King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Re: King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Post by Robareid » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:54 pm

Okada?

;)

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:59 pm

I said it jokingly on twitter. But Akiyama needs to give Otani a call. Ask him how he pulled through.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:02 pm

Pulled through is probably being overly generous to ZERO1's current status of existence in running like six shows that make tape a year.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:30 pm

But they are still around. And they seem to have a new sponsor, the biggest retail store chain in asia.

Irving

Post by Irving » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:51 pm

Jun Sado passed the audition he will join the dojo in March. I would have just taken anyone who showed up. They could use a strong 5+ rookie class right now.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:03 pm

Please do what Fray said and push Zeus to the moon, that way I can act smug about knowing he'd be a star way back when. But seriously, I really like Zeus and I think he'd do great.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:59 pm

I'm just waiting for the Bodyguard Crown run.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:02 pm

Bodyguard defending the TC using spinning kicks would be gold.

IF they put the belt on Zeus they could draw some good crowds in Osaka most likely. Since Zeus seems like a decent draw there. His self produced show drew 3.5K for example.

Trilly Robinson

Post by Trilly Robinson » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:20 pm

Yeah, I'm a big Zeus fan too. Gotta rewatch the Tag match from 1/2, but on the whole it was definitely a good show. REALLY enjoyed the main event and am definitely a bit sad to not get a good Suwama run. For my money, and I don't watch EVERY All Japan show but my gut reaction was that it was probably my favorite singles match since the Go/Joe match.

pol

Post by pol » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:21 am

PKThree wrote:Bodyguard defending the TC using spinning kicks would be gold.

IF they put the belt on Zeus they could draw some good crowds in Osaka most likely. Since Zeus seems like a decent draw there. His self produced show drew 3.5K for example.
Zeus is always in main events when they go to Osaka anyway. Maybe adding the TC on top of that makes him even more of a draw?

Seems like the best decision right now would be for Zeus to win the TC and then Miyahara/Lee to win the tag titles. Lee isn't ready to be the junior guy in a world champion tag team but they don't have much choice really.

rollup

Post by rollup » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:38 am

think they should put the crown on Zeus and rebuilt from osaka region ... the tokyo scene is too packed to draw money

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:15 am

Jesus that Keichi Sato news is shit! He was so good do quick

pol

Post by pol » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:14 pm

rollup wrote:think they should put the crown on Zeus and rebuilt from osaka region ... the tokyo scene is too packed to draw money
It really does seem like this is at least worth giving a shot at this point. The Wrestle Dream show headlined by BIG GUNS vs. Akiyama/Omori for the AJPW tag titles drew an announced 3,500 in Osaka (granted in an arena that seats about 7,500, but it's hard to imagine 3,500 wasn't a success for what they were expecting). They also drew a 650 sellout this month for a fairly nothing show there (Suwama/Aoki/Sato vs. Zeus/Bodygah/Billy Ken Kid main event).

The March tour seems to be hitting a lot of lesser markets. There's the obligatory Korakuen show of course, but then they're hitting Tatebayashi, Yokohama, Tomigusuku, Kawaguchi and Nagaoka. This is probably smart so long as they can do good local promotion. No Osaka shot is odd though.

Irving

Post by Irving » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:07 pm

Suwama say's he'll be back in June. Also, they probably aren't running Osaka in March because the Carnival is in April and they'll draw a decent house for it there. I will say that the one thing good Shiraishi did (besides bailing Muto out) was spend a ton of money building Osaka for All Japan with commercials and all the promo they would do in the area.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:21 pm

I brought this up on twitter to no response (my game in wrestling twitter is weak). But should AJPW look at an alternate Tokyo venue for their lesser shows? Say Shinjuku Face. Face takes roughly 700 people, so the typical number of people AJPW draws in Tokyo wouldn't look too bad in there. And they could run the hall for things like the champion's carnival and other big shows. Or would that be considered defeat?