NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Tigerkinney

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Tigerkinney » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:30 am

BackLash wrote: This picture is also floating around regarding BotSJ:

Not that this confirms anything, but if I had to guess, Taguchi, Fit Finlay Jr., KUSHIDA, Dorada (had to check his Twitter to make sure that's him) and Tiger Mask are in. So is the guy in the center, I think I know who that is, but he's too far so I don't want to guess and be wrong.
The guy in the centre looks like Yohei Komatsu to me. I wouldn't put too much stock into that picture being a representation of who will be definitely in the tournament. It just looks like a random pic of some babyface Juniors celebrating together.

Of those in the picture I expect that Taguchi, KUSHIDA and Tiger Mask will definitely be in the tournament. Finlay is a possibility, as is Dorada if CMLL decide to let him make a 'special guest' return to New Japan to work the BOSJ for a month. Komatsu was in last years BOSJ, but I highly doubt he will be in this one, as he started his excursion with CMLL this year.

Speaking of Juniors, does anyone know what Alex Shelley's status is with New Japan right now. He's not been in an NJPW ring since the Junior Tag Tournament in November and has reformed The Machine Guns with Sabin in ROH- Does anyone think he is now done with New Japan or possibly the other way round-considering his poor injury record ?

ssindelman

Post by ssindelman » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:00 pm

For those interested in catching the first night of Road to Invasion Attack (featuring Shibata vs Kojima), it will be available for live streaming at http://taima.tv/r/puroresuondemand Sat 3/26 @ 9am ET thanks to MortenVH.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:41 pm

ssindelman wrote:For those interested in catching the first night of Road to Invasion Attack (featuring Shibata vs Kojima), it will be available for live streaming at http://taima.tv/r/puroresuondemand Sat 3/26 @ 9am ET thanks to MortenVH.

Excellent!

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:03 pm

Tigerkinney wrote:
BackLash wrote:Speaking of Juniors, does anyone know what Alex Shelley's status is with New Japan right now. He's not been in an NJPW ring since the Junior Tag Tournament in November and has reformed The Machine Guns with Sabin in ROH- Does anyone think he is now done with New Japan or possibly the other way round-considering his poor injury record ?
Can't say for sure but I don't think we'll see him in New Japan proper anytime soon. Will he do stuff with ROH/NJPW when they do joint shows? Perhaps but his days as a NJPW regular are over, for now.

wac

Post by wac » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:12 am

cherrylimeaid wrote:Sometimes or most times a banner is just a banner.

I just noticed on the Invasion attack banner Okada, Omega, and Shibata are all alone on the right hand side and Tanahashi is with other stars on the left hand side. In the spirit of making too much of a simple darn banner, thoughts if new Japan is moving towards (not there yet) making those three the next Big 3. I personally find it great, and as many were arguing before in terms of Shibata or AJ or Naito there is room for a Big 4 or 5 to include (insert your favorite NJ wrestler here).
I think it's just that those 3 are the heavyweight division singles champions right now.

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:38 am

Gushing Jay White vs Kenny Omega post.

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:55 am

Adam D wrote:Gushing Jay White vs Kenny Omega post.
Seriously.

Is it expected that Jay White would go on excursion?

If not, they should just move him up already. The guy is incredible and a natural.

BIGMOUTHLOUD123

Post by BIGMOUTHLOUD123 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:23 pm

Yeah, Omega vs White easily the best match on the card. Loved how they let White do more than he usually does. Good nearfalls too

ShittyLittleBoots

Post by ShittyLittleBoots » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:11 pm

Really need to see that Shibata/Kojima match. Hopefully it gets around.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:56 pm

Great show overall, I love how the bitter old vets ganged up on Shibata, hilarious. All the Bullet Club matches entertained me and I'm glad to say that in his first singles match, Cody hall didn't do too bad. Jay is a fantastic talent, he's got a bright future ahead of him. Tanga Roa's debut was a bit of a surprise, but his face paint looked cool. He made a decent impression, I just hope he can keep it up.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:21 pm

Kenny Omega vs Jay White is why I have debated dumping star ratings in my reviews. That was great, great pro wrestling, with top notch storytelling and clean work, and genuinely had no flaws. It didn't "feel" like a 4+ star match or whatever, but fuck it really was great.

I will believe Camacho can deliver at this level of pro wrestling when I see it.

I was a huge proponent of PUSH TAMA TONGA, but he has yet to impress me. Way too early to throw the towel, but I have concerns. Invasion Attack is a big show for him, and the biggest match of his life. He needs to deliver.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:58 pm

Shibata/Kojima was absolutely incredible and i'll have to consider if it's the 2nd best match of the year outside Tana/Okada. This was absolutely incredible.

ssindelman

Post by ssindelman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:46 pm

ShittyLittleBoots wrote:Really need to see that Shibata/Kojima match. Hopefully it gets around.
Check the New Links Sticky thread...I know there's something there of that match in particular. And also RealHero has posted links from rutube with all of the 3/19 show matches -- follow him on Twitter at RealHero12089

Superkix

Post by Superkix » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:36 pm

Shibata/Kojima is definitely Match of the Month and top 5 of the year.

Buzz Sawyer

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:24 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:Kenny Omega vs Jay White is why I have debated dumping star ratings in my reviews. That was great, great pro wrestling, with top notch storytelling and clean work, and genuinely had no flaws. It didn't "feel" like a 4+ star match or whatever, but fuck it really was great.

I will believe Camacho can deliver at this level of pro wrestling when I see it.

I was a huge proponent of PUSH TAMA TONGA, but he has yet to impress me. Way too early to throw the towel, but I have concerns. Invasion Attack is a big show for him, and the biggest match of his life. He needs to deliver.
I think Tonga is very talented, but he's been stuck as a fall guy or teaming with Fale. He hasn't really been able to show anything other then that. He should get a singles push, maybe a shot at Shibata or something to make him look better in the eyes of the everyday fan.
Who's Rob Viper ?