King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
PKThree

Re: King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Post by PKThree » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:17 pm

The Yokohama card is starting to shape up nicely. Hopefully we can get Okami vs NexTream 2 for the asia tag belts to boost the card some more

WalkKingsRoad

Post by WalkKingsRoad » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:41 pm

Man I would love if Hideyoshi Kamitani jumped to All Japan, seems like he wrestles better for them, and he's a beefy young heavyweight

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:27 pm

Joe Doering mentioned the new 4 strongs (Suwama, Joe, Kento, Shuji Ishikawa). Reference to the old 5 strongs ( Misawa, Kawada, Kobashi, Taue, Jun.) Tells you what they think about Zeus.

Another thing to note AJP uses the pro-wrestling term mostly over the Royal Road these days. Even if they have a tournament named after Royal Road.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:47 am

Shame they don't treat Zeus better. I'm a broken record on this, but the dude has chops.

WalkKingsRoad

Post by WalkKingsRoad » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:52 am

He definitely could be a big(ger) star. Curious to know where Doering said this, was it an interview or podcast?

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Several Japanese newsites.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:01 pm

They still obviously value Zeus and he'll be a lynchpin for their tag division at minimum. And I don't doubt that he will eventually win the TC, but probably not have a super long reign. He's positioned as the gatekeeper right now. And should any of the Strong 4 end up longterm injured then he will obviously be ready to step up like he did when Suwama went out injured.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:12 am

No, I get that he's not just a jobber for Osaka cards or anything. Holding the tag team division together is a good thing and a reliable thing. I just think he should have had his first TC title run (if brief) much quicker than Suwama or Doering needed another one. Him beating Ishikawa then dropping it to Kento would have been fine in my eyes, since he gets the big one over the outsider only to then put over the ace.

Speaking of Ishikawa, is he still freelancing or has he become a loyalist? Cagematch has him and Atsushi Maruyama on the regular roster, but I don't know if that's just because they worked AJPW as their primary company last year or something.

RolandGunner

Post by RolandGunner » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 pm

All Japan announced that February 3rd Aoyagi and Nomura defend the All Asian titles against Jun and Yuji Nagata! This should be a helluva match and quite the coup for the young team if they win.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Shuji is freelance. Anyway there's a possible chance Omori might not come back.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:49 pm

Yup. Cervical hernia. Worst case scenario is a career killer.

pol

Post by pol » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:18 am

The 2/3 show will be live on Samurai

packerman120

Post by packerman120 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:57 pm

Sad that Omori is hurt, but man, that new match is awesome! I hope Akiyama and Nagata just work like grumpy old men.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:22 am

Doering vs. Zeus is really awesome. The closing stretch of both guys just dropping bombs, to the point where they almost took themselves out of the match, was brilliant. I loved when Zeus hit just a NASTY jackhammer, but could barely pin Joe. The way Joe just kind of rolled out of the pin was awesome. Just a great, great match.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:37 pm

K. Hare wrote:Doering vs. Zeus is really awesome. The closing stretch of both guys just dropping bombs, to the point where they almost took themselves out of the match, was brilliant. I loved when Zeus hit just a NASTY jackhammer, but could barely pin Joe. The way Joe just kind of rolled out of the pin was awesome. Just a great, great match.
Agreed, really enjoyed that. I'm into Joe vs KAI, KAI had a great match with Kento last year.