NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
itsberlo

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by itsberlo » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:35 pm

I may be in the minority but I liked Goto/Omega more so than KOR/Shibata. Both were great matches but I just thought the former was a bit better than the latter. It could be, and this is going to get me a ton of heat, that I really cannot get into O'Reilly. I do not think he is terrible by any means. It is just that there is something missing that would make him great in my eyes.

MOTN for me for sure was Okada/Marufuji. The finishing sequence in that match was incredible. Okada may be the best finish guy on the planet right now.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:46 am

Garuda wrote:Amazing show. Not only were those top three matches outstanding, the undercard was something special. Maybe it helped that I skipped the GoD and CHAOS vs. GBH/Fish/Taguchi match, but everything I saw was at least three stars.

The NOAH vs. 3rd Generation tag was borderline four, and although I think I'm on an island on this, I thought the Jr. Tag title match was legit four stars. Loved it.

Crazy card.
Bucks/Rico&Fin ****
KOR/Shibata ****1/4
Omega/Goto ****1/2
Okada/Maru ****1/2

Very enjoyable show, the only match that didn't work for me was Briscoes/GOD, which was a 2-star special. Everything else was *** or better. Working shoes were on. A home run show from every perspective. Shocked how well it did at the gate. I thought 8000 would have been a good number, blown away they nearly touched 10k.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:26 am

Joe Lanza wrote:Shocked how well it did at the gate. I thought 8000 would have been a good number, blown away they nearly touched 10k.
I was shocked too, and I was being fairly optimistic about the attendance. It was the freshest main event in a long time, and I guess lots of NOAH fans showed up too. Bad booking in NOAH doesn't erase the talent that's there.

With Naito and Omega being so over in Tokyo and New Japan's current upward trend, I expect Wrestle Kingdom to surpass 30,000 at the very least. The optimist in me hopes for 32500+, but idk how feasible that is.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:24 am

Just finished watching the show and thought it was great, probably my second favorite New Japan show of the year (behind Wrestle Kingdom, obviously). I even thought the IWGP Tag Team Title match was decent (it started off very boring and mediocre like all G.O.D. matches, but there were some cool spots in the closing stretch). I loved the whole reDRagon vs. Shibata saga and thought that O'Reilly vs. Shibata was a pretty much ideal climax. O'Reilly's mouth guard slowly falling out of his mouth was a great visual to end the match, and Shibata showing a rare sign of respect to reDRagon at the end felt like a big moment. All three phases of Shibata's NEVER Title year (the smashmouth Ishii feud, the feud with the Dads, and now this feud with reDRagon) have ruled. I really liked Goto vs. Omega. I thought they did a much better job of working in memorable prop spots (that table/guardrail bump that Omega took was sick) than Omega and Elgin did in their ladder match at Dominion (where they did so much at such a rapid pace that nothing really stood out). It seems weird that Goto's best matches this year have been with Omega, but those two have a weirdly good chemistry. Okada vs. Marufuji was a tremendous main event. It really had a big fight feel, and I thought that Okada's selling down the stretch was just incredible. I know there are a lot of people who are down on Okada now, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I look at performances like this (and he's had a number of performances of this caliber this year) and I just can't fathom not being a fan of the guy. I'm thrilled for Okada vs. Omega at the Tokyo Dome.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:31 am

Just out of interest does anybody know who was playing Red Death Mask? Jushin and Tiger weren't on the show but the body type didn't really seem like either of them. Could've been one of the young lions but I'm not sure.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:02 am

mrjoshdude wrote:Just out of interest does anybody know who was playing Red Death Mask? Jushin and Tiger weren't on the show but the body type didn't really seem like either of them. Could've been one of the young lions but I'm not sure.
Well whoever it was had to have access to BUSHI's black lipstick...

We'll need blueprints of the locker room to get to the bottom of this.

Dreamboat

Post by Dreamboat » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:21 am

mrjoshdude wrote:Just out of interest does anybody know who was playing Red Death Mask? Jushin and Tiger weren't on the show but the body type didn't really seem like either of them. Could've been one of the young lions but I'm not sure.
I've heard Michael Nakazawa and Juice Robinson. Hoping it's the first one

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:03 am

Junior Tag Team tournament final

G.O.D vs Ishii & Yoshi-Hashi for tag titles

BUSHI vs KUSHIDA for Junior title

Shibata vs EVIL for NEVER title

Tanahashi vs SANADA

Naito vs Elgin for IC title

Also Shibata vs Shiozaki and GBH vs Maru & Yano has been announced for the NOAH Great Voyage on 10/23 in Yokohama.

AlphabetJones

Post by AlphabetJones » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:57 am

Power Struggle is shaping up to be an awesome show. Really looking forward to Tanahashi/Sanada II. I'm guessing GO beats Shibata at the NOAH show, setting up the title match for the Dome? Unless they're faking us out and we really are getting Suzuki/Shibata.

Speaking of, I wouldn't rule out the Time Bomb being Suzuki on the basis of NOAH not being able to survive without SZKG. If Marufuji can work the entire G1, Suzuki can certainly work January 4 and the dates around it.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:18 am

Names I've heard bantered about for Timebomb, and I'm excluding no one, even if the intent wasn't serious:

Minoru Suzuki
Akebono
Cody Hall
Shinya Aoki
The Ryback
Kota Ibushi
Kamaitachi
Marty Scurll
Masakatsu Funaki
Cody Rhodes

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:53 am

AlphabetJones wrote:Power Struggle is shaping up to be an awesome show. Really looking forward to Tanahashi/Sanada II. I'm guessing GO beats Shibata at the NOAH show, setting up the title match for the Dome? Unless they're faking us out and we really are getting Suzuki/Shibata.

Speaking of, I wouldn't rule out the Time Bomb being Suzuki on the basis of NOAH not being able to survive without SZKG. If Marufuji can work the entire G1, Suzuki can certainly work January 4 and the dates around it.

Yep, I think Go beats Shibby at Great Voyage too. While Shiozaki is clearly not a draw, the idea of Shibata beating the living shit out of him may be a huge attraction :lol:

I think other NOAH guys will be at WK too. I am assuming GHC title will be defended, and how about Nakajima vs Nagata? Unless they do it at Destiny, which is possible too. But I guess other NOAH guys may work the show as well, and I am sure Maru will be there.

pol

Post by pol » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:26 am

Jacob's Bawks wrote:With Naito and Omega being so over in Tokyo and New Japan's current upward trend, I expect Wrestle Kingdom to surpass 30,000 at the very least. The optimist in me hopes for 32500+, but idk how feasible that is.
lol you are crazy

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:57 am

KOPW was an excellent show! I couldn't argue with anyone who has any of the top 3 as their MOTN, they were all great in their own way.

I think the NEVER match might be Shibata's best match this year, although I am a bit biased as Kyle is a favourite of mine! Speaking of, it really felt like a bit of a break out match for O'Reilly in new japan and I'd love to see them do something with him, surely next year's G1 is a lock at the least? Shibata's doing great things with the NEVER belt by the way, by far the best storytelling the belt has had.

Goto and Omega was probably a shade below the G1 final but still a superb match, Goto was fantastic here, I don't know if they have an end in sight for his story but they're playing it up so much is a career v title match out of the question? Either way Omega would be the perfect guy to take the title from if he is ever to win it, they have fantastic chemistry together.

The main event was my MOTN, I can't believe the lack of wrestler of the year chatter for Okada he has great match after great match and his ability to create unique closing sequences in 2016s over saturated market is genuinely unbelievable ("he's on a whole other level"). The closing stretch of this had me going crazy, and I knew the result! Excellent match, excellent show, looking forward to watching it all again in Japanese for a slightly different view!

I also think the undercard seems a lot more focused in recent months and the roster on the whole is in it's best place for some time as a result.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:11 pm

Meltzer praised KOPW, called it one of the best show he has seen whole year, and the final 3 matches were excellent. He talked about Okada-Maru like he thought it was a 5* match, so don't be surprised if that is the rating he is going to give it. He also said the booking was phenomenal, especially the angle after Shibata's match.

He also said that Elgin "may need a surgery" and if he does, he will not wrestle Naito at Power Struggle. Well, let's hope it is all ok and he will not need it.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:23 pm

We have a partial card for Power Struggle as well as the Jr Tag League participants:

Power Struggle
11/5/2016 EDION Arena Osaka

Super Jr. Tag Tournament 2016 ~ Final Round Match:
IWGP Tag Championship Match: Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa vs. Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI
IWGP Junior Championship Match: BUSHI vs. KUSHIDA
NEVER Openweight Championship Match: Katsuyori Shibata vs. EVIL
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. SANADA
IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match: Tetsuya Naito vs. Michael Elgin

Jr Tag League lineup:

Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask IV
Ryusuke Taguchi & Fuego
Angel de Oro & Titan
Rocky Romero & Barreta
Ricochet & David Finlay
Will Ospreay & Gedo
Taiji Ishimori & ACH