NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:51 pm

Especially considering his last singles win was all the way back in March 2014 against Sho Tanaka lol.

ssindelman

Post by ssindelman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:02 pm

I want CNJ to win a match over Goto. :D

ssindelman

Post by ssindelman » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:46 pm

I'm gonna say Tiger Mask retains and then gives Liger another shot at the gold.

Ishii retains as well and stays champ until the RoH/NJPW Global Wars shows.

Okada retains and we get a rematch at Dominion in Osaka where Naito WILL become champ.

New tag champs will be crowned.

Shibata retains

Ospreay beats KUSHIDA

abrasiveobelisksa

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:27 pm

I don't see both newcomers (Tonga & Camacho + Ospreay) win the titles their nights in. Personally I think KUSHIDA will retain but GBH will fall. Shibata retains of course. Ishii retains as well, 50/50 on Tiger Mask though.

Of course the big ticket is Okada/Naito. I agree with the sentiment that Okada/Naito will headline both Invasion Attack and Dominion, with Naito winning the first time due to someone (I think either Goto or Ishii) turning on Okada, and retaining the second time due to reasons. Okada can get his win back in the G1 with no problems.

Thoughts?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:10 am

I doubt they bring Steve Anthony in for a one off only to lose. This reeks of sending the belt back to the U.S., but who knows. Maybe he's working whole or part of the tour. I thought they were setting up a Liger challenge, but I guess not.

I love what's happening in this company right now. For the first time in a long time, it feels like the entire roster has something meaningful going on. Every match on the NJC show had a purpose or advanced a story, right down to the prelims. And Omega, KUSHIDA, Bucks, etc didn't even work the show. Everything was so fun that I didn't even realize they weren't around until I was writing the review.

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:19 am

ssindelman wrote:Okada retains and we get a rematch at Dominion in Osaka where Naito WILL become champ.
I can't remember the last time a title challenger lost and then immediately got a rematch at the next show, if that's happened it was at least five+ years ago.

Could very well be a rematch at Dominion if Naito wins but I think we all need to let the idea of Naito's crowning moment in Osaka go. Main eventing vs. Okada as champion is a fine moment in itself.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:16 pm

Kinda disappointed Naito is going to challenge at Invasion Attack.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:27 pm

From Conway to Tanahashi, every singles match for gold I've seen Kojima in, I loved. Now he's facing Shibata for the NEVER title in what is sure to be an instant classic. It will probably be wince inducing and stiff, but I will love every minute of it. Can't wait.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:07 am

So apparently the Shibata/Kojima NEVER Openweight Title Match is taking place at the 3/19 show in Aichi (the same show as the Tiger Mask/Steve Anthony NWA World Jr. Title Match), and not at Invasion Attack. The show in Hyougo on 3/20 is being headlined by Ishii/EVIL for the ROH World TV Title, and also has a NEVER Openweight Six-Man Tag Team Title defense with Omega & The Young Bucks vs. Tanahashi, Elgin, & Juice Robinson (I'm sure Joe will love this news).

Also of note:

- 3/19 features a Kenny Omega vs. Juice Robinson singles match.

- The 3/27 Korakuen Hall show has a very interesting theme to it, as they're doing a series of five New Japan vs. Bullet Club singles matches, including Cody Hall's first ever singles match in New Japan, against Michael Elgin. The others are Kenny Omega vs. Jay White, Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Yujiro Takahashi, Bad Luck Fale vs. Honma, and Makabe vs. Tama Tonga in a rematch from the New Japan Cup (will be interested to hear what Rich & Joe say about this, since it seems like they're giving a show in Korakuen some substance).

- The 3/28 Korakuen Hall show features (I believe) a Five-on-Five Elimination Match, with Tanahashi, Elgin, Honma, Makabe, & Juice Robinson vs. Kenny Omega, Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga, Yujiro, & Cody Hall.

- The first four matches for Invasion Attack have been announced. The first three, Okada/Naito, KUSHIDA/Ospreay, Honma & Makabe vs. Tama Tonga & Camacho (who are being called Guerrillas of Destiny) were all pretty much a given, and just added, Ricochet & Sydal defending the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Titles against Roppongi Vice.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:25 am

That's disappointing, New Japan World's first listed match for RtIA is the 27th Korakuen Hall show.

pol

Post by pol » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:44 am

I guess the recent tours haven't been doing so well. Which of those will air on TV?

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:45 am

Hm, can't believe we aren't getting Shibata vs Kojima at Invasion Attack.
Maybe Nagata comes out and challenges if Shibata defeats Kojima at 3/19?

NJPW World currently only lists the 3/27 show :(

aivaz

Post by aivaz » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:31 pm

pol wrote:I guess the recent tours haven't been doing so well. Which of those will air on TV?
Those shows with title matches are in bigger venues than usual touring shows, which suggests it's not a matter of them bumping attendances in the venues they usually run for tours.

ssindelman

Post by ssindelman » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:15 pm

All in all, those non NJPW World shows will likely end up on Samurai TV (whether it shows live or on delay) so we will have to rely on RealHero and MortenVH to get them available for public viewing.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:18 pm

Dave seems to think they'll have Nagata/Shibata and an Omega IC defence at Invasion Attack. I'd be shocked that they'd give away that much with Dontaku cards less than a month later.