King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Danwaka

Re: King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Post by Danwaka » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Maru wasn't great throughout the tournament, but, I mean, I kinda get why the guy wouldn't go all out with, say, Dylan James in front of 300 people.
Maybe if the dude did more to attract buzz around his month long run in AJPW he'd attract some of that buzz back to NOAH.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:18 pm

Former WWE Performance Center recruit Leo Gao has been spotted in the AJPW dojo.

pol

Post by pol » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:10 pm

There's no way they're putting two outsiders in the CC final.

Another one of the new trainees is Yuma Aoyagi's younger brother.

Irving

Post by Irving » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:53 am

Where'd you find the info on Aoyagi's brother?

pol

Post by pol » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:45 am

Commentary mentioned it during the Korakuen show.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:30 am

What have been the must-see matches of the tournament? Maru/Akiyama...what else?

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:56 am

Anything with Shingo Takagi and Yuji Hino. Those dudes need to become regulars, ASAP.

WalkKingsRoad

Post by WalkKingsRoad » Fri May 04, 2018 2:00 am

Well Marufuji v Kento for the Triple Crown. Miyahara get his win back or does Marufuji win and take it to Noah with him. Pol on twitter mentioned if Marufuji wins he can defend against Suwama and Zeus (in Osaka) then lose it at Marufuji's 20th anniversary Sumo Hall show in September. But I could see All Japan not wanting any of that, plus they've got a pretty decent venue sized show in August I believe, Kikkoman or something, that they'll need a good card for.

And yes, please sign Shingo and Hino back.

Irving

Post by Irving » Mon May 07, 2018 3:37 pm

NJPW 4 shows @ Korakuen att 5927 avg 1481.75

AJPW 3 shows @ Korakuen att 4900 avg 1633.33

All Japan drew about 150 more fans in April. The press are touting this as a return of the "big two". All in all it's pretty exciting to see what a shot in the arm the tour was, but imo the guy who really deserves the credit may be Shingo Takagi (due to the hot matches he produced), and he's not signed with them sooo we'll see if it sustains.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Mon May 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Irving wrote:NJPW 4 shows @ Korakuen att 5927 avg 1481.75

AJPW 3 shows @ Korakuen att 4900 avg 1633.33

All Japan drew about 150 more fans in April. The press are touting this as a return of the "big two". All in all it's pretty exciting to see what a shot in the arm the tour was, but imo the guy who really deserves the credit may be Shingo Takagi (due to the hot matches he produced), and he's not signed with them sooo we'll see if it sustains.
I've seen this comparison being thrown around a lot, but I think it's being kinda overblown. I mean, we are comparing the final 3 nights of AJPW's biggest tournament with shows main evented by David Finlay, Jr. tags and elimination matches. Apples and oranges.

Irving

Post by Irving » Mon May 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Ok, again, let me put this into context.

This goes back to the Keiji Muto era. The 2003 Champion Carnival drew so poorly that when they ran the 2004 edition Muto flat out told the press that if 2004 didn't perform well they would no longer run the tournament. Couple that with how badly they drew from 2004 - 2010, and then 2013 - 2015, and every scandal in between to go from the brink of closure amidst mass exodus', injuries, and poor management it's making press in Japan. Regardless to who ran what in terms of the cards, for All Japan to beat New Japan in ANYTHING is why it made the press today and why I translated it.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2018 ... -dal-fight

Even in the article they state they aren't comparing, just pointing out it happened and also contribute a lot of the sales to outside factors such as fans from Dragon Gate (Shingo), ZERO1 (Raideen), and NOAH (Marufuji) to helping out greatly. It's not a knock to New Japan, but it is okay to celebrate other companies' growth.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Mon May 07, 2018 10:09 pm

Irving wrote:Ok, again, let me put this into context.

This goes back to the Keiji Muto era. The 2003 Champion Carnival drew so poorly that when they ran the 2004 edition Muto flat out told the press that if 2004 didn't perform well they would no longer run the tournament. Couple that with how badly they drew from 2004 - 2010, and then 2013 - 2015, and every scandal in between to go from the brink of closure amidst mass exodus', injuries, and poor management it's making press in Japan. Regardless to who ran what in terms of the cards, for All Japan to beat New Japan in ANYTHING is why it made the press today and why I translated it.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=2018 ... -dal-fight

Even in the article they state they aren't comparing, just pointing out it happened and also contribute a lot of the sales to outside factors such as fans from Dragon Gate (Shingo), ZERO1 (Raideen), and NOAH (Marufuji) to helping out greatly. It's not a knock to New Japan, but it is okay to celebrate other companies' growth.
That's completely fair, and I'm very very happy to see All Japan grow personally. I've just seen people exaggerate on what this means elsewhere, so I pointed that out.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sat May 12, 2018 10:18 pm

AJPW TV being a thing is weird to get used to, lmao. There was a liveshow today in Okinawa that had a decent Aoki/Maruyama title match and another one tomorrow with Akiyama vs masked Yohei Nakajima. There are 8 shows making tape this month but none of them will have Survival Tobita capturing the GAORA TV Title, shame!

Anyways, here are the notable matches for this tour. AJPW TV only releases the schedule monthly and the tour bleeds into next month but I'm still gonna list what I think will make tape:

5/12 (LIVE)- World Junior Title: Atsushi Aoki (c) vs. Atsushi Maruyama
5/13 (LIVE)- GAORA TV Title: Jun Akiyama (c) vs. Menso~re Oyaji
5/21 (DELAY)- Kento Miyahara, Yoshitatsu, & Naoya Nomura vs. Zeus, The Bodyguard, & Joe Doering (this shit just looks fun)
5/24 (LIVE)- Kotaro Suzuki & Osamu Nishimura vs. Keiichi Sato & Masa Fuchi.
5/24 (LIVE)- Jake Lee's Return: Jake Lee & Koji Iwamoto vs. Yoshitatsu & Naoya Nomura.
5/24 (LIVE)- Triple Crown Championship: Kento Miyahara (c) vs. Naomichi Marufuji
5/26 (DELAY)- Kento Miyahara, Yoshitatsu, & Naoya Nomura vs. Jake Lee, Joe Doering, & Koji Iwamoto
5/27 (DELAY)- Kento Miyahara, Yoshitatsu, & Naoya Nomura vs. Jake Lee, Dylan James, & Koji Iwamoto
5/31 (DELAY)- Kento, Yoshi, Nomura vs. Jake Lee, Ryouji Sai, & Dylan James
6/3 (?)- Masakatsu Funaki 33rd Anniversary: Masakatsu Funaki, Suwama, & Hikaru Sato vs. Jun Akiyama, Kendo Kashin, & Black Tiger VII
6/3 (?)- World Tag-Titles: Ryouji Sai & Dylan James (c) vs. KAI & TAJIRI
6/5 (?)- Differ Memorial: Atsushi Aoki vs. Kotaro Suzuki (non-title as-of now)
6/5 (?)- Differ Memorial: Jun Akiyama & Takao Omori vs. Tamon Honda & Masao Inoue
6/5 (?)- Yuma Aoyagi Return: Kento, Yuma, Naoya, & Yoshi vs. Lee, Ryouji, Dylan James, & Iwamoto
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri May 18, 2018 7:41 pm

Been wanting to ask this for a while of the old school AJPW fans, but how much inspiration did Baba's AJPW have with sumo wrestling, in terms of presentation and the like?

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Fri May 18, 2018 9:07 pm

The dojo system of AJPW is influenced by the sumo heya system. The way they handle factions is similar to as sumo stables (partially)these days. Similar to defunct SWS.

Baba loved sumo guys and many workers used to be sumos.