NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:46 am

ayaashm wrote:
Shining Wiz wrote:Well the finals and the title shot are separate. I was think O'Reilly can win the BOSJ, but lose the title shot to Kushida. That would establish him solidly as a single threat.

My bad. Wanted to say Ricochet wins BOSJ and then loses. I see your point as well, I think O'Reilly is amazing and should move out of that tagteam , despite how much I like ReDragon
This is going to sound craaazzzy, but he could do both. Wild idea, I know.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, I think Devitt was the last person to work as a legitimate pushed single while also being in a legitimate pushed tag team (Apollo 55).

Gedo seems to be very much against this over the last three or four years.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:59 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
ayaashm wrote:
Shining Wiz wrote:Well the finals and the title shot are separate. I was think O'Reilly can win the BOSJ, but lose the title shot to Kushida. That would establish him solidly as a single threat.

My bad. Wanted to say Ricochet wins BOSJ and then loses. I see your point as well, I think O'Reilly is amazing and should move out of that tagteam , despite how much I like ReDragon
This is going to sound craaazzzy, but he could do both. Wild idea, I know.

Unless I'm forgetting someone, I think Devitt was the last person to work as a legitimate pushed single while also being in a legitimate pushed tag team (Apollo 55).

Gedo seems to be very much against this over the last three or four years.

I am tired of watching the same guys in the jr. Tag division. So, O'reilly moving away from the tag scene and get a major singles push is my hope. I don't think Gedo is against is as much as I think he doesn't devote proper time to booking the jr. Division. Now don't get me wrong, I love Gedo's big picture booking but I think he justs sees these talented as fuck teams and says,"you got 16 minutes. Young Bucks go over".
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:54 pm

What happened to Bad Luck Fale's push? He's a former IC champ and was being paired against Tanahashi and Nakamura and you would figure that he would get pushed to the moon after re-signing for 2 years after the mass exodus at the beginning of the year.
Who's Rob Viper ?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:04 pm

Buzz Sawyer wrote:What happened to Bad Luck Fale's push? He's a former IC champ and was being paired against Tanahashi and Nakamura and you would figure that he would get pushed to the moon after re-signing for 2 years after the mass exodus at the beginning of the year.
He just worked a program vs Tanahashi. His spot is the heel monster who is a credible threat to beat anyone on the roster. I think that's a good place for him.

Naito, Shibata, & Omega were elevated ahead of him and have gotten the big pushes. Do you disagree with those choices? I don't. Naito is a no brainer, and Shibata was getting pushed the second he signed a contract. I think Omega is more talented and possesses more upside as a major star than Fale.

Fale is a guy who will always be taken care of in the booking, and will get his one or two semi main or main event matches per year vs a top guy. He's done everything he's been asked to do in terms of gaining weight and projecting himself as a monster. I don't think he's being under or over utilized, his spot is perfect.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:32 pm

A pet peeve of mine among wrestling fans is questioning after a month or less 'what's happened to [insert wrestler here] push' or 'so and so is being wasted in a meaningless match' complaints, when it's often a case of that wrestler just being between storylines/feuds and creative simply having nothing for them in the short term. Not all wrestlers can have something meaningful going on every month- if they did we would end up with shows that would look 'stacked' on paper but would be stacked with a whole load of matches not being given enough time. Joe and Rich wisely brought up that concern with the up coming Dontaku card- which indeed does look fantastic on paper but we all know something is going to be short changed there.

Back to my point though- a prime example of this complaint is with Will Ospreay, where I'm already seeing comments like 'Ospreay's being wasted in a meaningless 8 man tag, hope he's not going to be the next Mascara Dorada'

If six months down the line, all Ospreay has been doing is meaningless multi man tags then those are legitimate complaints about his talent being wasted but just because he's not anything of consequence this month, doesn't mean that he will be slumming it in card filler tags for the rest of his New Japan run.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:57 pm

Tigerkinney wrote:A pet peeve of mine among wrestling fans is questioning after a month or less 'what's happened to [insert wrestler here] push' or 'so and so is being wasted in a meaningless match' complaints, when it's often a case of that wrestler just being between storylines/feuds and creative simply having nothing for them in the short term. Not all wrestlers can have something meaningful going on every month- if they did we would end up with shows that would look 'stacked' on paper but would be stacked with a whole load of matches not being given enough time. Joe and Rich wisely brought up that concern with the up coming Dontaku card- which indeed does look fantastic on paper but we all know something is going to be short changed there.

Back to my point though- a prime example of this complaint is with Will Ospreay, where I'm already seeing comments like 'Ospreay's being wasted in a meaningless 8 man tag, hope he's not going to be the next Mascara Dorada'

If six months down the line, all Ospreay has been doing is meaningless multi man tags then those are legitimate complaints about his talent being wasted but just because he's not anything of consequence this month, doesn't mean that he will be slumming it in card filler tags for the rest of his New Japan run.
I've seen some of that Ospreay stuff too, and while I understand the Dorada Fear, the dude's first NJPW match was a high profile title shot. There is also a clear difference in how the company views Ospreay as compared to Dorada. I mean, you have Tanahashi publicly calling him a future ace on his podcast. They saw Dorada as an undercard guy, and when BUSHI went down, he basically slotted right into the old babyface BUSHI treadmill role.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Sun May 01, 2016 1:46 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Buzz Sawyer wrote:What happened to Bad Luck Fale's push? He's a former IC champ and was being paired against Tanahashi and Nakamura and you would figure that he would get pushed to the moon after re-signing for 2 years after the mass exodus at the beginning of the year.
He just worked a program vs Tanahashi. His spot is the heel monster who is a credible threat to beat anyone on the roster. I think that's a good place for him.

Naito, Shibata, & Omega were elevated ahead of him and have gotten the big pushes. Do you disagree with those choices? I don't. Naito is a no brainer, and Shibata was getting pushed the second he signed a contract. I think Omega is more talented and possesses more upside as a major star than Fale.

Fale is a guy who will always be taken care of in the booking, and will get his one or two semi main or main event matches per year vs a top guy. He's done everything he's been asked to do in terms of gaining weight and projecting himself as a monster. I don't think he's being under or over utilized, his spot is perfect.
You would figure that due to his loyalty to the promotion, they would give him a title run as a thank you. Maybe be Shibata for the NEVER belt? His style fits the brawling type that seems to go well with previous title holders (Makabe , Ishii).
Who's Rob Viper ?

pol

Post by pol » Sun May 01, 2016 8:46 pm

I'm good not seeing any more Fale singles matches than we get already.

wac

Post by wac » Mon May 02, 2016 8:14 am

I don't see Fale being a good fit for the NEVER title at all.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Mon May 02, 2016 12:01 pm

Fale is the Bray Wyatt of New Japan.
Lanza is a geek.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Mon May 02, 2016 1:46 pm

Though I don't think they would have proverbially set the world on fire, I did think that the Fale/Tonga tag team had potential to develop into something half decent, would have been a whole sight better than Tama teaming up with his 'two star special' brother.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon May 02, 2016 4:51 pm

Buzz Sawyer wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:

You would figure that due to his loyalty to the promotion, they would give him a title run as a thank you. Maybe be Shibata for the NEVER belt? His style fits the brawling type that seems to go well with previous title holders (Makabe , Ishii).
I'm not sure they feel that highly of him. Sure, he's a great stop gap for the stars to play around with for a few months but that's about his peak level, right? Otherwise, he's probably in a good spot and there's not much else you can do with a guy like that. He certainly can't become someone you actually depend on to draw or help draw. He's in a good spot now, I like it.

aivaz

Post by aivaz » Mon May 02, 2016 9:05 pm

Is Fale being loyal? NJPW is clearly the best option available to him...

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue May 03, 2016 2:43 am

aivaz wrote:Is Fale being loyal? NJPW is clearly the best option available to him...
He had a deal on the table from WWE in January.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Tue May 03, 2016 3:35 am

I know it's too early but Tanga Loa had to make a splash as soon as he got there but he has really disappointed me.
Lanza is a geek.