NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
H.U.S.T.L.E.

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Wed May 04, 2016 1:49 pm

wac wrote:I'm hyped as hell for BOSJ, THAT B BLOCK

A BLOCK:
KUSHIDA
Ryusuke Taguchi
Kyle O'Reilly
Matt Sydal
Rocky Romero
Gedo
BUSHI
Matt Jackson

B BLOCK:
Jushin Thunder Liger
Tiger Mask IV
Bobby Fish
Barreta
Nick Jackson
Ricochet
Volador Jr.
Will Ospreay
Woo boy, this is a great line-up.

I know people complain about the junior tag division a fair amount, but one of the things that's noticeable when you split up the teams for BOSJ is that you realize how most of them are great singles wrestlers too. O'Reilly, Fish, Ricochet, Sydal, Romero & Barreta can all go on their own and it makes these tournaments so much better since there's not a lot of dead weight. I'm not a huge fan of the Bucks work as singles guys, but they make things watchable with their silliness.

Also, I'm guessing that Ospreay/Ricochet will be the final match to decide B Block... less sure of the top 2 in A Block. I think KUSHIDA is going to be the winner, but who faces him? I could see O'Reilly again, or maybe another match with BUSHI. Hell, I could even see Sydal facing him to decide the block.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Wed May 04, 2016 1:57 pm

Reading Lanza's review of the show, I couldn't help but agree with his review of the IWGP Junior Tag Team title match, as I too am getting bored with people groaning about the Junior Tag Title's changing hands too frequently. Both them and the NEVER 6 Man belts are just not worth getting worked up over, they are the two least important title's in the New Japan title hierarchy. As Lanza himself as said plenty of times, not every belt needs to be protected like it's the NWA World Heavyweight Championship (when the NWA still meant something of course ).

This might seem odd, but whilst reading his review I could also empathize with Joe's flaky (girl)friend experience, as incidentally enough I'm experiencing a similar situation right now with a super cute/hot girl that share's similar interests (she likes anime, wrestling and Japanese culture) but doesn't want to commit beyond a casual relationship-which is a little frustrating, as other than her flakiness she really would be my ideal girlfriend.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Wed May 04, 2016 2:10 pm

Tigerkinney wrote:
This might seem odd, but whilst reading his review I could also empathize with Joe's flaky (girl)friend experience, as incidentally enough I'm experiencing a similar situation right now with a super cute/hot girl that share's similar interests (she likes anime, wrestling and Japanese culture) but doesn't want to commit beyond a casual relationship-which is a little frustrating, as other than her flakiness she really would be my ideal girlfriend.
Best of luck brother. My wife is a big pro graps and MMA fan, which absolutely rules. We plan vacations around UFC or WWE events and have met a whole bunch of cool people on our travels. When you can share pretty much everything with the person that you spend pretty much everyday with, it makes life that much more rewarding.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Wed May 04, 2016 2:14 pm

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:
Woo boy, this is a great line-up.

I know people complain about the junior tag division a fair amount, but one of the things that's noticeable when you split up the teams for BOSJ is that you realize how most of them are great singles wrestlers too. O'Reilly, Fish, Ricochet, Sydal, Romero & Barreta can all go on their own and it makes these tournaments so much better since there's not a lot of dead weight. I'm not a huge fan of the Bucks work as singles guys, but they make things watchable with their silliness.

Also, I'm guessing that Ospreay/Ricochet will be the final match to decide B Block... less sure of the top 2 in A Block. I think KUSHIDA is going to be the winner, but who faces him? I could see O'Reilly again, or maybe another match with BUSHI. Hell, I could even see Sydal facing him to decide the block.
I wouldn't really want to start speculating too deeply on who will win each Block, until the show line ups are announced- seeing how the matches are being laid out will give us a stronger indication as to who has a chance of advancing to the finals. But I agree that is looks like a pretty solid line up this year, with no obvious 0 for guy in the line-up this year.

From Block A- I have four possible winners in KUSHIDA, BUSHI, Kyle O'Reilly and Matt Sydal. If it's one of the other four that emerges to the finals I will very surprised.

Block B is surely going to come down to Ricochet and Will Ospreay. Can't really see anyone beyond those two topping the Block. I can honestly see everyone else in Block B cancelling each other out with a bunch of 3-4 records.

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Wed May 04, 2016 2:20 pm

I find the BOSJ very interesting this year with the lack of Young Lions. The fact there is not that guaranteed loss makes thing a little harder to predict. Ospreay seems to be the favorite but I feel this lineup is stacked enough where you could have 5 or 6 potential winners.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed May 04, 2016 8:25 pm

pol wrote:I skipped the first two matches, the trios title match and the heavyweight tag title match and this show still felt long. Every match underdelivered. I guess a lot of people loved it, but for me Naito taking 33 minutes to beat midcarder Ishii was not only terrible booking but made the match feel absolutely interminable. I was enjoying it at first and then it just kept going, and going, and going.

This might be the most masturbatory I've ever seen Okada get with his super-choreographed counter-counter-counter bullshit. I think SANADA could be really great when not working with that guy.

I guess your opinion on the BOSJ blocks will mostly be shaped by how much a fan you are of the NJPW regulars. For me that's a big ol' "whatever". Volador Jr. is just about the most boring possible pick for a CMLL representative. It doesn't help that I can't stand him as a singles worker—the dude just trades big spots back and forth without the escalation or transitions that make a match of that style work.

Pretty disappointing show after Invasion Attack being probably my SOTY at this point.
Your Okada point made me chuckle because it exemplifies how people can be on completely different planets when they watch the same match. I thought the hot reversal sequences made the match and set the stage for what will maybe be some great singles bouts between these two for years to come.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Thu May 05, 2016 1:33 am

Can the people who think KUSHIDA is winning the tournament explain to me why? Surely if he's winning one of the junior tournaments it's going to be the Super J, no?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu May 05, 2016 1:42 am

Robareid wrote:Can the people who think KUSHIDA is winning the tournament explain to me why? Surely if he's winning one of the junior tournaments it's going to be the Super J, no?
I think the existence of the Super J makes it more likely KUSHIDA could win the BoSJ, but I still don't think he will.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Thu May 05, 2016 3:33 am

Man, Dontaku was fucking great. And this BOSJ is STACKED. I really like every one of these participants, save Ryusuke Taguchi. I thought I had plateaued at apathy for Taguchi, but boy can I not stand him now. Everyone else is great. Maybe Tiger Mask is meh, but even he can give you something special here and there.

Dontaku was a lot of fun. Unlike the others that I've read, this junior tag really did something for me. I loved it, and I loved Goto/EVIL. The rest were solid, and the IWGP and the Jr. Heavyweight Match devilvering at ****1/4.

New Japan is just so much fun this year. I can't even guess who's winning this BOSJ. Only Ricochet and Will Ospraey feel remotely plausible from Black B. Block A I could imagine BUSHI, Kyle O'Reilly, KUSHIDA, and Matt Sydal as finalists. Maybe not Matt. But I could really only see BUSHI or KUSHIDA as potential winners from that pool. Probably Ospraey's year.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Thu May 05, 2016 4:04 am

Meltzer Ratings for Dontaku :

Ishii/Naito **** 1/2
Okada/Sanada ****
KUSHIDA/Liger ****
Nagata/Shibata *** 3/4
Jr. tag titles *** 1/2
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Thu May 05, 2016 10:23 am

Think Kyle O' Reilly wins the whole shebang this year. He's over with the fans and made it to the finals last year in a great wrestling match.
Who's Rob Viper ?

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Thu May 05, 2016 11:33 am

If I was ranking people I see as people who have an actual chance of winning I'd go:

1 - Kyle O'Reilly - 40% (protected, has magic matches with KUSHIDA, over, makes sense for KUSHIDA to get a defense in against him)
2 - Will Ospreay - 35% (he's signed now, they love him, may want to establish him after a loss to KUSHIDA)
3 - BUSHI - 10% (he's presented strong, able to mix it up with some of the top heavyweights.)
4 - Jushin Liger - 5% (seems like there's going to be another match w/ KUSHIDA, maybe this is the route)
5 - KUSHIDA - 5% (I guess there's a chance. I really think he's winning Super J, but winning ONE of the two tournaments would make sense to establish him as the junior ace)
6 - Ricochet - 3% (Both these next two are pushed fairly strong and would make a good)
7 - Matt Sydal - 2% (defense for KUSHIDA)

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Thu May 05, 2016 1:07 pm

Stoked for Sendai getting the BOSJ finals (although the venue they were using, Yoyogi I think, had been excellent for the last few finals). Sendai is always a really fun crowd and they've been treated to a whole bunch of different shows over the recent years - Tag League finals, a couple of G1 shows and a New Beginning (last year's famous Ishii/Honma match).

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Thu May 05, 2016 1:54 pm

They've been a really hot crowd as of late. Should be a great atmosphere for the BOSJ final.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Thu May 05, 2016 2:06 pm

Just watched Wrestling Dontaku & it was a great show. I know this has been said to death, but Ishii is a tremendous pro wrestler. For all the weaknesses that he has, he just gets how to be a pro wrestler. He is a phenomenal worker who knows how to play to his strengths, do the little but important things & win over a crowd. Not to mention he is also a tenacious beast who gives 100 percent.