King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
pol

Re: King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Post by pol » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:40 am

PKThree wrote:Just watched the post match comments from one of the carnival shows. And there seems to be a couple of new sponsors on the sponsor wall.
Apart from NicoNico (the ppv provider) there's something called the Niko Niko group (they've been a sponsor for a while).
Something called Diversity Media and something with a blue on white logo with the initials ICT.
What exactly Diversity Media is and what the ICT company is I have not found out by googling. I found an American company called Diversity media, but I think its fair to say that the company sponsoring/funding AJPW are Japanese.

Any of you super sleuths who feel up for the task?
http://www.diversitymedia.jp/
http://www.ictnet.jp/

Looks like they're both some kind of cable TV (and other stuff) services?

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:47 am

pol wrote:
http://www.diversitymedia.jp/
http://www.ictnet.jp/

Looks like they're both some kind of cable TV (and other stuff) services?
Looks like decent sponsors to have. One seems like a regular Cable/internet provider and the other is also moving into VOD.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:45 am

aivaz wrote:Was trying to go through some All Japan from last year because I stopped watching for a while, and most of it is gone, same for a lot of 2014 stuff.

I suppose this applies to BJW, DDT etc as well, but is this all completely lost? Did anyone save a good portion of it? 2013 and before is still well covered. The last two years are half-intact, the other half is a wasteland of suspended accounts and dead torrents.
All on Suckmet

pol

Post by pol » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:50 pm

Maybe I'm being a fanboy but I thought the latest Nomura/Miyahara, at all of 11 minutes, was a borderline MOTYC. Fantastic match. I feel like we're seeing the beginnings of a classic rivalry here.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:17 pm

pol wrote:Maybe I'm being a fanboy but I thought the latest Nomura/Miyahara, at all of 11 minutes, was a borderline MOTYC. Fantastic match. I feel like we're seeing the beginnings of a classic rivalry here.
I popped big at Nomura trying the same bumrush tactic at the start that he used to get early offense in back in March, only to eat a big boot to the face

aivaz

Post by aivaz » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:29 pm

On first watch, this most recent Akiyama/Miyahara match has shades of a New Japan sprint. I can see big fans of NJ really liking it.

It's a fun watch, but for me, Miyahara no selling an exploder to ZERO reacion isn't why I watch All Japan, or what makes them different. There are a couple of moments like that which really dragged this down personally.

Nomura/Miyahara was very good.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:37 pm

What do we make of the Nico setup now that we've got a few shows?

I'm okay with the one camera rig, gives off a bit of an old school feel.
Bit bummed at the crowds not being miced but I guess that is a budget issue on AJPW/Nico's part and I guess it is something that will be worked on over time.
You can see on some of these carnival shows that the crowds are invested and making noise, but the bad/lack of mic rig makes them come off as dead.

As for Kento vs Jun: Personal MOTYC for me. Loved it. The no sell on the exploder didn't even register for me but that's one of those moments when the lack of mics came back to haunt them. Because you see the crowd reacting, but you don't hear that much

Superkix

Post by Superkix » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:56 pm

I thought Akiyama's final angry knee rush was the best part of that match leading to the exclamation point finish. I much preferred Miyahara/Nomura to this though. Sekimoto/Nomura was okay but nothing really stood out.

pol

Post by pol » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:41 pm

The no-sell of the exploder didn't stand out to me. That's how guys always sell it - it's just never been presented as a particularly strong move. Miyahara's signature 'no sell a superplex' spot is far more annoying to me.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Standings going into tomorrows live finals!

pol

Post by pol » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:32 pm

Jake Lee has improved on this tour. The value of working a bunch of singles matches in quick succession I guess.

Superkix

Post by Superkix » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:51 pm

The Mashimo/Akiyama match from 4/18 was pretty great.

pol

Post by pol » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:56 am

Well, the one thing I was most sure wouldn't happen happened :P

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:59 am

Haven't seen any CC. Match recommendations?

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:14 am

So.... Who gets the title shot at 5/25? Will they roll out the Sekimoto rematch already or save it for some time this summer?
We have Seki, Kengo and Akiyama as clear contenders out of the A block. As well as guys like Sai and Zeus with strong showings in block B who could get a shot.

I'm leaning towards Kengo myself.