King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
Irving

Re: King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Post by Irving » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:41 pm

Everyone knew guys like KAI, Soya, Sanada, and BUSHI were going to be awesome, they all left before it paid off. Sanada was doing the clean face clean wrestling gimmick which I always thought was a bad fit the guy's an athletic heel. Soya took off after his run with Riki Chohsu into GET WILD being extremely popular. KAI was really amazing when he returned in 2013, but of course W1 ruined that. His CC Semi with Go was one of my favorite matches that year. BUSHI was really good really fast but needed a machine like NJ to make that character as popular as he became.

Kono is different, perfectly capable of having good matches but something missing. All of his encounters with Suwama are epic as they just dissolve into wild 80's style brawls with tables and chairs flying everywhere.

Had All Japan been able to hold onto that crop of guys plus maybe Hiroshi Yamato they'd definitely be in the running for #2 right now.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:00 pm

kingpin26 wrote:
If they add Fuminori Abe and Taishi Takizawa is this a sign that Akiyama is turning a better profit or is it a sign that they don't have a new trainees ready for the next year and they want some fresh young talent to liven up the shows.
Bit of column A, bit of column B. 2 out of 3 rookies that signed up this year left for one reason or another (probably got cold feet). But if you have the money and ability to bring in new young talent that your fanbase reacts to, why not?

kingpin26

Post by kingpin26 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:49 pm

PKThree wrote:
kingpin26 wrote:
If they add Fuminori Abe and Taishi Takizawa is this a sign that Akiyama is turning a better profit or is it a sign that they don't have a new trainees ready for the next year and they want some fresh young talent to liven up the shows.
Bit of column A, bit of column B. 2 out of 3 rookies that signed up this year left for one reason or another (probably got cold feet). But if you have the money and ability to bring in new young talent that your fanbase reacts to, why not?
I don't follow NOAH at all but i was wondering with the new ownership if there might a concern by Akiyama that they scoop up guys like Abe and Takizawa with Suzuki and his group probably headed back to New Japan and NOAH needing to fill up the roster.

Irving

Post by Irving » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm not sure why Abe wouldn't be snatched up the guy gets great crowd reaction and shows a willingness to want to be there. I'd make Iwamoto and Abe the priority over Takizawa at the moment.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:16 pm

kingpin26 wrote: I don't follow NOAH at all but i was wondering with the new ownership if there might a concern by Akiyama that they scoop up guys like Abe and Takizawa with Suzuki and his group probably headed back to New Japan and NOAH needing to fill up the roster.
I don't think All Japan is really fearing losing guys to NOAH, they have a good thing going and are actually making money. Abe is going to go where Iwamoto goes unless Uchida basically kidnaps him. And Takizawa is friends with Kento and loyal to him. Akiyama has spent his time running the company setting up a crew that is loyal to him and wants to work for All Japan.

NOAH will have their work cut out for them where it comes to recruiting, they rubbed people the wrong way when they dropped all their freelancers.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:10 pm

Why exactly are Takizawa and Miyahara so close? Bonded over bullshit bullying from Nakajima or something? And what freelancers did NOAH just drop back then?

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:13 pm

Danwaka wrote:Why exactly are Takizawa and Miyahara so close? Bonded over bullshit bullying from Nakajima or something? And what freelancers did NOAH just drop back then?
Can anybody elaborate on this nakajima bullying? I've heard rumors about it, but never an actual full story.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:20 pm

Danwaka wrote:Why exactly are Takizawa and Miyahara so close? Bonded over bullshit bullying from Nakajima or something? And what freelancers did NOAH just drop back then?
Miyahara and Takizawa broke in together at roughly the same time, Takizawa worked a few Kensuke Office and NOAH shows with Kento, they were a tag team together and also part of Voodoo Murders.

As for NOAH, they stopped using among others Strong BJ, Masato Tanaka and a couple of guys from DDT to fatten their junior division when SZKG came in.

elloziom wrote: Can anybody elaborate on this nakajima bullying? I've heard rumors about it, but never an actual full story.
Nakajima was in charge of training Kento for Kensuke Sasaki, basically treated him like shit for most of his training and was rougher than needed with him. Kento stood up to him when he felt that enough was enough and that caused a rift between him and Nakajima/Sasaki. Kento left Kensuke Office and NOAH, and eventually made his way to All Japan to work under Akiyama who always treated him well. Icing on the cake is that the rejected Sasaki pupil was the first to become a world champion.

That's basically the bullet points of it from what I have managed to gather.

Superkix

Post by Superkix » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:33 pm

Can't wait for the epic Miyahara/Nakajima feud in 2018.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:37 pm

Danwaka wrote:For anyone who was watching pre-Shiraishi, could you describe the guys like Manabu Soya, Seiya Sanada, KAI and Masayuki Kono? I know we all go gaga for Sanada and Joe shits on KAI till kingdom come, but how were they all back then?
I shit on current day KAI, who is terrible.

KAI was a hot prospect and a peer to Hiroshi Yamato early, and then it looked like KAI & Sanada were going to be the future later. They all ended up in W1, and again it was KAI & Sanada who they looked to build around. KAI beat Sanada on the debut show, and Sanada was sent away on an American excursion. You know how things have gone with KAI since.

KAI lost me with his terrible W1 title run a couple of years ago, and his heatless matches with Hideki Suzuki. Devolving into a poor Onita/Ambrose hybrid with his cringe jumping jacks gimmick killed him dead in my eyes. He's one of the small handful of wrestlers I actively can not stand watching, to the point I skip him entirely.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:44 pm

Irving wrote:Everyone knew guys like KAI, Soya, Sanada, and BUSHI were going to be awesome, they all left before it paid off. Sanada was doing the clean face clean wrestling gimmick which I always thought was a bad fit the guy's an athletic heel. Soya took off after his run with Riki Chohsu into GET WILD being extremely popular. KAI was really amazing when he returned in 2013, but of course W1 ruined that. His CC Semi with Go was one of my favorite matches that year. BUSHI was really good really fast but needed a machine like NJ to make that character as popular as he became.

Kono is different, perfectly capable of having good matches but something missing. All of his encounters with Suwama are epic as they just dissolve into wild 80's style brawls with tables and chairs flying everywhere.

Had All Japan been able to hold onto that crop of guys plus maybe Hiroshi Yamato they'd definitely be in the running for #2 right now.
Just out of curiosity (or further curiosity, rather!), but who did people think was gonna wind up the new ace? I know Sanada is such a lock in hindsight, but...
Joe Lanza wrote:I shit on current day KAI, who is terrible.

KAI was a hot prospect and a peer to Hiroshi Yamato early, and then it looked like KAI & Sanada were going to be the future later. They all ended up in W1, and again it was KAI & Sanada who they looked to build around. KAI beat Sanada on the debut show, and Sanada was sent away on an American excursion. You know how things have gone with KAI since.

KAI lost me with his terrible W1 title run a couple of years ago, and his heatless matches with Hideki Suzuki. Devolving into a poor Onita/Ambrose hybrid with his cringe jumping jacks gimmick killed him dead in my eyes. He's one of the small handful of wrestlers I actively can not stand watching, to the point I skip him entirely.
Heh, just joshing you Joe. We've talked KAI before on twitter, IIRC. Same question as above, though.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:45 pm

Superkix wrote:Can't wait for the epic Miyahara/Nakajima feud in 2018.
Considering they refuse to be in the same room you better push that feud back a couple of years.

Irving

Post by Irving » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:48 pm

That's sad, you couldn't tell me KAI wasn't going to be what Miyahara has ended up being after watching the 2013 Champion Carnival.

Irving

Post by Irving » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:49 pm

Danwaka wrote:
Irving wrote:Everyone knew guys like KAI, Soya, Sanada, and BUSHI were going to be awesome, they all left before it paid off. Sanada was doing the clean face clean wrestling gimmick which I always thought was a bad fit the guy's an athletic heel. Soya took off after his run with Riki Chohsu into GET WILD being extremely popular. KAI was really amazing when he returned in 2013, but of course W1 ruined that. His CC Semi with Go was one of my favorite matches that year. BUSHI was really good really fast but needed a machine like NJ to make that character as popular as he became.

Just out of curiosity (or further curiosity, rather!), but who did people think was gonna wind up the new ace? I know Sanada is such a lock in hindsight, but...
Takumi Soya

pol

Post by pol » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:51 pm

Miyahara and Nakajima have both called each other out recently. If the AJPW/NOAH relationship was such that a feud was a possibility, I have no doubt that they'd both be willing to do business for the good of their respective companies.