King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Danwaka

Re: King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Post by Danwaka » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:33 am

AJPW kicked off the year in good fashion, yeah. Have to admit, I wish KAI would make his way back full-time if only for my heart's sake but I suppose he has more options as a freelancer to work elsewhere.

And on a sidenote, I've been perusing Mutoh Era records on cagematch and I was wondering if someone could give me a heads up on the Love Machines stable. What was the idea behind the stable, was it a promotional thing like some of the other stuff Mutoh did, were they babyfaces and did it have any legs with the crowds?

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:11 am

They can sign KAI next year if they want.

Love Machines was a short lived group with GREAT MUTA or Rellik.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:56 am

Yeah, but what was the Machines gimmick, exactly?

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:17 am

Same as the Machines gimmick everywhere.  It was people you knew under the Machine gimmick.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:21 am

Dragonzombie wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:17 am
Same as the Machines gimmick everywhere.  It was people you knew under the Machine gimmick.
So uh for future reference, I started watching WWE in 2005 intermittently and never really went back into most of the Golden Age stuff for them, AWA, NWA, AJPW, NJPW, etc... so if this is some big angle from the 1990s or something I've got no clue.

On a sidenote, I previously referenced AJPW collaborating with Playboy in 2008 and I finally found a forum somewhere talking about it in more detail!

https://www.wrestlingforum.com/other-wr ... t-now.html

It was apparently a special production with Nana Natsume (apparently an AV idol?) involved. There were some Playmates working as valets for a U-30 Tag Tournament, where perhaps ironically BUSHI and KUSHIDA worked as a tag team and won the whole shebang. KUSHIDA stated that he loved working for All Japan, saying that he wanted to form a junior pair with T28 more often on the All Japan mat (irony of ironies), and Mutoh came out to close the show to praise all the youngsters and perv a bit on the playmates.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:19 am

I remember that event.

Anyway the love Machines faction was a take on Super Strong Machine's gimmick. And isn't the first time  a group of machines as a faction either. See WWF 80's and NJPW.

avengers23

Post by avengers23 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:11 pm

With the demise of Puroresu Spirit, where do people go for All Japan (and NOAH and Wrestle-1) news?

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:41 pm

Twitter, usually.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:25 am

JBOG final: ***1/2
Tag title: ***1/2
Kento/Suwama: ****1/2

Nothing else above ***. Enjoyable show.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:39 pm

Random question, but does anyone know what streamer colours there were in 90s AJPW besides the Pillars? Did guys like Omori, Takayama, etc... get them?

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:51 pm

I know people are hot and cold on AJPW juniors in general but Iwamoto definitely has something. If he manages to grow a little bit and expand his match structure I think he'll totally get to be one of the top tier guys in the company (he's definitely already pushed/treated like one).

Excellent Suwama performance here too. Kento was great, but he sort of excels in letting his opponent play to their strengths. He can basically just be a great babyface and hit his big spots and sell great and make his opponent look incredible.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Anyone else watching along with the Champion Carnival? I'm doing it piecemeal but so far it's been decent. A propensity of AJPW heavyweight singles matches is never a bad thing, especially coming off a drought with the juniors tournament. Gives you a catalogue to catch up on when AJPW gets hit and miss.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:28 am

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:41 am

Jun Akiyama has been replaced as president of AJPW. I initially found it via Strigga, but here's the direct article link he provided.

https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/prores/ajpw/1466070/

Translating it gives me this. I didn't get all of it, though.
On the 9th, it was revealed in an interview that Jun Akiyama (49) resigned as president of "All Japan Pro Wrestling". Since his inauguration on July 1, 2014, he made efforts to rebuild the group and train wrestlers, and has passed the baton at his five year milestone. Tsuyoki Fukuda (53) will oversee the company in the future. Fukuda's appointment will be officially announced at the Tokyo Korakuen Hall on October 10. As a long-established promotion, All Japan Pro Wrestling has entered a new phase.

At the general meeting of shareholders held on the 8th in Yokohama, it was decided that Akiyama would resign and that Fukuda would become the new president. In an interview, Akiyama said that "It's better to have the owner run the business to make the group bigger." and added "I've been working hard for 5 years, so I'd like to focus on the fight in the ring instead of following the numbers."

All Japan Pro Wrestling was in a slump period in July 2014, when Akiyama became president. It was owned by Nobuo Shiraishi of All Japan Wrestling Systems Co., Ltd., who ran the company from November 2012 following on from Keiji Mutoh.

After Akiyama became president, Kento Miyahara (30) emerged as an ace, while youngsters like Yuma Aoyagi (23) and Nomura Naoya (25) have grown rapidly. Attendances grew rapidly, and the King’s Road was being rebuilt. But being both an executive and a wrestler was a heavy burden, and Akiyama withdrew from title contention during his presidency.

The professional wrestling industry in Japan continues to be dominated by New Japan Pro Wrestling, while Pro Wrestling NOAH has moved to a new ownership in February 2019 and is aiming for the clear second place in the industry.

Tsuyoki Fukuda, who is a businessman involved in hospitality and real estate has commented, saying that “I want us to rank first and second, but quality is important. I feel confident in our product, and that we will increase the fanbase that follows All Japan Pro Wrestling.”

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:15 pm

Jun deserves a ton of credit from literally saving the company from death (basically creating a new company out of the shell of the former AJPW) and getting it back to semi-respectability but you can't ignore that business had plateaued. Now I'm not sure how much of that is his fault or the landscape of Japanese pro wrestling as a whole but it needed to get addressed and this is the first step towards it.