NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
ssindelman

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by ssindelman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:56 pm

I'd like to see EVIL/Elgin for sure. Or Naito/EVIL going after those tag titles. Despite what anyone says about their ring work, I think Los Ingobernables de Japan are the biggest thing going in NJPW in terms of groups.

pol

Post by pol » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:00 pm

reDragon vs. Gedo/Sakuraba is the weirdest match on these cards. It could just be meaningless filler, but it's not constructed like meaningless filler matches usually are. Interested to see what the hell the direction is there.

ssindelman

Post by ssindelman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:04 pm

pol wrote:reDragon vs. Gedo/Sakuraba is the weirdest match on these cards. It could just be meaningless filler, but it's not constructed like meaningless filler matches usually are. Interested to see what the hell the direction is there.
One would assume with a booking like that, reDRagon isn't winning the Jr tag titles the night before.

pol

Post by pol » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:09 pm

If it's building to anything at all, it's probably O'Reilly/Sakuraba.

saviorofstrongstyle

Post by saviorofstrongstyle » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:12 pm

pol wrote:If it's building to anything at all, it's probably O'Reilly/Sakuraba.
I think this would be awesome and I'd love to see it.

ssindelman

Post by ssindelman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:20 pm

What's everyone thinking in regards to the vacant IC title? Omega makes the leap or does he hunt for a bit before cementing his place in the Hvyweight division.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:32 pm

He pinned Nakamura and ran AJ off. He's in perfect position to get off to a big start with his heavyweight push with a big title win over Tanahashi. Given the current main event scene, they need to do that badly. So, I think Omega wins and Tanahashi comes back for a rematch at Invasion Attacks after beating a couple of BC guys in the in between. But I think it would be a mistake to not have Omega win this one. Then again, it's Japan, and they love the slow, progressional build, so I'm likely entirely wrong.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:37 pm

The same 6-man being booked twice, makes me think BC is winning the 6-man titles on the first show, and then defend them on the second.

ssindelman

Post by ssindelman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:39 pm

Morten VH wrote:The same 6-man being booked twice, makes me think BC is winning the 6-man titles on the first show, and then defend them on the second.
But...but...but...it says non-title on Night 2. :D

brianjackson

Post by brianjackson » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:05 pm

So after Goto, who is next for Okada? I know they do the New Japan Cup gimmick, but realistically how many challengers are there that haven't been done already? They seem to be holding off on Naito for a while, they're doing Goto now, Shibata and Omega have their own titles, and they'd better not go back to Tanahashi this quickly.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:42 pm

Well the winner of the New Japan Cup will go on to challenge the IWGP Champ (most likely) at Invasion Attack. If those five guys you mentioned can't challenge then I'd say Kojima is the most likely. The story writes itself: veteran looking to prove himself one last time wins the NJC and challenges the IWGP Champion. Kojima was picking up plenty of wins in the tail end of 2015 I believe and has a couple this year already.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:50 pm

Omega has no chance of winning. Gedo was ballsy four years ago when he shocked everyone with Okada's win against Tanahashi, but I don't think he has it anymore. He has yet to convince me he's willing to leave the comfort zone.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Chismo wrote:Omega has no chance of winning. Gedo was ballsy four years ago when he shocked everyone with Okada's win against Tanahashi, but I don't think he has it anymore. He has yet to convince me he's willing to leave the comfort zone.
AJ Styles.

GOTNW

Post by GOTNW » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:00 pm

Sakuraba should move down to the junior division. Not like he's ever gonna do anything relevant in the heavyweight one and they desperately need big names to put KUSHIDA over and rebuild it.

pol

Post by pol » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:40 pm

To me the question isn't if Omega will win but if they will put any faith in him to main event the secondary shows that Nakamura was main eventing before. We've seen how reluctant they were to ever have an IC title match that didn't involve Nakamura regardless of whether he was actually champion or not. In his absence, it's easy to imagine Tanahashi sliding into the same position.

I would guess one of the following scenarios happens:

1. Tanahashi wins.
2. Omega wins, does whatever at Invasion Attack (doesn't matter since it won't be the main event), then drops it to Tanahashi at Wrestling Dontaku. That hedging, parity approach seems like a very Gedo thing to do.

The least likely scenario to me is Omega winning and main eventing any shows against non-Tanahashi challengers, unless something freakish happens like Okada losing the HW belt and challenging for the IC. At the same time though I can't write off the possibility completely. Averse circumstances produce different responses in different bookers; will Gedo become more conservative or more ballsy?
Last edited by pol on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.