NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
BackLash

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by BackLash » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:56 am

New Japan put up what a I can best describe as a shareholders meeting on New Japan World. There is some buisnessy stuff with Tanahashi making an apperance in the middle, but halfway through you get two matches:
  • Tag Team Match: Ryusuke Taguchi & David Finlay vs. KUSHIDA & Jay White
  • Eight Man Tag Team Match: Katsuyori Shibata, Jushin Thunder Liger & Great Bash Heel (Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma) vs. CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Hirooki Goto & Gedo)
Check them out if you're interested.

Superkix

Post by Superkix » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:13 pm

Finally got around to watching Invasion Attack. Pretty unspectacular. For a match I wasn't expected much out of, Shibata/Tenzan may have been the best of the night. I thought KUSHIDA had a strong performance and Ospreay showed signs of substance. The main event was a bumpy ride with some fun spots but man, there were crickets during the big Sanada reveal. Hopefully this Los Ingobernables run will inject some much needed personality into him because he's been largely vanilla.

Really looking forward to Shibata/Nagata and Ishii/Naito.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:54 am

Something that hasn't been brought up but surely didn't escape people's notice: Naito talked about trying to avoid the Rainmaker before the match, and during the match he got hit with just about everything but the Rainmaker. I bet that plays a big part in the story going forward.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:31 pm

The Road To cards next weekend both look like good fun. NJ seems to be really be upping the quality of the Korakuen cards, though they may be overdoing the elimination matches. That being said, the LIJ elimination tag looks like a ton of fun, and the feud with CHAOS is going to interesting to watch develop.

On that subject, I can't shake the feeling that Goto is going to do something unexpected at some point.....maybe not joining LIJ, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's not in CHAOS come WK time. That being said, he does seem to fit in really well, and a Goto/Ishii tag run would be great. Most interesting Goto has been in a long time.

Irving

Post by Irving » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:24 pm

The interesting thing about Seiya Sanada joining New Japan that everyone's missed is 10 years ago Tetsuya Naito and Sanada were at the same public tryout held by New Japan and even sparred against one another. Sanada did not get in but Naito did. Sanada ended up passing a tryout for All Japan the following year and joining there.

It's only a matter of time before Sanada revolts.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:37 pm

Irving wrote:The interesting thing about Seiya Sanada joining New Japan that everyone's missed is 10 years ago Tetsuya Naito and Sanada were at the same public tryout held by New Japan and even sparred against one another. Sanada did not get in but Naito did. Sanada ended up passing a tryout for All Japan the following year and joining there.

It's only a matter of time before Sanada revolts.
Didn't know this information but that leaves a very interesting future storyline. Hopefully we see it come to be unlike Ibushi/Omega.

dj22319

Post by dj22319 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:24 am

dancecab wrote: Didn't know this information but that leaves a very interesting future storyline. Hopefully we see it come to be unlike Ibushi/Omega.
I have a feeling we may see Ibushi/Omega sometime in 2017. If Ibushi signs with WWE, which all signals lead to, I have no doubt that Omega will feel even more compelled to go to NXT after a good run in New Japan. He has a bad history with WWE, but with Bill DeMott gone, maybe his feelings towards them will change.
The name's David Perez, but you can call me David Purorez (GET ITTTTT?)

aivaz

Post by aivaz » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:04 am

Okada/Sanada would probably kill Japanese wrestling if it went over 20 minutes, so there's a lot riding on the Dontaku show...

brianjackson

Post by brianjackson » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:58 am

So Hinokuni is cancelled due to the earthquake.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:50 pm

brianjackson wrote:So Hinokuni is cancelled due to the earthquake.
Best wishes, thoughts, & prayers to everyone who was affected.

I wonder what this means for that card, because they set up a number of those title matches at Invasion Attack (Omega/Elgin, Shibata/Nagata). Plus I really wanted to see that CHAOS/Los Ingobernables Eight-Man Tag. I'm kind of hoping that they maybe they put that card on one of the Korakuen Hall shows this weekend. They could throw some of those title matches on Dontaku, but would that be overloading the card?

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:25 pm

NEVER Openweight Title: Katsuyori Shibata vs Yuji Nagata
IWGP Jr Tag Titles: Roppongi Vice vs Matt Sydal & Ricochet

have been added to Wrestling Dontaku, I guess the Elite vs, Unbreakable Aces plus Tatsu is going to end up a title match.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:39 pm

dancecab wrote:NEVER Openweight Title: Katsuyori Shibata vs Yuji Nagata
IWGP Jr Tag Titles: Roppongi Vice vs Matt Sydal & Ricochet

have been added to Wrestling Dontaku, I guess the Elite vs, Unbreakable Aces plus Tatsu is going to end up a title match.
What about Omega/Elgin?

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:52 pm

UPDATE:

- Kenny Omega vs. Michael Elgin for the IWGP Intercontinental Title & Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Bad Luck Fale have both been moved to the Road To "Wrestling Dontaku" show on 4/27 in Fukuoka.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:17 am

Not to jump the gun on speculation/anticipation of the G1 but me and a friend did a mock G1 booking for kicks, with the catch that the pool and the outcome had to be realistic and also set up title matches for all three champions down the line. He booked B block, I booked A block. Some things I realized while doing this exercise:
  • We are getting a lot of first time match ups just because of the fresh faces on the scene, and that's super thrilling to me. Omega, SANADA, EVIL and even guys like Elgin who haven't had a dozen singles matches against everybody on the roster. Even without any ROH participants this is going to be a tournament filled with first time matches.
  • I really wonder how Naito reacts to matches against his team mates. We've seen intra-Bullet Club G1 matches and obviously matches within CHAOS but the LIJ dynamic is completely new as well.
  • If none of the third gen decide to skip G1, I don't think you even need ROH guys to fill out a group of 20, or require Suzuki-gun members to return.
Anyway, an utterly pointless but fun thing to waste a couple of hours on. Certainly made it clear to me how hard booking this type of thing is.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:39 am

Why is Suzuki-gun returning still a thing among internet fans? Isn't it pretty obvious that NOAH is their home now?