NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Goat

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Goat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:42 am

Last year they only did a Heavyweight Title and IC TItle match on the same show at the Dome and Osaka Jo Hall. The year before that only at the Dome and Yokohama Arena. So it is very unlikely that happens. Probably a 6 man tag title match instead.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:03 am

yeah, seems obvious that it will be a 6-man match to build an IC title match. that's what they always do

pol

Post by pol » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:48 pm

Dave also thought the most likely picks for the New Japan Cup winner were Naito and... Ishii. For how big a fan he's been he really has no clue how they book.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:56 pm

Goat wrote:Last year they only did a Heavyweight Title and IC TItle match on the same show at the Dome and Osaka Jo Hall. The year before that only at the Dome and Yokohama Arena. So it is very unlikely that happens. Probably a 6 man tag title match instead.
Yeah, putting the 1a & 1b titles on the same shows (except in the case fo the biggest buildings obviously) defeats the purpose of why they elevated the IC belt to begin with.

With that said, they are playing under new rules this year. So who knows? I'm curious to see if they beef up every rank & file tour they way that they have the Invasion Attack tour. Last year they ran a handful of shows in mid sized buildings and propped them up with stuff like Makabe NEVER matches and Kojima vs Tenzan, but they haven't done a tour like this with two "major" house shows, two Korakuens both with significant cards (shit, last year they booked multiple Korakuens with nothing but six man filler throughout), plus the New Japan Road show (which oddly, looks like a common house show lineup, when THAT is usually a show that gets mid level show treatment) in recent memory.

JML

Post by JML » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Does this mean that they want New Japan to be a publicly traded company?

Kidani is more of a WWE mark than I thought.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:45 pm

An IPO was reported by the Wrestling Observer about 2 years ago. Along with fanciful ideas of running Dome shows multiple times a year.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:13 pm

Enuhito has been talking about it since 2011/12.

JML

Post by JML » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:01 pm

Chismo wrote:Enuhito has been talking about it since 2011/12.
Gotcha. I stopped following wrestling around that time so that's why this is news to me.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:37 pm

Yeah, ever since Bushiroad purchased NJPW, going public was kind of their endgame.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:39 am

K. Hare wrote:yeah, seems obvious that it will be a 6-man match to build an IC title match. that's what they always do
I had a thought that maybe they could wind up doing a Never 6-man title match with the Elite vs. Michael Elgin/reDRagon at Invasion Attack since none of those guys have anything scheduled yet for that show. Would probably be an awesome match and they could use it as a vehicle to build to Omega/Elgin at Dontaku.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:25 am

Frank Olson wrote:
K. Hare wrote:yeah, seems obvious that it will be a 6-man match to build an IC title match. that's what they always do
I had a thought that maybe they could wind up doing a Never 6-man title match with the Elite vs. Michael Elgin/reDRagon at Invasion Attack since none of those guys have anything scheduled yet for that show. Would probably be an awesome match and they could use it as a vehicle to build to Omega/Elgin at Dontaku.
I would LOVE this. Not sure what'd happen with Tanahashi but I'm sure we could figure out something for him.

brianjackson

Post by brianjackson » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:35 am

Alan4L wrote:
Frank Olson wrote:
I would LOVE this. Not sure what'd happen with Tanahashi but I'm sure we could figure out something for him.
A singles match with Fale?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:42 am

Chismo wrote:Yeah, ever since Bushiroad purchased NJPW, going public was kind of their endgame.
Which is why I personally believe Kidani has constantly tried to push some level of legitimate attendance, which started as actual attendance and then morphed into actual paid. I think he wants all of his ducks in a row for when he takes it public, as far as full disclosure.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:54 pm

brianjackson wrote:
Alan4L wrote:
Frank Olson wrote:
A singles match with Fale?
now that's a good shout

ssindelman

Post by ssindelman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Just saw on Twitter that NJPW World WILL be showing the 3/20 Road to Invasion Attack event on delay. Still no word on tomorrow (3/19).