King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
pol

Re: King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Post by pol » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:45 am

If Kondo was winning he wouldn't have beaten Aoki in the blocks (wouldn't have been in the same block as him). AJPW booking is pretty predictable when it comes to guys getting their wins back.

WalkKingsRoad

Post by WalkKingsRoad » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Agreed, guess having Kondo win the junior league to challenge in Saitama is a good business move to try and get more numbers, which of course completely makes sense. Would rather have Iwamoto as the guy who defends All Japan from a former talent and invader, instead of Aoki but oh well.

WalkKingsRoad

Post by WalkKingsRoad » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:18 pm

Looking at the Carnival undercards and I think I see Josh Bodom challenging Aoki for the junior title at the Carnival finals, he's basically in every match against Aoki. So I see him beating Iwamoto in Saitama and doing just this.

pol

Post by pol » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:46 am

AJPW TV launches on the 19th. It's free until April and the big Saitama show on the 25th of this month will be streamed live. Every Champion Carnival show will be uploaded, with the 4/7 (opener), 4/15, 4/20, 4/21, 4/22, 4/25, 4/29, and 4/30 (final) shows being streamed live.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:49 am

History question, but does anyone know what the AJPW junior division was looking like in 1999/2000. I know there was Ogawa, Fuchi, Kanemaru, Kakihara, KENTA and Marufuji, and that occasionally Hayabusa wandered in with Jinsei Shinzaki for All-Asia Tag Team matches, but was that about it or did some of the veterans just bulk up in the NOAH era when they were juniors in AJPW?

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:27 pm

Danwaka wrote:History question, but does anyone know what the AJPW junior division was looking like in 1999/2000. I know there was Ogawa, Fuchi, Kanemaru, Kakihara, KENTA and Marufuji, and that occasionally Hayabusa wandered in with Jinsei Shinzaki for All-Asia Tag Team matches, but was that about it or did some of the veterans just bulk up in the NOAH era when they were juniors in AJPW?
Around that time was when they were building up Mossman (Taiyo Kea) as a junior prospect and he won the belt on August 22 1997 and he held it into June 98. Then it went vacant for a bit and Ogawa held it up until the split. Ogawa was definitely one of if not the centerpiece to the junior division in that era

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:56 am

PKThree wrote:
Danwaka wrote:History question, but does anyone know what the AJPW junior division was looking like in 1999/2000. I know there was Ogawa, Fuchi, Kanemaru, Kakihara, KENTA and Marufuji, and that occasionally Hayabusa wandered in with Jinsei Shinzaki for All-Asia Tag Team matches, but was that about it or did some of the veterans just bulk up in the NOAH era when they were juniors in AJPW?
Around that time was when they were building up Mossman (Taiyo Kea) as a junior prospect and he won the belt on August 22 1997 and he held it into June 98. Then it went vacant for a bit and Ogawa held it up until the split. Ogawa was definitely one of if not the centerpiece to the junior division in that era
Yeah, that's the one thing I know about the era from wikipedia. Do you know if there were any other juniors from that time? Looking on cagematch it seems like it was very quiet overall.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:11 pm

All the boys looking fresh for Champion Carnival.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:05 pm

During the CC press meeting, Marufuji expressed interest in beating Jun in his block. Kento however vowed to win it all.

Yoshitatsu said (interview before the CC meeting) he wants to face Kento in the Finals. He went on to talk about NJPW 90's and AJPW 90's and how business is different today. How most Feds these days do a version of 4 kings wrestling. But he doesn't want to do the same.

WalkKingsRoad

Post by WalkKingsRoad » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:53 am

I can definitely see Marufuji vs Akiyama at Korakuen popping a big number and having a meaningful match where if Naomichi wins he's in the finals. I think it's gonna be Marufuji vs Miyahara but the more I think about it I want a Marufuji carnival win then a big title match between Miyahara and Marufuji.

pol

Post by pol » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:19 pm

All the evidence says to me that Kento wins the belt tomorrow and Marufuji wins the carnival. Probably a Joe vs. Marufuji final.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:35 pm

2,257 in attendance for today's show in Saitama apparently. Missed some of it because I was watching through work, but I had a good bit of fun. Crowd mics needed work, though.

obliterati

Post by obliterati » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:14 pm

This was my first AJPW show in some time. Do they normally have that set-up with the crowd so far away from the ring? I loved everything after intermission but was very underwhelmed by the first half of the show. Is that typical, or will those matches offer more of interest as I get familiar with different personalities? Thanks for humoring the newbie.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:26 pm

obliterati wrote:This was my first AJPW show in some time. Do they normally have that set-up with the crowd so far away from the ring? I loved everything after intermission but was very underwhelmed by the first half of the show. Is that typical, or will those matches offer more of interest as I get familiar with different personalities? Thanks for humoring the newbie.
The distance between the crowd and the ring was an effect of the venue. The undercard is usually nothing compared to the top of the card but as you get used to the personalities it goes up in entertainment value even if it doesn't do much for the storylines and such outside of tournament finals and such where they might run semi finals in the undercard

obliterati

Post by obliterati » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Are the All Asia Tag Titles strictly 4 tha dadz?