King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Dragonzombie

Re: King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Post by Dragonzombie » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:02 pm

All Asia tags have been open weight for years but it seems they want it on older guys now. Meanwhile the world tags are hot shot belts.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:19 pm

In fairness a lot of the guys they pop into that Double A scene are just vets who have no business on top but still have some appeal and value. The average age of the AJPW roster is just an old one right now.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:11 pm

obliterati wrote:Are the All Asia Tag Titles strictly 4 tha dadz?
Depends on the era and who is doing the booking. Over the years they have served as defacto junior belts, lesser heavyweight belts, and currently it seems, "dad" belts.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:14 pm

Really liked the main and the AA, everything else ranged from harmless fun to boring as fuck (Aoki/Kondo). Hvt tag was hard hitting.

Something has to be done about the juniors. It's dire and has been for a while. Desperately needs an injection of excitement. Import a flippy guy to counter balance the grapplers, all of whom are old, boring, or both.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:34 pm

Angelico would do them wonders.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:27 pm

Enjoying the current turbulence of the 'main' tag title scene, you're basically setting up a solid base of four-five regular teams who you know can rule the roost but are neck-and-neck with each other, gives you several teams who can help build up some hot new team down the line, if/when such a team emerges. It's also reminding me of the early history of the Oz Academy tag titles, where the first three sets of champions were also zero-defense teams, until they were ready to center the division around a couple of consistent, rival teams. Hooray for roundabout nostalgia, I guess.

More excited about Hagure IGF pulling off the victory, though. 1-0!

RolandGunner

Post by RolandGunner » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:43 pm

That Saitama show was tough to make it through. I'm glad that All Japan is running bigger venues but the crowd was just dwarfed by the size of that building. Until the old man tag it felt like they were in an empty arena. The ME and All Asia tag are the only matches I'd recommend.

Didn't get putting Sai and James over at all. Zeus is one of their top guys but he's just getting bounced around. A long tag reign would have at least given him something to build on and the new champs didn't impress.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Feel like it could be tipping off a Zeus Carnival win and potential TC win. Seems to be a booking pattern of this regime. Lose a tag belt, move up to something else on the singles side.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:16 am

Giving the belt to Zeus now would be long overdue. It'd also mean Kento would be dropping the title without a defense. They could have just given Zeus Ishikawa last year and made him that way.

rollup

Post by rollup » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:30 pm

i am not sure if they will give zeus the carnival win. i meant if they have him win the title challenge , that will mean kento drops it on his first defense. on the other hand if zeus loses again , this will be his 4th attempt and he will be the AJPW Goto lol

i think marafuji is the safer and better option to win the carnival.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:51 pm

I think Zeus will be the one to take it off Kento this time. But it won't be as a result of him winning the carnival. I think Marufuji wins the carnival since he is entering it for the first time in his 20th anniversary year.

But AJPW are running a big show at the bigger Edion Arena in Osaka on July 29 and that screams Kento vs Zeus to me

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:58 pm

PKThree wrote:I think Zeus will be the one to take it off Kento this time. But it won't be as a result of him winning the carnival. I think Marufuji wins the carnival since he is entering it for the first time in his 20th anniversary year.

But AJPW are running a big show at the bigger Edion Arena in Osaka on July 29 and that screams Kento vs Zeus to me
Bingo. I'm certain they're going to run Kento vs Zeus in Osaka, and I'm also betting on Zeus finally winning the TC there.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:03 pm

Kento/Zeus in Osaka seems like the logical play (if you indeed want the belt on Zeus, an idea i'm OK with but not as sold on as others), and it's what i'd probably do, but the recent booking patterns concern me. As mentioned before, they seem to like to set up singles stuff with a tag run, and they've also done a ton of short title runs over the last year.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:36 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:Really liked the main and the AA, everything else ranged from harmless fun to boring as fuck (Aoki/Kondo). Hvt tag was hard hitting.

Something has to be done about the juniors. It's dire and has been for a while. Desperately needs an injection of excitement. Import a flippy guy to counter balance the grapplers, all of whom are old, boring, or both.
I actually liked Tajiri's reign, I thought that match with Sato was fucking awesome.

Would love a luchador in there though. Maybe even someone who can flip or grapple.

Also I do think Zeus should be champ at some point, but I'd rather them tell a longer story. Like atleast have Kento hold the belt for 6 months.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:43 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:Kento/Zeus in Osaka seems like the logical play (if you indeed want the belt on Zeus, an idea i'm OK with but not as sold on as others), and it's what i'd probably do, but the recent booking patterns concern me. As mentioned before, they seem to like to set up singles stuff with a tag run, and they've also done a ton of short title runs over the last year.
It's a downside of having a small roster I guess. All Japan currently have 14 guys on contract, 15 once Ebina debuts and 16 if you count Joe who is on a "gaijin deal". They can't really put the belt on a freelancer with a long reign planned because there is no guarantee that the freelancer won't leave. Noah is having/will have similar issues. New Japan, DDT and Dragon Gate all have bigger rosters so they have that luxury.

Both All Japan and NOAH either need to start signing guys down to written deals (take KAI for example in AJPW, he is on every show but is still freelance.) or they need to start churning out talent out of their dojos at a much faster rate to buff up their rosters.

IMO I think both Shuji and Joe had decently long reigns even if both could have gone longer but the Suwama and Kento reigns in the fall were basically just transport stretches. And the tag belts have basically been cursed with people getting injured left and right