match of the night.

IWGP Intercontinental Championship: Tetsuya Naito vs. Jay Lethal
I think this match will be better than a lot of people are expecting. I thought these two showed really good chemistry at All Star Extravaganza. Jay Lethal hasn't impressed in his previous New Japan appearances, but I think he'll be more motivated now that he's in a bit spot. Plus Naito is so over that I think the crowd will get into this even though Lethal is relatively obscure in Japan.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:26 am

I'm thinking that the new LIJ member is revealed during/after the Jr match to face KUSHIDA at the Dome.

kamaitachi

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:44 am

I think we'll be surprised by the IWGP Tag Title match. The Briscoes were part of the reason the title matches were so boring because the crowd didn't know them, and both Guerillas are getting a little tighter with their moves and spots.

Ishii and YH are better workers than Makabe, they're not on a major downswing like Honma, and they can work the crowd better than The Briscoes. I'm going to be optimistic and say the match will be a pleasant surprise in the 3.5 star range.

jesse

Post by jesse » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:05 am

The junior title match is positioned to around when the Time Bomb is going off.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy