King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
PKThree

Re: King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Post by PKThree » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:46 am

aivaz wrote:Are all the Champions Carnival matches being aired somewhere? Sorry if it's said a couple of pages back but I couldn't find it. Some really good cards it would be a shame for them to not turn up.
All Carnival shows will air on 24 hour tape delay on niconico except the opening day and the final, which will air on tv. Somehow Gaora decided to air the opening show after samurai airs the final

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:24 pm

And the final airs LIVE on Sunday the 24th, so set your alarm for that!

pol

Post by pol » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:45 pm

I'm leaning towards a Miyahara win. I'm undoubtedly influenced somewhat by that being what I want to see happen. I thought a Miyahara/Doering or Sekimoto/Doering final with Doering winning was likely, but then what happened happened, so...

Don't see Sekimoto winning as he's an outsider. Don't see Zeus or Omori as both just had TC matches.

So through process of elimination it pretty much has to be Akiyama or Miyahara. I think Akiyama tends towards not putting himself over in situations like this, though I know he's booked himself to win in the past. That Miyahara drew with Mashimo, clearly setting up a future title match, says to me that they need future title matches set up by other means because one won't be set up by the CC winner itself. So could see him being 1 or 2 points ahead of Sekimoto on finals day and drawing there too in order to advance.

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:55 pm

I think if Miyahara can get a solid win over Sekimoto on that finals day, and then lose in the final later in the same night, he'll still look pretty strong.

An alternative route is to have Miyahara already qualified going into the finals show, but build a narrative of him having to fight Sekimoto before his finals match, which he's already qualified for. Sekimoto can beat Miyahara but Miyahara can rebound with a win in the final. Miyahara looks strong as the CC winner and has Sekimoto set up as a challenger for a big show. It's a weird booking scenario but i'm just putting it out there as a possibility.

I'm leaning towards Akiyama more & more. I know he doesn't want to put himself over, but it IS really the smart choice.

Irving

Post by Irving » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:13 pm

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Akiyama win over Sekimoto in the final either. Miyahara has potential challenges against Sekimoto, Ishikawa, and Mashimo. He beats all of them and takes on Akiyama and finally gets the big singles win he's been chasing. Who's next? Big Boss Suwama at Sumo Hall.

Also saw clips of 4/9 and 4/10 and didn't see anyone new. I saw Omori, SUSHI, Nomura, Jake, Yohei, and Aoyagi working ringside. There's a guy who All Japan has been using since the Muto era to do ring duties when they don't have enough and his name escapes me (the bald head guy), but again he just does ringside and behind the scenes stuff for them.

pol

Post by pol » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:24 pm

Akiyama and Sekimoto are in the same block.

That's part of the issue, with Doering gone there's nobody in block B that I can see winning.

Irving

Post by Irving » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Ah, there's no semi this year either. Atsushi Aoki deserves a shot at the final. True company player.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:51 pm

Has the Nicopro logo been on the "sponsor wall" for long and I have just missed it? Or is it a recent addition?

Seems likely that Nico and AJPW have some sort of agreement considering the amount of shows that have been on nico recently. Or am I just imagining things?

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:58 pm

I think they do yes.

Irving

Post by Irving » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:07 pm

I wonder who they've got in the sales department. They've put in over time since Akiyama became president with all of these sponsors.

pol

Post by pol » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:55 pm

Current A block point totals:

Nomura 2
Super Tiger 2
Bodyguard 4
Akiyama 4
Sekimoto 4
Miyahara 5
Mashimo 5

Considering pecking order and keeping the most guys in play on finals day, I see the next 2 stops going like this:

All Japan Pro-Wrestling “2016 Champion Carnival”, 4/22/2016 [Fri] 18:30 @ Nagoyo Rokyo Sports Center in Aichi
A BLOCK: Naoya Nomura vs. Super Tiger
A BLOCK: Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Kengo Mashimo
A BLOCK: Kento Miyahara vs. The Bodyguard

All Japan Pro-Wrestling “2016 Champion Carnival”, 4/23/2016 [Sat] 18:00 @ Okayama Prefecture Oroshi Center, Orange Hall
A BLOCK: Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Super Tiger
A BLOCK: Jun Akiyama vs. Naoya Nomura

That leaves the key players on finals day as:

Akiyama 6
Sekimoto 6
Miyahara 7
Mashimo 7

(They could also have Sekimoto lose to Super Tiger and beat Mashimo, while Mashimo beats Super Tiger on finals day, and end up with the same point totals, but that makes the Mashimo/Super Tiger match on finals day less interesting since Mashimo wouldn't be in contention. I don't think any of the other intervening results are really in much doubt.)

All Japan Pro-Wrestling “2016 Champion Carnival”, 4/24/2016 [Sun] 17:00 @ EDION Arena Osaka, 2nd Stadium
A BLOCK: Kengo Mashimo vs. Super Tiger
A BLOCK: Jun Akiyama vs. The Bodyguard
A BLOCK: Kento Miyahara vs. Daisuke Sekimoto

If Mashimo beat Super Tiger he would advance unless Miyahara also won, in which case there'd be a playoff. Neither of those outcomes seem likely so I think we can assume Mashimo loses there.

So assuming a Mashimo loss...
If Miyahara/Sekimoto has a winner, that person advances.
If Miyahara/Sekimoto goes to a draw and Akiyama wins, Akiyama advances.
If Miyahara/Sekimoto goes to a draw and Akiyama loses, Miyahara advances.

So it all comes down to whether Akiyama gets spoiled by Bodyguard basically. I'm pretty confident that one way or another, Sekimoto/Miyahara is going to a draw.

Man I love tournaments :)

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:34 pm

Remember when this tournament started and people were worried that the booking was going to make Kento look weak or be too obvious?

This seems like a real interesting tournament with on paper a lot of guys who can go through to the finals. Well done

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:22 am

Just watched the post match comments from one of the carnival shows. And there seems to be a couple of new sponsors on the sponsor wall.
Apart from NicoNico (the ppv provider) there's something called the Niko Niko group (they've been a sponsor for a while).
Something called Diversity Media and something with a blue on white logo with the initials ICT.
What exactly Diversity Media is and what the ICT company is I have not found out by googling. I found an American company called Diversity media, but I think its fair to say that the company sponsoring/funding AJPW are Japanese.

Any of you super sleuths who feel up for the task?

aivaz

Post by aivaz » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:38 am

Was trying to go through some All Japan from last year because I stopped watching for a while, and most of it is gone, same for a lot of 2014 stuff.

I suppose this applies to BJW, DDT etc as well, but is this all completely lost? Did anyone save a good portion of it? 2013 and before is still well covered. The last two years are half-intact, the other half is a wasteland of suspended accounts and dead torrents.

Oh yeah, and Kamitani is out of the Carnival with an injury. I wonder how that might change things up?

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:34 am

aivaz wrote:Was trying to go through some All Japan from last year because I stopped watching for a while, and most of it is gone, same for a lot of 2014 stuff.

I suppose this applies to BJW, DDT etc as well, but is this all completely lost? Did anyone save a good portion of it? 2013 and before is still well covered. The last two years are half-intact, the other half is a wasteland of suspended accounts and dead torrents.

Oh yeah, and Kamitani is out of the Carnival with an injury. I wonder how that might change things up?
This late in the carnival, I don't see Kamitani being injured impacting it too much. He'll be the default last man in block B. And I guess Zeus' last couple of matches become more interesting since Omori, Aoki and Yoshie gain 2 free points.