NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Rainmaker_F7

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:05 pm

jesse wrote:Shibata's been pulled from the rest of the tour. See you at KOPW PK man.
Kinda sucks that we'll not see that Nagata & Shibata vs reDRagon tag match, but that's obviously the right decision to give him a rest for the next 3 weeks. Hopefully his condition will be much better then.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:19 am

I'd be perfectly fine with Kyle vs. Nagata.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:32 am

I'd almost rather they vacate the title and make it O'Reilly vs. Nagata, then have Shibata come back when he's healthy to put over O'Reilly before going to do the NOAH stuff.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:00 pm

You know a show is uneventful when there's no discussion here following it and no reviews ANYWHERE.

What did everyone think of the show? I only caught the second half but it was alright. Bucks/Briscoes was pretty good, Cole/Ospreay was clunky because it seemed like they were operating on completely different wavelengths. I had to do something and missed Fale/Okada, but I'll go back and watch. While YH/Omega was good, YH lacked his fire and confidence while Omega did Omega things. Personally, I thought the heel control segments went on far too long and would have liked it to have been less lopsided.

Personal ratings:

Briscoes vs. Bucks- ***1/2
Cole vs. Ospreay- **3/4
Omega vs. YH- ***1/4-***3/4. Still need to think about this one.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:13 pm

The show did 2801 attendance. The supposed max capacity is supposed to be over 6,000, but this is just slightly below Nakamura/Nagata last year and All Together II which did a 3,500 "sellout" a few years ago. Though, both numbers were likely inflated. Make of this what you will, because I'm confused as fuck. If this main event drew almost as well as a possibly inflated Nakamura main event, I guess it's a success.

The overall attendance for this tour so far in 16,518. They only have two shows left to catch up to last year's 26,655, which isn't gonna happen. They'll be close if they sell out Kobe, but overall I guess this 3 PPV experiment is a bust seeing as how they made no more money than last year, and likely lost money because of the cost of running these shows live.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:27 pm

Shibata/Sabre was already announced for October RevPro/NJPW shows, so I guess Shibata/O'Reilly is also happening, probably at KOPW.

I really liked Okada/Fale. Okada was soo great in this match, in my opinion one of the best performances of his career, and this is saying something. **** match for me. Kinda surprised they aren't doing a title match at the iPPV in NZ.

Briscoes/Bucks was that kind of a match that would be a MOTY candidate in PWG or ROH, but in NJPW it was "just" another great match. Those guys did a lot and I loved the story they told. I saw a lot of people calling it a bad or just a solid match, but for me it was an excellent match even though there wasn't a great heat or anything like this. This came off like the Bucks were playing underdog babyfaces which was very surprising. If we forget about GBH/G&A in Niigata, this was a first great IWGP TT title match since what, 2 years? And now of course we have to go back to FUCKING TANGA ROA. Jesus, hopefully Briscoes retain and we get a decent TT title match for the Dome like them vs Ishii & Goto or Sanada & Evil. Please, not G.O.D again. Not just before Dome ffs. **** match for me, I will have to rewatch it though.

Cole/Ospreay was.. weird. It's Will Ospreay so you'd figure out this match will be great, but Cole wasn't particularly very good here. I find him very overrated and I think he disappointed here. I was expecting a +**** match, but it was definitely not that good. *** 1/4.

Y-H/Omega was a very good match. Not disappointed, but it didn't blow me away like NJ main events usually do. As soon as they showed Goto at ringside I knew what is happening. Briscoes & Goto & Ishii/GOD & Fale & Omega is happening in Kobe, so I think Goto will pin Omega or maybe Fale to set up their Tokyo Dome title shot match at KOPW. Also Kenny's post match promo was so cringy and fucking lame, and "typical NJPW booking" line was just the worst. I can't take this guy seriously if he says shit like this. *** 3/4.

Also LIJ/Tana and Friends was a great match. I have only seen last 5 minutes or so but it was great. Elgin works so hard, he will be super motivated on Sunday to have a MOTYC with Naito. Check this out if you haven't.

Overall a very good show, definitely better than Tokyo. It looks like we're getting Okada-Marufuji, Shibata-O'Reilly, Goto-Omega, G.O.D-Briscoes + Naito & Tana probably in tag matches, BUSHI's 1st defense and Juniors TT title match or Trios title match at King Of Pro Wrestlng(I heard that Cole and Bucks are booked for KOPW). Should be a fantastic show.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:30 pm

Jacob's Bawks wrote:The show did 2801 attendance. The supposed max capacity is supposed to be over 6,000, but this is just slightly below Nakamura/Nagata last year and All Together II which did a 3,500 "sellout" a few years ago. Though, both numbers were likely inflated. Make of this what you will, because I'm confused as fuck. If this main event drew almost as well as a possibly inflated Nakamura main event, I guess it's a success.

The overall attendance for this tour so far in 16,518. They only have two shows left to catch up to last year's 26,655, which isn't gonna happen. They'll be close if they sell out Kobe, but overall I guess this 3 PPV experiment is a bust seeing as how they made no more money than last year, and likely lost money because of the cost of running these shows live.
The cards were diluted enough when they split these lesser 'PPV's' into two shows, yet alone three. Not that I hoped New Japan would do bad business with this three show experiment, but a part of me is kind of pleased it wasn't a roaring success, as these Destruction shows have been a strange blend of house show undercard and a PPV Midcard on top.

Looking forward to King of Pro Wrestling (which I will actually be at in person!) it looks like Gedo has kindly booked me a nice bathroom break- that's if what looks likely to the next IWGP Tag Team title match will be booked for that show. Sometimes I find I'm at a show and I don't want to miss any of the action, but then I might need to take a piss at some point during the show. Well that's where GOD come in handy :lol:

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:04 pm

Rainmaker_F7 wrote:Cole/Ospreay was.. weird. It's Will Ospreay so you'd figure out this match will be great, but Cole wasn't particularly very good here. I find him very overrated and I think he disappointed here. I was expecting a +**** match, but it was definitely not that good. *** 1/4.
I wouldn't pin it all on Cole here. Ospreay's been great in short bursts in tag matches, but the match with Taguchi was the last really good singles match he's had in NJPW and that's been three and a half months. Cole works slower and stiffer and is usually good, but Ospreay doesn't compliment him very well. There was that one moment where Ospreay ran up and did a Spanish Fly and Cole didn't jump and it made me wonder if the two weren't communicating well. Ospreay is great in spot-fests or as a plucky underdog getting his ass beat and screaming very loud, but neither really applied here. Same with the Sydal and Titan matches which were just okay, and the second KUSHIDA match which KUSHIDA carried. I might not be familiar with enough of his work, but the more I watch his NJPW stuff, the more I come to see him as a one-note performer. I'm gonna be watching BOLA but and British indie recommendations are welcome.
Tigerkinney wrote:Looking forward to King of Pro Wrestling (which I will actually be at in person!)
Ayyye! Congrats dude!

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:21 pm

When I think about it... yeah, since BOSTJ all Ospreay's matches are underwhelming. Whether it was against KUSHIDA, Titan, Sydal or Cole, they were all missing something. Their styles just didn't click and they didn't have great chemistry. But that doesn't change my opinion about Cole though.

Ospreay/Strickland from PROGRESS Chapter 35 was a great match. Also apparently his matches with Dunne and Bailey in RevPro were great, but I haven't seen them yet.

jesse

Post by jesse » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:28 pm

I've heard since before the G1 that New Japan were looking for a junior tag partner to team with BUSHI. All this talk of divisions merging was always really off base to me. GOD is more than likely winning the belts back at KOPW and I'd be willing to bet Goto and Ishii/Tacos will win the tag league.

I don't understand why people think Goto is taking Shibata's place when it comes to challenging Omega. Shibata has the match with Kyle then probably the match against Honma again. Shibata is eventually going to drop that NEVER belt to EVIL. You also have to keep in mind they're booking 2 things right now: CHAOS vs Bullet Club and LIJ vs Seikigun. It might seem odd that Goto gets the next challenge but if you look at it as Omega beating everyone in CHAOS before he gets to Okada it isn't that strange. After Goto it's probably going to be Ishii at Power Struggle.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:37 pm

Ospreay British recs:

Vs. Pete Dunne Rev Pro Summer Sizzler
Vs. Mike Baliey Rev Pro Angle Vs. Sabre
Vs. Zack Sabre Jr Rev Pro Live At The Cockpit 6
Vs. Marty Scrull Rev Pro High Stakes
Vs. Shane Strickland PROGRESS Chapter 35
Vs. Zack Sabre Jr PROGRESS Chapter 34
Vs. Mark Haskins PROGRESS Chapter 33

All from this year. I thought Cole looked lethargic, and I do enjoy him in PWG. I just thought he'd show more energy in front of a new audience.

wac

Post by wac » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:36 pm

Cole's been pretty mediocre this year, and I used to really love him. The O'Reilly match at Mania weekend was the last really good singles match I've seen him in, and even in PWG he's underdelivered. His performances just all feel very one note right now. I haven't caught up on the J Cup yet but I thought the second Ospreay/KUSHIDA match was really good. Ospreay's best (non-BOLA) recent matches have been the Sabre match at Chapter 34 and the Strickland match at Chapter 35, but one that hasn't been mentioned yet is his WCPW match against Martin Kirby. Fantastic match:

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:06 am

jesse wrote:I've heard since before the G1 that New Japan were looking for a junior tag partner to team with BUSHI. All this talk of divisions merging was always really off base to me. GOD is more than likely winning the belts back at KOPW and I'd be willing to bet Goto and Ishii/Tacos will win the tag league.

I don't understand why people think Goto is taking Shibata's place when it comes to challenging Omega. Shibata has the match with Kyle then probably the match against Honma again. Shibata is eventually going to drop that NEVER belt to EVIL. You also have to keep in mind they're booking 2 things right now: CHAOS vs Bullet Club and LIJ vs Seikigun. It might seem odd that Goto gets the next challenge but if you look at it as Omega beating everyone in CHAOS before he gets to Okada it isn't that strange. After Goto it's probably going to be Ishii at Power Struggle.
I thought about it during school, and I think you're right about Goto. This is the same route Naito took to get to the title, against the same people too (except Yano). GoD is definitely taking the titles back because they need a heel team to put over a babyface team at the Dome. I personally like the combination of Goto/Ishii more than YH/Ishii, but Goto can afford to do nothing for a while whereas YH probably can't and they should capitalize on his momentum.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'll try to watch as many as I can. For clarification, I wasn't pinning the match's problems on Ospreay, I just thought Ospreay's issues needed to be addressed. I agree that Cole deserves blame for not really showing a lot of energy.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:36 am

Disappointing show today. Briscoes vs. Bucks was probably the best match on the card but it was really hurt by the Hiroshima crowd not being invested in the Briscoes at all (which is a shame since they are one of my favorite tag teams), and also by the fact that the world's most boring tag team G.O.D. came out for the challenge at the end. Even though the Bucks' shtick is starting to wear thin for me I was sort of hoping that they'd win the belts here, both because I think them potentially holding a ton of titles at once (the IWGP Junior and Heavyweight Titles, the ROH Titles if they win the upcoming Ladder War match, the NEVER 6-man belts if they win that upcoming match) would work for their gimmick and because I think they would feel fresh mixing it up with the heavyweights whereas it feels like we've seen them against every junior team a billion times.

I thought Cole vs. Ospreay was good, aside from the noticeably botched Spanish Fly. I'm neither as down on Cole as many of the people on this forum or as high on him as many people elsewhere, but I thought he had a better performance here than Lethal did in any of his Japanese title defenses. Cole seemed to be reasonably over with the crowd considering that many of the people in attendance have probably never seen him before (outside of that one tag match that nobody remembers from the 2014 G1 Climax). I still really like Ospreay and have enjoyed all of his NJPW work to date.

Okada vs. Fale was solid, but I definitely preferred their G1 match and the Invasion Attack match from last year. As soon as I saw Yujiro come out with Fale I knew that the match was going to be hurt by his tedious interference spots. Okada showed great fire in this match though, and it was cool to see him bust out some lucha-style moves that we don't normally see from him.

I was very disappointed in the Omega vs. YOSHI-HASHI match, which I would say is probably the worst New Japan big show main event of the year so far (the Okada vs. Goto New Beginnings match didn't live up to its great build, but in a vacuum I think it's at least a solidly worked match). To me it felt like Omega was regressing back to the work style he used in some of his more boring Junior Title defenses, when he was relying too much on Young Bucks interference and that stupid cold spray. Going into the match there was this nice little story about YOSHI-HASHI finally getting this big break and then it felt like he barely got to do anything because the match was so dominated by Bullet Club shenanigans. It's a shame because they had a great match in the G1.

throwstuff165

Post by throwstuff165 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:57 am

****1/4 for Bucks/Briscoes, high-end **** for Okada/Fale from me. Cole/Ospreay and Omega/Tacos were both hovering somewhere in the ***1/2 range.

Middling show overall but I liked it better than Tokyo.