NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
dancecab

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by dancecab » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:25 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:There is a European talent who is claiming to be booked for G1, but I am sworn to secrecy for now. Hint: It isn't someone who a lot of you might think.
Some reason first thing that came to mind is Tommy End.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:45 pm

Frank Olson wrote:Is Juice considered a heavyweight? I guess I hadn't considered him as a possibility to be in the G1, and to be honest I hope he's not because he's one of the few guys on the roster that I really don't like. Part of the reason I'm not into him is that his role is so nebulous - like I don't know if we're supposed to think he's a heavyweight or junior, or whether he's a young lion or regular roster member. He doesn't seem G1 worthy to me, and I think there's plenty of other people they could book to go mostly winless (Yoshi Hashi, Tonga Roa, Honma, Yujiro, etc.) so I suspect/hope that Juice will be relegated to the opening tag matches that everybody fast-forwards through on the G1 shows.

I would really enjoy Jay Lethal being involved in the tournament, and it does seem like NJPW are high on him, but I could imagine ROH not wanting their champion to get pinned as often as he would be likely to be if he is entered. But there's a lot of guys in NJPW who I'd love to see him face so I will be excited if he's announced. Moose seems like a strong possibility too. It would be great experience for him and I could see him getting over strong like Elgin did last year.
I really like the idea of Moose getting into the G1. He's a guy who can take losses but still grow and get better from those losses and that experience. A guy like Lethal going 50-50 is not ideal given his stature in ROH.

I'm with you on the Robinson thing too. THOUGH if we think about it, someone has to lose and someone has to lose a lot for the tournament to make sense. Would you rather have Juice Robinson losing or Yujiro? Honma is past that point now, he's not the 0 and guy anymore, he's beyond that, someone needs to take that mantle. You mentioned HASHI and he's a definite possibility though they've been doing a little bit more with him lately so who knows. I don't really like Robinson but at the very least I know I'll get some effort from him, I don't know that I get that from another Yujiro Takahashi G1 "run".

ssindelman

Post by ssindelman » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:09 pm

Just checked the NJPW World schedule and it looks like we WILL see the 4/27 show (with Omega/Elgin & Tanahashi/Fale) live.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Frank Olson wrote:
I'm with you on the Robinson thing too. THOUGH if we think about it, someone has to lose and someone has to lose a lot for the tournament to make sense. Would you rather have Juice Robinson losing or Yujiro? Honma is past that point now, he's not the 0 and guy anymore, he's beyond that, someone needs to take that mantle. You mentioned HASHI and he's a definite possibility though they've been doing a little bit more with him lately so who knows. I don't really like Robinson but at the very least I know I'll get some effort from him, I don't know that I get that from another Yujiro Takahashi G1 "run".
I don't actually mind Robinson these days, in the 'jobber' role. When he first came in, he did look completely out of place but he has gradually been improving and at least puts in some effort, he'd certainly be more energized and would be more interesting to watch in the G-1 than a de-motivated Yujiro that clearly Gedo no longer gives two shits about and has realised won't ever improve beyond his midcard ceiling.You only have to look at the fact that quite a few months have passed now, since Yujiro was accompanied by a lady friend .Whether you thought that gimmick was tacky or not, the bit of eye-candy attached to his arm was the only thing that made Yujiro remotely interesting to anyone.

pol

Post by pol » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:58 pm

Thy don't necessarily need guys to go 0 and 10. The year before last everyone got at least 3 wins. Even last year Honma was the only guy who didn't iirc.

maggot

Post by maggot » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:14 am

Why the fuck is commentating god, Yoshi Tatsu, doing a Triple H impersonator gimmick?

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:41 pm

Decent Road to show today. KUSHIDA/Shibata vs Nagata/Liger tag was a ton of fun and the main event elimination match was a fun time, too, with a fun sprint before the finish. Naito's overness is not precisely baffling, but I think the level to which he is over, remains pretty surprising. Aaand I friggin' love SANADA.

Tanga Loa, man, when it's a match where Captain New Japan is more impressive than you, either the man is a genius at getting other people over or he's just not good.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:32 pm

Jesus christ the opener on today's Road to Dontaku may be the G.O.A.T. Gedo-shouting-in-English match. I LITERALLY fell out of my chair laughing.

If only we could have Roppongi + Gedo as the trios champs. What an amazing two weeks it would be.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:00 pm

What a fun show today, exactly what NJPW RAW should be.

Guilherme Jaeger

Post by Guilherme Jaeger » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:47 am

Joe Lanza wrote:There is a European talent who is claiming to be booked for G1, but I am sworn to secrecy for now. Hint: It isn't someone who a lot of you might think.
I was thinking Mastiff. I would love Mastiff in NJPW

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:16 am

Damo?
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

gbogard

Post by gbogard » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:55 am

Yea Nagata/ Liger vs Kushida/Shibata was really could. Never title match looks to be pretty great.

Superkix

Post by Superkix » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:53 pm

Yeah, that tag match did a good job of getting me really excited for both title matches. Arm killer KUSHIDA is great.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:53 pm

maggot wrote:Why the fuck is commentating god, Yoshi Tatsu, doing a Triple H impersonator gimmick?
He is the Bullet Club hunter. Triple H, having signed four members, is also a Bullet Club Hunter. So Yoshitatsu is Triple H.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:32 pm

Both Road to shows this weekend were fun watches. CHAOS vs LIJ is building up some nice steam, and SANADA already looks like he belongs at the upper part of the card. The shows did a fantastic job building up the NEVER and Junior title matches, which is really smart given that the chances of their being a title change in the main event is somewhere between none and zero. Adds a nice bit of intrigue to the card.