King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
PKThree

Re: King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Post by PKThree » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:06 pm

RolandGunner wrote:
PKThree wrote: And then Zeus picked up the win in the big Champion carnival multi-man tag main event by pinning Kento. He then declared that his goal was winning the carnival and challenging for the belt
Having Kento take the pin the first match after winning the TC seems very weird to me.
It's standard AJP booking and has been for a long time. There are a select group of wrestlers that can take a pin on Kento and Zeus is one of them (the others include Joe, Suwama and Shuji). Zeus tends to be this guy that can take pins off of Kento in tournaments and tag matches, but when they square off for the belt Kento finds another gear and comes out on top.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:28 pm

Looked up Kento and Zeus' singles record against each other. Since both joined AJP they have wrestled 1 on 1 3 times. The first being a time limit draw. The second one went to Kento for the Triple Crown and the third went to Zeus in last year's carnival

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:00 pm

Finally saw Miyahara/Doering. What'd people think? I thought it was very good if not quite as good as other matches they've had against other people.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:14 pm

Lawsoncomedy wrote:Finally saw Miyahara/Doering. What'd people think? I thought it was very good if not quite as good as other matches they've had against other people.
I thought it was really good. I would probably go **** 1/4. It was a very simple but effective story, Joe is a monster that is gonna beat your ass and so he did, loved the ringside powerbomb tease and the actual powerbomb, thought poor Kento was dead. But Kento persevered and slowly chopped down the monster with Blackout after Blackout and barely got the win, both guys were great in their roles.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:33 pm

A new class of 3 students reported to the AJPW dojo earlier this week.

Set your prayer engines to intense that an entire class makes it through training this time

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:16 pm

1290 fans for the opening day of the Carnival in Sendai. This venue was much better than the Saitama one and the crowd was miced up a lot better so the matches felt more lively just by being able to hear the crowd. Would not say no to the Sun Plaza becoming a venue for major shows.

Ebina had his debut vs Aoki. He looked decent for a debut but obviously clunky. He'll improve as he keeps working.

The undercard flew by as well. Even the 9 minute Kikuchi singles match was okay because he was put with Ultimo who adapted to how limited Kikuchi is like a boss.

As for tournament results. Hino beat Shuji in a great match. Lots of stiff strikes and just two big dudes running into each other. Then Akiyama beat Dylan James in a fun heavyweight sprint. Dylan went for the power moves early and tried to put Akiyama away quick only to get rolled up in about 4 minutes because Akiyama had so much more experience. Maybe a tag title match in the future? And Dylan still looked strong when on the offensive.

Then Shingo and Kento had the arguable match of the night. It is a fresh breath to see Shingo in an environment where he isn't the biggest guy around. Shingo attacked Kento's knee to weaken the Blackout and then put him away with the Made in Japan and challenged for a title shot after the tournament.

Zeus came back from underneath to beat Suwama in the Main Event. Zeus seems to be working through a thigh injury so Suwama targeted that the entire match and was basically the big bully that Zeus had to overcome.

The livestream was flawless. Tomorrow's show goes up on a 24 hour delay so look for it on Monday on ajpwtv.

WalkKingsRoad

Post by WalkKingsRoad » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:41 pm

Id say 1290 is a pretty decent number. Yuji Hino whoa baby.

RolandGunner

Post by RolandGunner » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:27 am

WalkKingsRoad wrote:Id say 1290 is a pretty decent number. Yuji Hino whoa baby.
It looks like this was the first big All Japan show in Sendai in years. Its going to take time for them to build the secondary markets back up so this was a good start.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:57 am

Real good show today from Hakata Star Lanes. Seems like they burned through most of the lesser match ups early and we are now heading into the business end of things. There are still a few matches that will be not as good left but there are better match ups as well on the cards to even things out.

Kento and Shuji had another nice match in their series, probably the most even one yet between the two. And Yuji Hino vs Shingo was a slobberknocker. Hino has been booked real strong this entire tournament. Sai and Joe had a nice heavyweight sprint, hitting some big moves and teasing what could be if they were given more time. And Suwama came out fired up for his match with Akiyama as well.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:57 pm

Yoshi Tatsu just had a better CC match with Suwama than Naomichi Marufuji. Just two big dudes clobbering each other and pacing it real nice.

Maru has honestly been a bit disappointing in the carnival. He seems uninterested in delivering in most of his matches. His match with KAI today was easily his best IMO and a big factor in that was KAI stepping up and refusing to let it be a bad match

rollup

Post by rollup » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Marafuji has been sleepwalking and more interested in his walking advertisement vests

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:16 pm

Motoko Baba, who helped found the company alongside her late husband Shohei "Giant" Baba and who ran the company as president after her husbands passing until the sale to Muto in 2002 has passed away. She had been battling cirrhosis of the liver for the past year and passed last week.

A devise figure in the history of pro wrestling, since many credit her with driving Misawa out of the company in 99 but still ever so important to All Japan's existence, from its beginning to today. Where her husband played the role of good guy and fun father figure to his roster she was the strict mother and a sly and accomplished businesswoman in her own right.

RIP

WalkKingsRoad

Post by WalkKingsRoad » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:17 am

Good number for the Akiyama Marufuji Korakuen show, Carnival seems to have picked up serious steam over the last few shows after a so-so start.

Miyahara v Marufuji or Hino v Marufuji? I wouldn't be opposed to Hino in the final he's been awesome.

dcye

Post by dcye » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:07 pm

The Akiyama-Maru match was an absolute war. Thank God Marufuji brought it for this, he had some bad bad matches early in the Carnival. I guess he's been working a heavy schedule so going all out for the whole Carnival is a bit silly.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Marufuji vs Akiyama was indeed fantastic. Absolutely loved it. Akiyama refusing to go down after a thousand Ko-ohs was great, reminded me of that awesome Jun/Kento match from 2016 when he also wouldn't go down for Kento's knees as he knew it'd be over if he did. Maru wasn't great throughout the tournament, but, I mean, I kinda get why the guy wouldn't go all out with, say, Dylan James in front of 300 people. Only match that I really felt underdelivered considering the spot it was in was the Zeus match as it was the main event in Osaka. That match should've been better. Since we can tell after the Korakuen main that Marufuji is gonna bring it for the final, I'm cool with him being there and possibly winning.

Since Hino/Kento is the main event, I think things are going to go down in such a manner that the winner of that match goes to the final (which means Nomura and Shuji winning, I felt like Nomura was getting the upset here from the beginning and Shuji is probably not going to end with a negative record so that also suggests his victory). Personally I want Hino to kill Miyahara and advance, then I guess anything can happen after that.