NJPW (Discussion)

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

NJPW (Discussion)

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:07 am

Complain about Honma & Shibata not being pushed hard enough right here.

Quentin Moody

Re: Strong Style Spirit - New Japan catch all thread

Post by Quentin Moody » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:46 am

I am really intrigued in the new Naito we saw on the Road To show. His not giving a single fuck about anything that's going on is something I can get in to.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:04 am

That Korakuen show was FUCKING GREAT, and exactly what RAW should be at least twice per month (hey, they can't all be winners when you run weekly).

Everything on that show served a purpose, and there were a bunch of cool matches. I'm sure you all saw me rave on Twitter, but Tiger Mask/Tanaka was fantastic. The main event was one of those super fun matches that we never see on RAW that would serve to get people over if they ever broke format for once and did something different. I ranted about something similar concerning a Dragon Gate four way six man tag spotfest a few months back.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:37 am

Alright, Dominion prediction time

Okada vs. Styles
Goto vs. Nakamura
Makabe vs. Ishii
Kingdom vs. BC
Kenny Omega vs. KUSHIDA
Tanahashi vs. Yano
Shibata vs. Sakuraba
Naito/Honma vs. Yujiro/Fale
Bucks vs. reDRagon vs. RPG Vice

I don't see Okada losing two major matches in a row and three overall against AJ. I think Goto wins Nakamura again to finally take Nakamura away from the IC title. Ishii wins back his belt. The build for KUSHIDA has been too perfect for him not to win.

I can't wait for this show.

I think the rest of the year could go two ways. Nakamura wins G1 and wrestles Okada at the Dome, or the more interesting scenerio (maybe just fantasy booking, who knows):
Ibushi beats AJ in the G1 final with Omega helping fend off BC interference. Nakamura wrestles Okada at KOPW and wins the belt. WK main event is Nakamura vs. Ibushi. I could really see Ibushi wrestling any of the big three in the main this year, I'm almost certain it's happening, but Nakamura makes most sense.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:21 am

They've clearly set up Nak to be Ibushi's big scalp, so it's only a matter of time, and it'll happen only at the biggest of shows (so either WK or a G1 Final, imo).

As you've pointed out, they also still have a Nak/Okada match saved up in their back pocket.

This is the most intriguing G1 of the last few years from a booking perspective to see where all of this falls.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:46 am

I think the most likely scenario is Nakamura is winning the G1 and then beating Okada at the Dome. He'll then have a year long reign until the following WK in 2017 where Ibushi finally gets his scalp, which will also be when Okada finally beats Tanahashi at the Dome. Then again, I thought Nakamura was winning the G1 last year.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:03 pm

I need to see Tanahashi perform in the G1 and against HARASHIMA before I lay out long term booking predictions. If there is a noticeable drop in his output, then with his days & total matches numbered as an elite worker i'd say some of his bigger loses are closer to being around the corner while the matches can still deliver. Remember, he still has to lose to Okada again in a big match. There is no way that Okada crying his way to the back is the final moment in that rivalry.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:36 pm

I think that match has to be at a WrestleKingdom though. Okada has beaten Tanahashi in multiple big matches, but never at Kingdom. But are we going to get that same match at Kingdom this year after it main eventing last year, I doubt it but who knows.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:29 pm

I think it'd be way too early (WK) for Ibushi to get his win back on Nakamura. I say you let that build up and fester for awhile.

My dream scenario is Okada wins the belt back at Dominion, has a nice little run with it until WrestleKingdom where he faces Nakamura. Either scenario (Nak winning the belt or Okada retaining) gives you an entire summer of intriguing matchups as neither guy have had prolonged reigns in some time. Ideally, you give it to Nakamura and let him run with it for a bit.

Ibushi can beat Nak in two years or something but rushing it to the next year (rushing it being a year, what a world) would seems far too quick. That needs to be Ibushi's defining victory. When he beats Nakamura it has to be full steam ahead.

Andy Doran

Post by Andy Doran » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:11 pm

I think the new attitude Naito is going to be a wildcard. I can see him getting real hot real quick if he goes full steam with his act from 6/28. I know the first half of the year points to Ibushi getting a big run, but his dual contract still makes me skeptical. I'll gladly admit to being wrong when he fires off a string of big wins.

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:02 pm

With how much effort has been put into keeping Styles and Nakamura apart, I can't help but believe that they're saving that for a Wrestle Kingdom main event. A strong attendance at Dominion will add to his status as a legit draw, and perhaps that may lead Gedo to put his faith in Styles as the first gaijin to main event the Tokyo Dome since Lesnar. Obviously, that would entail Styles keeping the title for 11 months.

But that may be just wishful thinking.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:05 pm

I think Nakamura Styles will end up being this year's G1 final.

Tanner1495

Post by Tanner1495 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:28 pm

Yup, I'm chalking up Styles/Nakamura as a pre block announcement Final, I also am so bold to say that I think Ibushi has a high chance of beating Nakamura in the G1 if they are in the same block, but this is all legit fantasy booking until block announcements, although I think Nakamura is the clear winner of the G1.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:34 pm

I think they'll be keeping Ibushi away from Nakamura, can't see them blowing that big win in a G1 unless it was a final.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:26 am

I'd like to talk Goto or a minute. I really don't see him losing the IC back to Nakamura. Like everyone else said,he is headed for other things now and doesn't need the belt. I'd love to see Goto get a good strong run with the belt. He's maybe my favorite guy on the roster and him proving he can win big matches could be the feel good story of the year. Obviously him and Shibata have tons of history and could make for another great match or so since they haven't faced each other in over a year, and never feuded over a title. The Naito with a rude 'tude would be awesome too, that's who I think the next challenger should be.