NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
pol

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by pol » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:24 pm

Scott Norton would be a better Time Bomb than whatever it actually is.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:33 pm

pol wrote:Scott Norton would be a better Time Bomb than whatever it actually is.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:46 pm

I saw Scott Norton in person a couple of years ago and he was about my size physically, like a different human than anyone would ever remember, like when an NFL player gets off the gas after they retire and instantly shrink down to a normal size. He's also 55 years old and wasn't very good 20 years ago when he was in his physical prime.

The Timebomb is bound to be a letdown because these types of things always are in wrestling, but I'd be floored if it was Scott Norton or if Norton was coming back to wrestle.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:31 am

Joe Lanza wrote:I saw Scott Norton in person a couple of years ago and he was about my size physically, like a different human than anyone would ever remember, like when an NFL player gets off the gas after they retire and instantly shrink down to a normal size. He's also 55 years old and wasn't very good 20 years ago when he was in his physical prime.

The Timebomb is bound to be a letdown because these types of things always are in wrestling, but I'd be floored if it was Scott Norton or if Norton was coming back to wrestle.
Are you sure you didn't meet Alan Faneca?

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:56 pm

It is very much out there this week that Ricochet is sticking around with New Japan for another year. But I am hearing likewise for The Young Bucks. The money WWE is offering is said to be the issue.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:06 pm

rovert wrote:It is very much out there this week that Ricochet is sticking around with New Japan for another year. But I am hearing likewise for The Young Bucks. The money WWE is offering is said to be the issue.
I figured Ricochet was staying since he himself said he has big news about his career to announce that was not related to WWE or NXT several weeks ago. Tessa is also getting a lot more work in Japan so one could infer he is staying for a long while.

If it's true the Young Bucks are staying, I'm quite shocked. I expected them to be gone when their RoH contract expires seeing as how they themselves said people shouldn't be shocked to see them in WWE soon. I don't know about Ricochet, but the Bucks come off as marks for themselves so I wouldn't be surprised they felt like they deserved more money, unless they were going to ship them straight to NXT under a developmental deal.

Needless to say, I'm stoked they're staying.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:07 pm

Jacob's Bawks wrote:
rovert wrote:It is very much out there this week that Ricochet is sticking around with New Japan for another year. But I am hearing likewise for The Young Bucks. The money WWE is offering is said to be the issue.
I figured Ricochet was staying since he himself said he has big news about his career to announce that was not related to WWE or NXT several weeks ago. Tessa is also getting a lot more work in Japan so one could infer he is staying for a long while.

If it's true the Young Bucks are staying, I'm quite shocked. I expected them to be gone when their RoH contract expires seeing as how they themselves said people shouldn't be shocked to see them in WWE soon. I don't know about Ricochet, but the Bucks come off as marks for themselves so I wouldn't be surprised they felt like they deserved more money, unless they were going to ship them straight to NXT under a developmental deal.

Needless to say, I'm stoked they're staying.
Well, it's probably the same case as it was with AJ. They are just going to take the offer with most money. If they know that they would make more with roh/njpw contract and mechandise money than they would with wwe contracts(or if it is more, maybe for the same amount of dates they would make more money with roh/njpw) , then there is no reason for them to take it. That simple.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:03 pm

Can anyone think of a worse match this year in New Japan than Yoshi Tatsu and Nakanishi vs Yujiro and BONE SOLIDER?

Felt like I was watching a bad match from Tenryu's retirement show but without any heat or nostalgic crowd reactions..
Last edited by Empiresk on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamboat

Post by Dreamboat » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:09 pm

Jacob's Bawks wrote:I don't know about Ricochet, but the Bucks come off as marks for themselves
Read his "wrestling is an art" tweet and you'll figure out quick whether or not Ricochet is a mark for himself. Shame the Bucks are sticking around but it's not like I watch their matches
Empiresk wrote:Can anyone think of a worse match this year in New Japan that Yoshi Tatsu and Nakanishi vs Yujiro and BONE SOLIDER?
It could have been decidedly worse; Chase Owens could have been involved

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:14 pm

I am short on time today so I only caught the main event of today's show but man, what a freaking match this was..

I just got done watching BOLA and Bucks had 2 MOTY candidates there, and here they have their probably best NJPW match this year. I mean, just an insane spotfest, and the Korakuen Hall crowd was great and it helped a lot. There were 2-3 sloppy moments, but it didn't really matter because the match was excellent anyway. I fully expect Meltzer to give it **** 1/2 or **** 3/4, because he loves this kind of stuff and well, it's the Young Bucks.

I haven't seen much of ACH & Taiji team in NOAH, but they were incredible here and they got over with the crowd very quickly. They won as expected, I am sure they are winning the tournament as well. The real question is: are we finally getting the 2 vs 2 match this year, or is it going to be another 3 or 4 way?

Hopefully not. I hope rematch from this show openes Wrestle Kingdom 11, because those guys are going to tear the house down there. Idk about other matches from this show, but everyone needs to see this main event, great stuff.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:52 pm

Empiresk wrote:Can anyone think of a worse match this year in New Japan than Yoshi Tatsu and Nakanishi vs Yujiro and BONE SOLIDER?

Felt like I was watching a bad match from Tenryu's retirement show but without any heat or nostalgic crowd reactions..
Haven't watched it yet, but in no way could it have been worse than Liger vs. Taichi, or Aoyagi vs. Taichi.
Rainmaker_F7 wrote:I haven't seen much of ACH & Taiji team in NOAH, but they were incredible here and they got over with the crowd very quickly. They won as expected, I am sure they are winning the tournament as well. The real question is: are we finally getting the 2 vs 2 match this year, or is it going to be another 3 or 4 way?

Hopefully not. I hope rematch from this show openes Wrestle Kingdom 11, because those guys are going to tear the house down there. Idk about other matches from this show, but everyone needs to see this main event, great stuff.
I really, really, REALLY hope ACH/Ishimori win this. I hope the angle with RPG Vice isn't just leading to them finding their groove and start winning again because they're really not a special team.

I've ragged on ACH a lot on Reddit, but this pairing with Ishimori is really good and has me wanting to watch him for the first time ever. What little NOAH tag league stuff of their's I've watched was also good but the rest is in my ever expanding backlog ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I say we get a multi-man match at the Dome, but win or lose they'll keep teaming more often, hopefully in New Japan.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:18 pm

Jacob's Bawks wrote:
Empiresk wrote:Can anyone think of a worse match this year in New Japan than Yoshi Tatsu and Nakanishi vs Yujiro and BONE SOLIDER?

Haven't watched it yet, but in no way could it have been worse than Liger vs. Taichi, or Aoyagi vs. Taichi.
Taichi single handedly killed the Super J Cup and any excitement I had of the possibility of Suzuki Gun returning to New Japan, and I am usually alot kinder on Taichi than most people. Liger vs Taichi is up there for Worst Match of the Year for me for the single fact they wasted Eita vs Liger for that clusterfuck.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:40 pm

Empiresk wrote:
Jacob's Bawks wrote:

Taichi single handedly killed the Super J Cup and any excitement I had of the possibility of Suzuki Gun returning to New Japan, and I am usually alot kinder on Taichi than most people. Liger vs Taichi is up there for Worst Match of the Year for me for the single fact they wasted Eita vs Liger for that clusterfuck.
There are other matches that may have had worse work (if that's possible), but them pulling that crap in a match that had that much weight behind it makes it the worst in my eyes. A BONE SOLDIER match is never important; they know that, you know that, so there's no reason to try and make it seem like it's anything different.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:46 pm

Rainmaker_F7 wrote:I am short on time today so I only caught the main event of today's show but man, what a freaking match this was..

I just got done watching BOLA and Bucks had 2 MOTY candidates there, and here they have their probably best NJPW match this year. I mean, just an insane spotfest, and the Korakuen Hall crowd was great and it helped a lot. There were 2-3 sloppy moments, but it didn't really matter because the match was excellent anyway. I fully expect Meltzer to give it **** 1/2 or **** 3/4, because he loves this kind of stuff and well, it's the Young Bucks.

I haven't seen much of ACH & Taiji team in NOAH, but they were incredible here and they got over with the crowd very quickly. They won as expected, I am sure they are winning the tournament as well. The real question is: are we finally getting the 2 vs 2 match this year, or is it going to be another 3 or 4 way?

From what I bolded in the above statement, is why the Young Bucks are boring and don't know how to work. Insane spotfest and MOTY shouldn't be in the same sentence. Bob Backlund vs. Ken Patera Texas Death Match from MSG in 1980 was a great match. Patterson/Slaughter in 1981 was the same. A match to be great needs to have a beginning , a middle and an ending. A spotfest isn't any of those things mentioned. There also needs to be psychology, which is another thing that most spotfest matches don't have.
Who's Rob Viper ?

jesse

Post by jesse » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:52 am

ACH and Ishimori don't have to win the tournament after beating the Bucks. By doing that they've earned a title shot. I actually think it would be better for them to not win and come back for the WK match.

Thought the best part of the whole show were the young lions. They finally showed some fire.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy