NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:46 pm

It's a little out of the box, but I think you could still have Tanahashi main event those secondary shows with Omega defending the title in the 2nd match until they fully trust him. Or maybe they bite the bullet, take the dive, etc. and try out Omega in that spot. We know they didn't feel confident enough to have Goto do it, do they have enough confidence in Omega? Don't have any answers or guesses now so I can't say for sure.

My direction would be try it out and have Omega main event a show. He's been a draw in DDT in the past and it adds instant credibility. Plus, you won't know how good or bad of a draw he is until you try it. Then again, it's not my money!

brianjackson

Post by brianjackson » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:06 pm

I think you have Tanahashi semi-main against Naito and his crew with Okada/Omega on top. Putting Tanahashi on top again defeats the purpose of passing the torch, and right now New Japan needs to build their new main eventers, starting with Omega. I don't see the problem being Omega's drawing potential, but rather the lack of opponents for him. If he beats Tanahashi, there aren't any real credible challengers after that (Having Omega's first title defence be a main event with Elgin would not be a success).

I think we're going to see a lot of rematches and A LOT of multi-man tags on the PPV shows. I wouldn't expect to see Okada have a run like he did in 2013 where he defeats a new challenger pretty much every month. By having only 4 guys in IWGP title matches last year, they've kind of made it so guys like Makabe and Kojima feel a level below it.

Whatever the case, I am fascinated to see the direction they go in this year.

GOTNW

Post by GOTNW » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:23 pm

pol wrote:To me the question isn't if Omega will win but if they will put any faith in him to main event the secondary shows that Nakamura was main eventing before. We've seen how reluctant they were to ever have an IC title match that didn't involve Nakamura regardless of whether he was actually champion or not. In his absence, it's easy to imagine Tanahashi sliding into the same position.

I would guess one of the following scenarios happens:

1. Tanahashi wins.
2. Omega wins, does whatever at Invasion Attack (doesn't matter since it won't be the main event), then drops it to Tanahashi at Wrestling Dontaku. That hedging, parity approach seems like a very Gedo thing to do.

The least likely scenario to me is Omega winning and main eventing any shows against non-Tanahashi challengers, unless something freakish happens like Okada losing the HW belt and challenging for the IC. At the same time though I can't write off the possibility completely. Averse circumstances produce different responses in different bookers; will Gedo become more conservative or more ballsy?
The most Gedo thing Gedo could do is have the IC title change hands before G1 and then go back to the previous champion afterwards but I doubt they're willing to flip-flop the belt that much (Tanahashi-Omega-Tanahashi). I don't think we're getting a 10 month reign and I don't think they trust Omega enough to put him in a semi-main spot at the Dome. I could see Omega winning, getting one or two defences before the G1 against proven draws like Makabe and then dropping it to Tanahashi after the G1.

pol

Post by pol » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:35 pm

What is the evidence for Omega being a draw in DDT btw? As far as I can tell in most of his main events there he was at best the #2 guy in the match and often less than that.

JoJo

Post by JoJo » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:49 am

I hadn't seen anyone post about The LION'S GATE card, so here it is:

NJPW "LION’S GATE PROJECT 1", 2/25/16
Tokyo Shinjuku FACE

1. Takumi Honjo Debut Match: Takumi Honjo vs. Shuhei Taniguchi (NOAH)
2. Hirai Kawato & Teruaki Kanemitsu vs. Hitoshi Kumano (NOAH) & Kaito Kiyomiya (NOAH)
3. David Finlay vs. Taiji Ishimori (NOAH)
4. Jay White vs. Yoshinari Ogawa (NOAH)
5. Manabu Nakanishi vs. Quiet Storm (NOAH)
6. Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Captain NOAH (NOAH) & Genba Hirayanagi (NOAH)
7. Juice Robinson vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima (NOAH)
8. Yuji Nagata vs. Mitsuhiro Kitamiya (NOAH)

I got tickets to the show last week, looking forward to all but matches 5 and 6. I was hoping to see a little more variety in the outside participation, but I am really enjoying NOAH's roster right now.

Takumi Honjo Profile
Birth date: 3/6/1992 (23 years old)
Height: 186 cm (6'1"), Weight: 110 kg (243 lb)
Hometown: Edogawa, Tokyo, Japan
Sports: Judo (12 years)

Takumi Honjo Timeline
March 2009: High School Graduation
October 2009: Entered Animal Hamaguchi Dojo
October 2013: Passed NJPW's Public Audition Test
December 2014: Entered NJPW's Dojo

It sure looks like Honjo is a prospect to be excited about. Unlike recent NJPW trainees, he is debuting as a heavyweight. He's also been trainng with Hamaguchi for 3 years, which is a great head start.

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:29 am

No way is Tanahashi losing two major matches in a row. While I'd like to see Omega win, there's just too many factors that say "no way."

Why not use the New Japan Cup to push Omega? Have him get his win against Tana there on his way to winning the tournament and challenging for the IC title.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:32 am

GuestTimekeeper wrote:No way is Tanahashi losing two major matches in a row. While I'd like to see Omega win, there's just too many factors that say "no way."

Why not use the New Japan Cup to push Omega? Have him get his win against Tana there on his way to winning the tournament and challenging for the IC title.
You could even do a scenario where Omega wins the NJ Cup but shockingly challenges Okada instead for the IWGP Heavyweight belt. That could work for a delusional heel like Omega,even if he were to lose to Tanahashi.

But I really don't see Gedo going down that route, so ignore my crazy ramblings :lol:

jesse

Post by jesse » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:04 am

The money match for the IC title is Omega vs Ibushi (in Tokyo to bring in the DDT fans). It's only matter of how much longer Kota will be out.

Besides if Tanahashi beats Omega who's the real challengers for him? It's the same problem Omega has. Doesn't really matter who wins. Those two will be having matches against each other until the G1 more than likely.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:51 am

I'm very sure that Tana wins. I just can't see another outcome. As someone already said, they'll have to stretch this program for a long time.

Tana winning and Omega taking the cup and winning in sumo hall seems much more likely to me.

abrasiveobelisksa

Post by abrasiveobelisksa » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:11 pm

Why not the opposite? Wouldn't it be more compelling for Omega to win the title now and Tanahashi win it back at Dominion?

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:41 pm

Because then how will you get to Omega/Ibushi after G1?

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:01 pm

I'm voting for the (mild) surprise of Omega getting the win. Keeps Bullet Club prominent, pushes a new face up which they obviously need and sets up what has the potential to be their money feud for a couple of years in Omega and Ibushi. Tanahashi would have a compelling story in trying to rebound from two big losses in a row.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:12 pm

Rebound to what? Another Okada match?

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:11 pm

Rebound to relevance? Might be an interesting story to tell with a legend just past his prime, not quite good enough to be the top dog any more, trying to sort out his new role. Ideally, a loss to Omega might force him into the tag scene with Elgin until the G1 and they can be built as tag contenders. The tag scene has been the biggest missed boat the last few years and, with proper building, could help level off the sting from current top of the card losses. If almost everyone on the roster had a regular tag partner, that would also spice up the house shows a bit instead of endless 6 and 8 and 10 man tags.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:22 pm

So what do you do with Omega after? He's gonna have to have at least two defenses before the G1 after this, and that can't be Tana again. If your end goal is Omega as champ, you better have something prepared for him. Omega would benefit much more from losing to Tana, winning the cup, then defeating Tana, than he will by just defeating Tana straight up and move on to other challengers.