NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
STAP.

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by STAP. » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:07 am

It'll be incredible if Omega continues his cleaner bit on a main event level.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:12 am

Ah man that would bum me out. He's so good without all the comedy stuff I don't think he needs it. And it seems like the NJPW crowd doesn't really get it.

GOTNW

Post by GOTNW » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:26 am

Tigerkinney wrote:
GOTNW wrote:
Chismo wrote:While I really like Omega (despite being underwhelmed by his NJ run so far), it'll be really idiotic if he dethrones Nakamura at TNB, because by golly, he just lost the Jr. Title on the biggest show of the year.
Like Gedo cares about logic. Omega magically powered up and went from having three King Of Colosseum powerballs to four.
Well it makes sense now why KUSHIDA won back the Junior Title on a counter roll-up, rather than making Omega tap-out.
He still pinned him. It's lazy booking and doesn't make sense. Not saying it's gonna effect the product in any way since the current fanbase probably doesn't care about stuff like that at all.

Re: your other post-I watch modern New Japan for the same reason I watch all wrestling, mostly out of habit. Modern New Japan sometimes delivers. It's not some super terrible product or anything. It's not something out of this world great either. I just call it like I see it. And don't worry I don't take your opinion seriously either.

wac

Post by wac » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:41 am

suplexberry wrote:I have a legitimate question about pay/contract structure on NJPW. Is it finances that are swaying gaijins to leave New Japan or is it more the booking? I was under the impression that gaijins on tours were making decent money, and even Gallows, without a premium contract, was making a buttload on weekly payments based on being booked quite often. Not that wrestlers ever make amazing sums for what their bodies go through, but I was under the impression that some of these guys were legitimately very happy working the deal they had going, both creatively and financially. (Though I know many of them want to become stars in the US, which is probably why any WWE deal could be appealing.)

Personally am psyched to see where Omega goes. Obviously it is a challenge for New Japan but nothing's set in stone and it's a good situation to re-evaluate and possibly bump up pay for whoever is willing to be kept around. The roster is deep enough to elevate some fresh upper echelon talent, and there are a few potential gaijins to be signed up full time. So I'm relatively positive, but admittedly every possibility is there also to be completely bungled. Like we saw with WWE last year, lots of injuries doesn't necessarily mean new talent elevated, but instead booking putting more eggs into the one basket they really like.
I don't really see why the booking would have anything to do with it. AJ, Doc, and Anderson were all booked very well. AJ's 38 and works a style that's very hard on his body, and he and Anderson both came up in wrestling at a time when WWE was the ultimate goal.

wac

Post by wac » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:47 am

GOTNW wrote:
Tigerkinney wrote:
GOTNW wrote: Like Gedo cares about logic. Omega magically powered up and went from having three King Of Colosseum powerballs to four.
Well it makes sense now why KUSHIDA won back the Junior Title on a counter roll-up, rather than making Omega tap-out.
He still pinned him. It's lazy booking and doesn't make sense. Not saying it's gonna effect the product in any way since the current fanbase probably doesn't care about stuff like that at all.

Re: your other post-I watch modern New Japan for the same reason I watch all wrestling, mostly out of habit. Modern New Japan sometimes delivers. It's not some super terrible product or anything. It's not something out of this world great either. I just call it like I see it. And don't worry I don't take your opinion seriously either.
Omega had to lose to step out of the junior division, just like Kevin Owens had to put over Finn Balor to move up and Sasha had to put over Bayley. Ibushi losing to KUSHIDA didn't hurt his credibility one bit when it came time for him to move up to heavyweight. If Omega beats Nakamura nobody's going to give a shit that he lost to KUSHIDA in a match everyone expected him to lose because it was the only logical finish. It makes no sense to destroy the credibility of the next champion and the entire division on the way out of it. It would do so much more damage to do it another way.

GOTNW

Post by GOTNW » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:52 am

Ibushi getting injured in the KUSHIDA match made his transition to the heavyweight division a lot easier for them to book since he had a couple of months off. It's something that really sticks out in Omega's case. I will note that this could've easily been avoided if KUSHIDA has never lost the belt to Omega in the first place (which would've also made Kamaitachi coming in and taking the belt, something I sincerely hope they are sane enough to book, have more effect).

wac

Post by wac » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:00 am

People complain about stale booking and not creating new stars, but now they can't put the new leader of the Bullet Club and new heavyweight over the guy who's LEAVING THE COMPANY

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:09 am

GOTNW wrote:
Tigerkinney wrote:
GOTNW wrote: Like Gedo cares about logic. Omega magically powered up and went from having three King Of Colosseum powerballs to four.

Can't agree with you on the way they've handled Omega's rise up to the heavyweight ranks as 'lazy booking'. But fair enough on why you continue to watch New Japan, though I had the feeling it would be the 'I watch it out of habit' answer.

Am curious though which wrestlers in particular you do enjoy in current NJPW?

GOTNW

Post by GOTNW » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:28 am

Naito, Ishii, Honma, Makabe, Yano, Shibata, Sakuraba, KUSHIDA, Liger, Ibushi (not a fan of his before he became a heavyweight but he won me over) and also Nakamura and AJ if you're counting them. There's also a plethora of other wrestlers who I think can have very good to great matches in the right environment and you have a guy like Tenzan who isn't even any good right now but is a sentimental favourite of mine (and will still turn it on about once a year, mostly in a Korauken G1 match).

JonnyBart

Post by JonnyBart » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:12 am

Is there a reason that Kamaitachi isn't on the FantasticaMania shows?

Lineups are here -> http://www.thecubsfan.com/cmll/2016/01/ ... announced/

pol

Post by pol » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:33 am

There are so many amazing looking matches on those shows.

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:43 am

pol wrote:There are so many amazing looking matches on those shows.
Has me interested in checking out New Japan shows for a change. But that's what happens when CMLL decides to send Titan, Atlantis, Virus, Hechicero, Dragon Lee, Guerrero Maya Jr., Cavernario, etc. over.

STAP.

Post by STAP. » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:28 am

lol Atlantis teaming with CJ Parker. Can this guy get the fuck out already?

sivapc

Post by sivapc » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:37 am

Are you guys doing any feature on AJ's run in NJPW?

ThomasOP

Post by ThomasOP » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:22 am

Virus vs. Liger!!!!!!!! New Japan can keep taking my money!