NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
aivaz

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by aivaz » Tue May 03, 2016 5:59 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
aivaz wrote:Is Fale being loyal? NJPW is clearly the best option available to him...
He had a deal on the table from WWE in January.
Oooooh now I get it, fair play. I just didn't imagine that as a possibility.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Tue May 03, 2016 10:52 am

This Kushi-Liger match caught me off guard. Also,don't know how a ladder match will play out.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Tue May 03, 2016 12:55 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
ayaashm wrote:
Shining Wiz wrote:Well the finals and the title shot are separate. I was think O'Reilly can win the BOSJ, but lose the title shot to Kushida. That would establish him solidly as a single threat.

My bad. Wanted to say Ricochet wins BOSJ and then loses. I see your point as well, I think O'Reilly is amazing and should move out of that tagteam , despite how much I like ReDragon
This is going to sound craaazzzy, but he could do both. Wild idea, I know.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, I think Devitt was the last person to work as a legitimate pushed single while also being in a legitimate pushed tag team (Apollo 55).

Gedo seems to be very much against this over the last three or four years.

Thoughts on tonight's show, esp the main event?
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Tue May 03, 2016 5:24 pm

dancecab wrote:I found it very strange especially with the use of the Ladder. It would fit Omega's character to make him want to compete in an American concept like a ladder match but I don't think it's likely. It was the impression I had though for some reason, no matter how unrealistic that notion is.
Guess I was reading into it just right. :lol:

NakamuraBowlRock

Post by NakamuraBowlRock » Tue May 03, 2016 6:25 pm

Another great and enjoyable PPV. Looking forward to the Super Junior Tourny.

dj22319

Post by dj22319 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:03 pm

ayaashm wrote:This Kushi-Liger match caught me off guard. Also,don't know how a ladder match will play out.
Kushida/Liger was great. I have it at ****. The main event was motn for me though. Has NJPW ever had a ladder match in their history? I assume not.
The name's David Perez, but you can call me David Purorez (GET ITTTTT?)

wac

Post by wac » Tue May 03, 2016 8:03 pm

I'm hyped as hell for BOSJ, THAT B BLOCK

A BLOCK:
KUSHIDA
Ryusuke Taguchi
Kyle O'Reilly
Matt Sydal
Rocky Romero
Gedo
BUSHI
Matt Jackson

B BLOCK:
Jushin Thunder Liger
Tiger Mask IV
Bobby Fish
Barreta
Nick Jackson
Ricochet
Volador Jr.
Will Ospreay

pol

Post by pol » Tue May 03, 2016 8:16 pm

I skipped the first two matches, the trios title match and the heavyweight tag title match and this show still felt long. Every match underdelivered. I guess a lot of people loved it, but for me Naito taking 33 minutes to beat midcarder Ishii was not only terrible booking but made the match feel absolutely interminable. I was enjoying it at first and then it just kept going, and going, and going.

This might be the most masturbatory I've ever seen Okada get with his super-choreographed counter-counter-counter bullshit. I think SANADA could be really great when not working with that guy.

I guess your opinion on the BOSJ blocks will mostly be shaped by how much a fan you are of the NJPW regulars. For me that's a big ol' "whatever". Volador Jr. is just about the most boring possible pick for a CMLL representative. It doesn't help that I can't stand him as a singles worker—the dude just trades big spots back and forth without the escalation or transitions that make a match of that style work.

Pretty disappointing show after Invasion Attack being probably my SOTY at this point.
Last edited by pol on Tue May 03, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wac

Post by wac » Tue May 03, 2016 8:17 pm

We're gonna get Ricochet/Volador, Ospreay/Volador, Liger/Ospreay, O'Reilly/KUSHIDA, etc.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:17 pm

BOSJ looks great. There are few potential MOTY right there.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:19 pm

I'm going to try and get at least half of Dontaku done tonight. 4.5 hours is a long one during the week

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Tue May 03, 2016 10:42 pm

A very good show but not a great show and that was probably down to the crowded card (which was obviously no fault of New Japan's). A few too many of the undercard matches felt like they would have been better with a bit more room to breathe but that was always going to be the case.

I was just getting ready to love Nagata/ Shibata when they finished, same with Liger/ Kushida. Sanada/ Okada was thoroughly enjoyable, Sanada has looked like a star since coming in and this match continued that trend, Okada is always great to me, and I still love his counter for counter sequences, they're always so much fun! Ishii and Naito was great, that inverted (Reverse?) brainbuster spot looked deadly. I think Okada/ Naito next time out should top their IA match, easily!

While the Omega/ Tana ladder match will probably be very good I don't really want to see it in New Japan if I'm being perfectly honest, I like both guys but I'm currently sort of hoping the match stinks so they don't revisit it again (If it's a genuine one off, I'm fine with it btw), which is a strange feeling for a match I should really be looking forward to! I guess it's a way of getting the belt on Tana without pinning Omega?

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Tue May 03, 2016 11:19 pm

JB Gremlin wrote:A very good show but not a great show and that was probably down to the crowded card (which was obviously no fault of New Japan's). A few too many of the undercard matches felt like they would have been better with a bit more room to breathe but that was always going to be the case.

I was just getting ready to love Nagata/ Shibata when they finished, same with Liger/ Kushida. Sanada/ Okada was thoroughly enjoyable, Sanada has looked like a star since coming in and this match continued that trend, Okada is always great to me, and I still love his counter for counter sequences, they're always so much fun! Ishii and Naito was great, that inverted (Reverse?) brainbuster spot looked deadly. I think Okada/ Naito next time out should top their IA match, easily!

While the Omega/ Tana ladder match will probably be very good I don't really want to see it in New Japan if I'm being perfectly honest, I like both guys but I'm currently sort of hoping the match stinks so they don't revisit it again (If it's a genuine one off, I'm fine with it btw), which is a strange feeling for a match I should really be looking forward to! I guess it's a way of getting the belt on Tana without pinning Omega?
Pretty much in agreement there, about the show being enjoyable but not as great as it potentially could have been. It ended up being a prime example of how a 'stacked' card such as this one, usually ends up looking better on paper than it does in practice. Even at going over four hours long, a few of the matches such as the NEVER Openweight title match still felt short changed- though it's arguable they could have shaved a bit of time off the main event. Ishii vs Naito was great once they got past second gear, but the opening third of the match felt like they were going through the motions for the sake of having an epically long main event. That being said, Ishii did surprise me by bringing a rarely before seen submission/mat game to the table, which brought a fresh nuance to his latest encounter with Naito, that helped give the match a different feel to their battles over the NEVER Openweight title or even their New Japan Cup match from March of this year. I don't think that Naito and Ishii are capable of even having a medicore match against each other- they have excellent chemistry as opponents- getting up there with Okada/Tanahashi in terms of modern New Japan rivalries.

I'm intrigued and tentatively optimistic about the prospect of a Ladder match in New Japan. Whilst I understand concerns that is another step towards New Japan becoming 'westernized'- they haven't been the New Japan of old for a long time and besides the wrestling fanbase in Japan appears to have evolved to be more accepting of 'western style wrestling ideas'.

From my own personal taste, once in a while I do like a gimmick match (Ladder, Cage, Ultimate X before TNA did it to death) but the problem is that most wrestling promotions end up doing them to death, so they end up losing their unique appeal. As long as something like this up coming Ladder match is a once in a blue moon thing in New Japan, I don't have a problem with the idea.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Tue May 03, 2016 11:46 pm

thought the main event was one of the best matches I've ever seen and when I think the best single match performances of this decade I'll think of Ishii today. I adored how he started going after the legs in all kinds of tricky ways when his usual brute force,slug it out tactics weren't working. Then he got drawn back into that towards the end and the head-drops came thick and fast. Such a superb match. Five stars and at the level of the Dome main event.

wac

Post by wac » Tue May 03, 2016 11:56 pm

I'm excited for the ladder match. I think gimmick matches like that work best when they're done rarely and as a really special occasion, rather than devaluing them like WWE has with scheduled PPVs built around them. I've never been one to agree that New Japan should be above stuff like ladder matches or three ways, as long as they're used sparingly. People complained all through last year about stale booking and endless rematches, I'm glad they're trying something new.