King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
mrjoshdude

Re: King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Post by mrjoshdude » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:56 pm

On a show where we saw a New Japan wrestler team with an All Japan wrestler to win some tag belts, we also saw a NOAH wrestler and a Dragon Gate wrestler announced for the Champion Carnival. This, on top of the regular guests All Japan gets from DDT and BJW, and you have to be looking at AJPW right now as the centre of Japanese pro wrestling. They're working in some capacity with basically every promotion in Japan right now. And it's a wonderful thing too when the result of that is lineups like we're seeing here for the Champion Carnival. All Japan really is the place to be right now for puro fans moving forward.

And speaking of the Champion Carnival, with Naomichi Marufuji's entry this year, he becomes the 9th man in history to compete in the G1 Climax, the Champion Carnival, and NOAH's Global League. The other 8 are Jun Akiyama, Kensuke Sasaki, Yoshihiro Takayama, Yutaka Yoshie, Yuji Nagata, Go Shiozaki, Satoshi Kojima, and Katsuhiko Nakajima.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:31 pm

mrjoshdude wrote:On a show where we saw a New Japan wrestler team with an All Japan wrestler to win some tag belts, we also saw a NOAH wrestler and a Dragon Gate wrestler announced for the Champion Carnival. This, on top of the regular guests All Japan gets from DDT and BJW, and you have to be looking at AJPW right now as the centre of Japanese pro wrestling. They're working in some capacity with basically every promotion in Japan right now. And it's a wonderful thing too when the result of that is lineups like we're seeing here for the Champion Carnival. All Japan really is the place to be right now for puro fans moving forward.

And speaking of the Champion Carnival, with Naomichi Marufuji's entry this year, he becomes the 9th man in history to compete in the G1 Climax, the Champion Carnival, and NOAH's Global League. The other 8 are Jun Akiyama, Kensuke Sasaki, Yoshihiro Takayama, Yutaka Yoshie, Yuji Nagata, Go Shiozaki, Satoshi Kojima, and Katsuhiko Nakajima.
Another fun tidbit with Maru is that he is doing his Carnival debut in the same year that he celebrates 20 years as a wrestler. Debuted in 98 in All Japan. Weird how life works some times

WalkKingsRoad

Post by WalkKingsRoad » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:53 pm

Very interesting news and developments coming out of Yokohama. Carnival lineup looks awesome, I'm all for giving Dylan James a shot to become a regular guy, hes a big big gaijin who could team up with Joe Doering very nicely. Streaming service is very cool albeit expected, everyone else has one. I agree with the thought that All Japan is thee place to be for a fan, you just get a good mix of everything, glad to see.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:15 pm

Stray Igf Corps vs Evolution and Sato. Not sure if Sato will rejoin evolution. Yusuke Okada joined.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:07 am

All Japan is a weird one for me right now. I generally really love the tops of their cards and the talent they have, and the way that they use the top four in Ishikawa, Kento, SUWAMA and Doering, especially in the tag division. The mid-card is also generally really good and they consistently seem to elevate talent like KAI or Zeus or even Yoshitatsu in ways that are fun to watch and keep following along.

But at the same time, the Junior division is unfortunately mostly a mess it seems like, and a lot of the big cards, while good, I feel like could have better pacing and just a better form to them I guess. Some matches that should be "get in, get out" drag on unnecessarily on the undercards even though they are booked pretty well in terms of whatever stories they are looking to develop. I hate to throw up this comparison because it might make some people mad, but I just wish All Japan took a look at the structure of W-1 shows where virtually nothing on the undercard has a shot of being long in the tooth, reserving all the time for the title matches. As much as I love my man Fuchi dropping a resthold on some Land's End geek, that kind of match need not go longer than 5 mins.

I watched this Saturday's entire show and the undercard did feel like an endurance test; had I not been talking to a friend about it I might've not been able to last long. The top of the card was so good, though! I loved both of the tag matches, Jr championship match was whatever, and the main event, while nothing blow away, did what it needed. It gave KAI a shot to show what he had while also just continuing to establish Joe as the big monster who won't be easily beat, even by the very best in this company (I love you Kento but you're dead I'm sorry). I am so hyped about Joe as champion right now.

I was rooting for Nomura and his tag partner but I think Uncle Jun and Nagata will have a fun little run until one of Nomura's buddies recovers enough to challenge again. And Violent Giants vs TatsuKento was fucking great. People keep calling up the December match but I think this was better: in the Dec match Tatsu would do dumb Tatsu things like let go of a hold in the middle of the ring when he had SUWAMA twelve seconds from tapping out. In this match he only let go of the hold after Shuji kicked him enough. Little details like this make me hopeful for Tatsu's future.

Shingo and Marufuji are awesome additions to CC, which I'll def keep a closer eye on this year. Shingo especially.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:24 am

Dragonzombie wrote:Stray Igf Corps vs Evolution and Sato. Not sure if Sato will rejoin evolution. Yusuke Okada joined.
Sato apparently said in a backstage interview that he is not back in Evolution, but that he will team with Suwama again to defend AJPW's honour. Logically this will be part of the build for most of this program

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:30 pm

I'm with Suplexberry in that the undercard of this show was a real drag. Yokohama Bunka is a vacuum so putting a ten-minute Fuchi match in it surrounded by a pretty unmemorable undercard wasn't a good call. Feels like these undercards are getting longer and longer which, I mean they're undercards so they're not a big deal, but they're feeling less breezy to get through imo. They used to feel like how she described W1 undercards -
short and generally not much of a chance that a match gets long in the tooth. Admittedly, I was left pretty disappointed by the opener. The opening junior matches are usually decent watches and putting Kotaro/Keiichi/Koji/Yusuke in it seemed like a good recipe but I don't remember anything from that match.

Whatever they got planned for shoot fighting legends NOSAWA & Kashin and their geek friend Fujita (I couldn't type that with a straight face) I trust won't be as bad as some are expecting. Maybe a small run at the upper card before descending and ultimately going away. Maybe this is small detour disguised as something major to pass the time until the next big Suwama push, probably when Shuji is done with his big BJW/DDT commitments. I am interested in how Yusuke and Hikaru develop; Hikaru always bored me in-ring but the system always finds a way to keep me interested in his character with this kind of writing. I'm curous about where this wonky partnership with Suwama goes, but AJPW's got a lot of trust from me so I'm optimistic here.

One last note (I think): Apparently people are saying that the AJPW TV service will for sure be available sometime next month. If that's the case, I'm going to be a very busy boy in April. A small thing I'm hoping for is the GROWIN' UP shows make their way on there via VoD but smaller CC shows going up instantly is more than enough to keep me happy.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:59 pm

suplexberry wrote:But at the same time, the Junior division is unfortunately mostly a mess it seems like, and a lot of the big cards, while good, I feel like could have better pacing and just a better form to them I guess. Some matches that should be "get in, get out" drag on unnecessarily on the undercards even though they are booked pretty well in terms of whatever stories they are looking to develop. I hate to throw up this comparison because it might make some people mad, but I just wish All Japan took a look at the structure of W-1 shows where virtually nothing on the undercard has a shot of being long in the tooth, reserving all the time for the title matches. As much as I love my man Fuchi dropping a resthold on some Land's End geek, that kind of match need not go longer than 5 mins.
Normally AJPW's shows are paced just like that and it's one thing I love about it. The undercard usually goes just like you described, the nothing matches get in and get out in 5 minutes or so and most of the time is devoted to the top matches. This show was definitely an exception to that rule though as I got pissed that the Fuchi/Dragon match just wouldn't end even though I love those guys. But most of the time they do it right.

The opener got me hopeful that Iwamoto wins the BATTLE OF GLORY again, this time over Kondo. I don't think he needs to win the belt off of Aoki right away, although I believe if he doesn't then he still needs to win it before the year ends. It would be some nice progression if he just bulldozed through everything, as last year he may have won but he got really lucky, as there were thousands of draws and whatnot, Koji only won two matches in the whole tournament to advance. If he gets wins over TAJIRI on the final day, Kondo to win the tournament, Aoki to win the belt, then defenses against Sato and Suzuki, we would be in for a very good year for the Jrs I think. Something along those lines.

Kikuchi/Kobashi interactions were very fun. We all need more of Wholesome Zeus in our lives, I believe. That Carnival looks absolutely great. I'm very happy to see Shingo and Marufuji in it. I haven't heard one bad thing about Yuji Hino, so it seems like it was a good choice to put him in there, even if I've never seen him. Does anyone have any recommendations of good Hino matches? I'd like to watch some stuff. I believe Raideen has some potential and hope he does very well. Yoshitatsu has to prove himself here. Yoshie is really the closest to a weak link in the whole thing and, hey, he's alright. It would be great to see Yuma there though.

I'm all in on AJPW TV. I'll sign up the day it comes out. I'm very happy that they have reached a point where this is feasible. Hopefully everything works out and the service is awesome (i.e. they upload everything relatively quickly; that's all I ask for). English subtitles would be welcomed, but I don't think we're getting that. It's fine in this case.

All Asia Tag match was awesome, as expected. I'm very happy that Jun and Yuji won and hopefully Nagata can get a couple defenses in (I mean, let's be honest, NJPW isn't gonna do anything with him, throw us a bone Gedo!). Nomura is a fantastic underdog. I got to see Sai and Nagata kicking each other, so I'm happy.

I think I enjoy TAJIRI more than most people at this point, but he shouldn't have been Jr. Champ for this long (or at all, really, looking back at it). Just one flat match after another. He fits in great as a wacky undercard guy and he should get to challenge here and there in a Yano-like situation where, we all know he sucks, but if he gets you with the mist (in Yano's case we're talking about the low blow/shitty roll up combo obviously) that's it, but he shouldn't be pushed like he was. It really just made the whole division look bad. That said, I didn't get the one spot I wanted in this match (Aoki no-selling mist due to the mask) so I'm pissed. It was a two-star special, but at least we got the end of the story with someone finally kicking out of the mist/kick combo and winning. Fine.

World Tag Team title match was also awesome. Suwama and Ishikawa just can't have a bad match, them kicking the shit out of people is always great. The table spot from Suwama was awesome, and that Ligerbomb may have been the greatest Powerbomb I've ever seen. Great action. Kento and Tatsu winning makes sense given Shuji is busy, but... I figured they'd want to have a tag title defense in Saitama, but I don't see it with Kento in the main event. Maybe the Big Guns win the belts in Osaka? I don't know. I did like the Fujita angle, I guess we're in for a 6 man? Not sure how good that's gonna be, but I'm fine with the idea. Where did the Fujita/Suwama heat start? I'm curious.

The main event was a good match, but nothing special. I don't know. I felt like they were going to have a great match with Joe being a monster and KAI an awesome underdog, but it just never reached that next level. Fine match though. Joe vs Kento is the correct match to go to next, and I think it's gonna be great. I'm thinking Joe retains, with Kento getting a rematch in the big August show (Chiba?).

WalkKingsRoad

Post by WalkKingsRoad » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:51 am

Really hoping they can pop a big number in Saitama with Joe v Kento in March. Maybe this Kashin/Fujita tag match against Suwama and friends will bring a few more butts in. I'm kind of thinking Zeus & Bodyguard win the belts at the end of February from YoshiKen so they can have a title match in Saitama as well.

rollup

Post by rollup » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:13 am

it will be kinda of hard for the saitama show to compete against the DDT judgement with Shuji and other other guest stars loading up the sumo show.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:08 am

Suwama wants to retire Fujita. (This is angle stuf)

Anyway Sai's belt

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:46 pm

Love the booking here even when the shows are underwhelming (Yokohama). 99.9% sure I'm subbing to tell service, only caveat is if it gets horrendous reviews like BJW Core.

I am going to eat up Carnival like I'm starving to death. That A block, guys. But there is enough in the B to keep that interesting. I think I prefer unbalanced blocks. Keep most of the dead weight together, even if it means only 4-6 potential bangers in a given block, if it means we get a block like the A here and some of the loaded G1 blocks we've seen

rollup

Post by rollup » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:56 pm

they are doing some live shows with the streaming service right ? i have some hope that it will be much better than the BJW core service

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:06 pm

rollup wrote:they are doing some live shows with the streaming service right ? i have some hope that it will be much better than the BJW core service
AJPW TV will have livestreaming per the reveal announcement. So hopefully it is based more on DDT Universe than Core

WalkKingsRoad

Post by WalkKingsRoad » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:22 am

With that Carnival lineup and the announcement of live shows, that's a pretty great start for people to dive into AJPW watching those CC singles matches.