NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
ssindelman

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by ssindelman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:13 pm

ssindelman wrote:Just saw on Twitter that NJPW World WILL be showing the 3/20 Road to Invasion Attack event on delay. Still no word on tomorrow (3/19).
3/19 will be airing on MortenVH's Purouseu on Demand channel via https://t.co/laPzVOpanD. If you can't make the live airing, I'm sure our good friend RealHero will be doing a Puro drop after that.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:14 pm

Very odd timing on all of this but good to know there's some way (albeit a little annoying!) to watch both of these shows. We'll make sure to review/cover them as well.

ssindelman

Post by ssindelman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:06 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:Very odd timing on all of this but good to know there's some way (albeit a little annoying!) to watch both of these shows. We'll make sure to review/cover them as well.
I side with Naito in thinking this is a poor decision by Kidani. :D

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:46 pm

So do we think it's Shibata vs Tenzan at Sumo Hall? And if so does Tenzan have one more big Ryogoku performance in him??

brianjackson

Post by brianjackson » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:23 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Shibata-Tenzan headlines the Wrestling Hinokuni show on 4/29 rather than being another undercard title match on an already packed Sumo Hall show.

I think the Invasion Attack lineup is strong enough with Okada/Naito and Tanahashi/Fale as the main matches.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:06 am

brianjackson wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Shibata-Tenzan headlines the Wrestling Hinokuni show on 4/29 rather than being another undercard title match on an already packed Sumo Hall show.

I think the Invasion Attack lineup is strong enough with Okada/Naito and Tanahashi/Fale as the main matches.
I agree with all of this, especially since the word a few weeks ago was that Sumo Hall tickets were moving well.

They could do Shibata/Tenzan on another one of the bigger house shows or one of the two Korakuens on the Hinokuni tour as well.

timmah

Post by timmah » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:14 pm

ssindelman wrote:
ssindelman wrote:Just saw on Twitter that NJPW World WILL be showing the 3/20 Road to Invasion Attack event on delay. Still no word on tomorrow (3/19).
3/19 will be airing on MortenVH's Purouseu on Demand channel via https://t.co/laPzVOpanD. If you can't make the live airing, I'm sure our good friend RealHero will be doing a Puro drop after that.
Ah dammit, wish I'd seen this post earlier.

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:13 am

Seems the show from the 20th is now up on NJPW World. I haven't checked it out yet. Has the 19th surfaced anywhere?

Takachulo

Post by Takachulo » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:23 pm

With NJPW supposedly searching around the world for new talent, anybody else find it a little odd there doesn't seem to have been any attempt to sign Matt Riddle? He seems like he would be a perfect fit.

cherrylimeaid

Post by cherrylimeaid » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:18 am

To speak Omega for a second, please hear me out...

I'm of the opinion that he has slid into the Styles slot almost perfectly and is there now. But if that is the aim isn't it a little too low?

The more I see the more I think that he could actually be the answer to losing Nakamura. I say this vaguely going through his turn into Swagske. He did come in as a heel heading up a heel faction. I suppose that Omega isn't introducing a new finisher. But after seeing Nakamura turn to Swagske I feel it is safe to compare how over they are as of each of their somewhat transformations? I'm not saying it's sure fire by any means, it just seems to me with as quirky as the Japanese can be, as random as Omega can be, him Mega Manning up beaten opponents finishers, the ceiling (if he signs a longer contract) is the Nakamura slot.

Thoughts? Is it only possible that spot get filled by a native?

abrasiveobelisksa

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:27 am

Takachulo wrote:With NJPW supposedly searching around the world for new talent, anybody else find it a little odd there doesn't seem to have been any attempt to sign Matt Riddle? He seems like he would be a perfect fit.
Riddle has everything but his pinky finger into WWE, plus NJPW doesn't need more gaijins.

brianjackson

Post by brianjackson » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:04 am

Haven't seen anyone post this, so here is the full Invasion Attack card:

1) Ryusuke Taguchi & Juice Robinson vs Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi
2) Satoshi Kojima, Yuji Nagata & Jushin Thunder Liger vs Toru Yano, Kazushi Sakuraba & YOSHI-HASHI
3) Tomohiro Ishii & Hirooki Goto vs EVIL & BUSHI
4) IWGP Jr. Tag Team Championship: Matt Sydal & Ricochet (c) vs Rocky Romero & Beretta
5) IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship: KUSHIDA (c) vs Will Ospreay
6) NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship: Kenny Omega, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin & YOSHITATSU
7) NEVER Openweight Championship: Katsuyori Shibata (c) vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan
8) IWGP Tag Team Championship: Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma (c) vs Tama Tonga & Tanga Roa
9) IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Tetsuya Naito

So, in case you missed it, YOSHITATSU is back. This was revealed in a 23-second Youtube video in which YOSHITATSU declared he will hunt every member of the Bullet Club.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:20 am

How would Riddle be a "perfect fit" in New Japan? I don't see it at all

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:27 am

Tenzan/Shibata will be MOTN. Can't wait to see 7,000 Sumo Hall fans rooting hard for THE MAN.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:20 am

Over/Under odds on Shibata cracking Tenzan's big skull open?