NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
wac

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by wac » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:55 pm

They just brought in his no-name in Japan brother for a tag team title shot, not really the most ideal time for a singles push.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:54 pm

Buzz Sawyer wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:Kenny Omega vs Jay White is why I have debated dumping star ratings in my reviews. That was great, great pro wrestling, with top notch storytelling and clean work, and genuinely had no flaws. It didn't "feel" like a 4+ star match or whatever, but fuck it really was great.

I will believe Camacho can deliver at this level of pro wrestling when I see it.

I was a huge proponent of PUSH TAMA TONGA, but he has yet to impress me. Way too early to throw the towel, but I have concerns. Invasion Attack is a big show for him, and the biggest match of his life. He needs to deliver.
I think Tonga is very talented, but he's been stuck as a fall guy or teaming with Fale. He hasn't really been able to show anything other then that. He should get a singles push, maybe a shot at Shibata or something to make him look better in the eyes of the everyday fan.
I think what Joe was alluding to in terms of Tonga, is that he's someone that impresses bumping and selling for others but now he's been given a push and a chance to show off more offence, he hasn't really delivered and isn't really grasping the opportunity he is being given to step up from his 'fall guy' role. Perhaps being a effective fall guy/bump machine is what Tonga excels at and not much else? It is of course too early to come to conclusions, but I'm with Joe in that thus far Tonga has been firing blanks now that he's been given a stronger push.

ssindelman

Post by ssindelman » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:00 pm

If you don't like to do DailyMotion or RuTube, the 3/19 Road to... show is now available on NJPW World.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:05 pm

That title match on 3/19 was good stuff. The challenger stepped up his game, the champ's stiff kicks made me wince with joy and the right guy won. I thought that would pretty much be the end of it, but after seeing the post-match interviews, I now know that this situation is far from over, and I could not be more excited.

But enough about Tiger Mask vs. Steve Anthony.

Shibata vs. Kojima....okay look, I understand why Tenzan is Shibata's Invasion Attack opponent I get it. The fans love him for his loyalty and service with the company. Dude's a former NWA HW champ and a former member of the nWo so I love the lug too. Still I'd rather have had Kojima face Shibata then, but whatever. But did New Japan wait for so long to release Cozy/Shibata, it was fantastic.

Once that match got going it really was fantastic and honestly from a kayfabe standpoint, either guy chould have won. That match put me on the edge of my seat and I can only hope Tenzan brings his A game come IA.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:47 pm

Shibata/Kojima all but guaranteed we'll be super disappointed by Shibata/Tenzan. It won't be either man's fault, I just cant fathom them topping it.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:13 pm

I haven't watched New Japan since the Finals of the Cup. About to make my way through these "Road To.." shows but don't have time to watch all them.

Matches I am planning on watching are Bucks vs Elgin & Tana, Shibata vs Kojima, Elite vs Elgin, Tana & Juice, Ishii vs Evil, Okada & Goto vs Naito & Bushi and Omega vs Jay White.

Anything I am missing? The Tiger Mask NWA match worth a shot?

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:35 pm

Empiresk wrote:I haven't watched New Japan since the Finals of the Cup. About to make my way through these "Road To.." shows but don't have time to watch all them.

Matches I am planning on watching are Bucks vs Elgin & Tana, Shibata vs Kojima, Elite vs Elgin, Tana & Juice, Ishii vs Evil, Okada & Goto vs Naito & Bushi and Omega vs Jay White.

Anything I am missing? The Tiger Mask NWA match worth a shot?
From wresting standpoint, other than a couple great high spots, it's a decent 2-2-1/2 star range match, also Tharpe isn't there to muck things up. I liked Anthony's heel work in the match though and both guys put up a good fight. So if you in it for the 3-5 star matches on the card or you don't have to time, it's a skip IMO.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:58 am

He's right but the teams probably don't have much say over their matches in the big picture.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:13 pm

Today's R2IA show was great:

Kanemitsu vs. Kawato: Good for what it was (two young cubs learning the game), but Tanaka and Komatsu and later Jay and Fit Jr. spoiled me and my expectations are so high. Lots of grappling and lots of slapping, but a great end.
White vs. Finlay: Obviously great, but I really wish Finlay would win once in a while.
KUSHIDA, Liger & Tiger vs. Roppongi Vice & Gedo: Entertaining contest, awesome spots and dancing Liger.
Nagata & Nakanishi vs. Yano & YOSHI-HASHI: Good little filler match, Yano's antics never fail to make me smile.
Shibata & Taguchi vs. TenCozy: Everyone was spot on in this match, I'm started to get excited for Shibata Tenzan on the 10th.
Team Ace & G.B.H. vs. Bullet Club: Match of the night for me, kept the action going for some time before the first elimination. Roa looked lost in a couple places, but I'll chock that up to nerves.
Okada, Ishii & Goto vs. LIdJ: Good closer, not much else to say about it.

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:17 am

New Japan absolutely hit it out of the park with today's show. You can't complain about New Japan being stale now.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:34 am

This show was a fucking home run. The show flew by with the only hold up being the heavyweight tag title match. Ishii/Goto vs BUSHI/EVIL was good stuff with Goto vs EVIL seemingly being a feud going forward. Short, but effective undercard matches. Both the Jr. title matches killed it especially KUSHIDA and Ospreay. NEVER Trios match was fun and we got and Omega/Elgin teaser as well as Fale/Tanahashi. Shibata and Tenzan had a good match with a great post match angle with Shibata and Nagata. The main and everything involved in it was insanity. The crowd being like 80/20 pro Naito, the action in the ring, Naito wins the belt, and the debut of Seiya fucking Sanada in an NJPW ring. On top of that Ishii and Naito had a staredown after so that may be a title program. So many possible directions coming out of this show.

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:39 am

Moving forward, so much to be excited about in New Japan after that show.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:55 am

Weather was super nice in my corner of the world, debated heading out instead of watching Invasion Attack live. Glad I didn't, the sun can wait as Naito shines brighter.

Ospreay debut was fantastic, but KUSHIDA showed himself as the veteran. The Liger match is something to be excited about. Also liked the 6-man NEVER match and the Shibata-Tenzan encounter. Shibata is bringing new fire out of these older generation guys and it's an unexpectedly fun storyline. Throw in Sanada's surprise appearance (and awesome new look) and it was a great time.

I legitimately doubt that NJ powers that be knew the crowd would be so heavily pro-Naito and it was rather weird to see them cheer every bit of interference and bs that the main event had thrown in there. Still, it didn't take anything away, and rather added to the story of Naito being this no fucks given type of heel who says what he feels and often is quite right in his honesty. Kidani is not a heel, just a businessman trying to make the best deal for the company going forward, but Naito dragging him into his promos regarding the Okada deal kind of raises an interesting, though worked conundrum - is Okada really worth it? Maybe lob off a piece of that pie for Naito, turning crowds in favor of him despite doing everything a heel is supposed to do.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:26 pm

Invasion Attack was fantastic and I can't fault any of it. One of the best shows of the year so far.

First time I have given the English commentary a try since WK9. I was very impressed although they missed a few spots in the main event that the crowed picked up and reacted to. Will definitely give it a go if it is an option for Dontaku.

Undercard was fine with Goto & Ishii vs BUSHI & EVIL promises that Chaos vs LOS should be a great feud through the summer.

Ospreay vs KUSHIDA delivered in a very ambitious match and I think they can top it judging by the talent of both guys. Great debut for Osprey who has had three months straight of world class performances all over the world.

Jr Tag, NEVER Trios and NEVER singles title matches were great for what they were. Tag Titles over delivered on my expectations.

The main event was great but the atmosphere will be remembered much longer than the actual match. It sounded red hot for Naito.

With the G1 hotting up for the summer and seemingly everyone now has a direction with so many feuds set up. Fale/Tana always delivers and how could you not be pumped with Shibata/Nagata and KUSHIDA/Liger. Chaos vs LOS is hot as fuck.

Went out last night and got pissed and overslept. Had tickets to Progress 28 in Manchester but with the combination of my hangover and cancelled trains I am glad I stayed in bed and watched this. Top show.

JB Gremlin

Post by JB Gremlin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Great show! I thought the Jr Tag match was excellent, I'm hopeful it leads to a few more straight tag matches on the big shows as while the 3 or 4 ways are always good this was a cut above in my opinion. If Ricochet is moving on and they are looking for another partner for Sydal I'd love to see ACH over there, since they are partners in ROH.

Ospreay and Kushida was good as expected, hopefully we'll be seeing another one as it felt like Will was saving a few things. This year's BOSJ could be fantastic with all the great Junior's they've currently got.

I understand why they changed the Never 3 man tag belts but I'd have kept them on The Elite for the time being, Young bucks are perfect for establishing those belts as crazy, fun 10 minute sprints I don't get that vibe so much from Tana, Tatsu and Elgin. I suppose they can always win them back in no time and it doesn't matter.