NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
suplexberry

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by suplexberry » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:10 pm

NJPW World just posted a 18 minute Kenny Omega documentary where he talks about his start in Japan, Ibushi, learning Japanese from videogames and other topics while hyping the match against Elgin tomorrow. It's skirting the line between kayfabe and what he really thinks/feels pretty cleverly (much like Naito promos I'd assume) and it's in English with Japanese subtitles so if you have that NJPW World subscription, it's definitely worth checking out.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:32 pm

suplexberry wrote:NJPW World just posted a 18 minute Kenny Omega documentary where he talks about his start in Japan, Ibushi, learning Japanese from videogames and other topics while hyping the match against Elgin tomorrow. It's skirting the line between kayfabe and what he really thinks/feels pretty cleverly (much like Naito promos I'd assume) and it's in English with Japanese subtitles so if you have that NJPW World subscription, it's definitely worth checking out.
Great video. Great guy. Who deserves success more than Kenny Omega?

It's interesting that they did it non-kayfabe up until the final segment. But they're savvy enough to the modern viewer to know that the most important thing is for their audience to genuinely like the guy. Make that connection. He still kept it English, though.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:52 pm

Today's show didn't bring much new to the table other than the two singles matches, but still a damn good time overall. Liger/Nagata vs Shibata/KUSHIDA had another incredible tag match that was vicious and hard-hitting and energetic, about as far from a filler tag as you can get. All four worked incredibly hard. CHAOS vs LIJ continues to be fun, too.

Loved Omega vs Elgin, especially the closing stretch was incredible, but am a bit confused by the post-match challenge. Maybe it's an angle we'll see play out in the NEVER 6-man match next Tuesday.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:08 pm

suplexberry wrote: Loved Omega vs Elgin, especially the closing stretch was incredible, but am a bit confused by the post-match challenge. Maybe it's an angle we'll see play out in the NEVER 6-man match next Tuesday.
► Show Spoiler
Great match though. I loved the story that Omega was trying EVERY dirty underhanded tactic to beat the monster but Elgin would use it against him.

ssindelman

Post by ssindelman » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:42 pm

So when do we get to see the eventual Mask vs Hair match between Rocky Romero & Tiger Mask?

wac

Post by wac » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:09 pm

Omega/Elgin was a ton of fun.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:18 pm

Another really enjoyable show Omega/ Elgin, Kushida and Shibata/ Nagata and Liger and Chaos/ LIJ were all a lot of fun.

Wantanabe's bumping about for Goto on this tour has been fantastic, I'm sure he's going to be great in the G1 and should really help freshen the tournament up with a number of new and interesting match ups.

They have done such a good job hyping Dontaku with these shows and it's looking outrageously deep with any one of 6 matches having a genuine shot at best on the show, and on top of that you have the six man title match which has always been good so far and the HW Tag title match where SURELY The Tonga's are going to want to prove they belong (especially given they've already slipped so far down the card by the looks of it) AND you have a Will Ospreay match. Shame the show's on a random Tuesday and I'm at work so it will be a real struggle to stop myself having a nosey at some spoilers.

$hawn000

Post by $hawn000 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:41 pm

I have a quick noob question. Is there a schedule for all of New Japans shows somewhere? I haven't missed a show since WK, but I didn't even realize there was one earlier.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:05 pm

$hawn000 wrote:I have a quick noob question. Is there a schedule for all of New Japans shows somewhere? I haven't missed a show since WK, but I didn't even realize there was one earlier.
You probably missed it because it was added late after they rejigged the card because of the earthquake. The schedule on njpworld is normally updated well in advance, obviously it was just on this occasion due to cancellations and changes they couldn't announce until they knew what they were doing.

http://www.njpw.co.jp/english/match/index.php?ticket=1

That is the full show schedule, but it isn't made clear what is and isn't available on world.

$hawn000

Post by $hawn000 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:15 pm

JB Gremlin wrote:
You probably missed it because it was added late after they rejigged the card because of the earthquake. The schedule on njpworld is normally updated well in advance, obviously it was just on this occasion due to cancellations and changes they couldn't announce until they knew what they were doing.

That is the full show schedule, but it isn't made clear what is and isn't available on world.
Oh okay. Well thank you. Hopefully I'll get the time to catch up on this show. Omega vs Elgin looks great.

Edit: Can't believe I put Naito instead of Omega. Got Naito on the brain
Last edited by $hawn000 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Murrr

Post by Murrr » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:11 pm

Another fan show. Couldn't be more excited for Wrestling Dontaku at this point. The tag match and Elgin/Omega were both excellent.

wac

Post by wac » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:46 pm

Is there anyone else who could conceivably win BOSJ?

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:55 pm

$hawn000 wrote:
JB Gremlin wrote:

Oh okay. Well thank you. Hopefully I'll get the time to catch up on this show. Naito vs Elgin looks great.
Actually you should be able to look up the schedule on NJPW World as well as everything is accessible without a subscription it is just that the videos are not playing if you are not a subscriber. http://njpwworld.com/feature/schedule
It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:12 am

Ospreay has signed a contract.

$hawn000

Post by $hawn000 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:33 am

van Fair wrote:
$hawn000 wrote: Oh okay. Well thank you. Hopefully I'll get the time to catch up on this show. Naito vs Elgin looks great.
Actually you should be able to look up the schedule on NJPW World as well as everything is accessible without a subscription it is just that the videos are not playing if you are not a subscriber. http://njpwworld.com/feature/schedule
Oh okay thanks..I'll be sure to remember that. Also, I just realized I called Kenny, Naito. Oops. That's how hype I am for Naito v Ishii