King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Talk Puro, Lucha, Europe and "I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN AUSTRALIA/PACIFIC ISLANDS/CARIBBEAN/AFRICA"
STRIGGA

Re: King's Road - The All Japan Thread

Post by STRIGGA » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:38 am

Robareid wrote:I dunno man, there's like one match that I'm genuinely really looking forward to.
Yeah, it being a heavyweight tournament is the only good thing I can say about it.
whoknew wrote:I thought the Finals between Yankee Nichokenju vs Aoki/Sato was one of the years best tag matchese in any promotion. Just great great stuff and action throughout and the finishing stretch was H.O.L.Y
Oh yeah, the match was great. Alongside Io Shirai & Mayu Iwatani vs. DASH Chisako & Sendai Sachiko from Stardom this really was one of the best tag matches of the year. I especially liked every interaction of Sato and Kodaka and want to see them face in a Hard Hit rules match now.

Sad to see that Hikaru Sato otherwise is nothing more than the guy to take the falls when he's in multi man matches.
mprentice84 wrote:Akebono vs Bob Sapp is officially announced for New Years Eve at Saitama Super Arena.
No, it's no official, but it's likely to happen.

Andy Doran

Post by Andy Doran » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:22 pm

Alan4L wrote:So what was the deal with Jake Lee being missing from 2011 to 2015? I look at him now and I see future superstar. He's shockingly reminiscent to 2009 Okada.
I'm really not a fan, but I think it's clear that they're positioning him as a big time player, and they'll keep putting him with good guys until he gets it. He always gets the biggest young lion spots, and often times gets the comebacks in tag matches. Although, I think all four of the AJPW rookies are good with potential to be great, and Keiichi Sato looked like a natural in his first match.

pol

Post by pol » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:05 am

Someone who attended told me on Twitter that they drew 1255 for today's show headlined by the Kotaro/Nakajima vs. Yankee Nichokenju All Asia tag title match. Which seems insane but hey, who am I to doubt Random Japanese Twitter Person.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:28 am

pol wrote:Someone who attended told me on Twitter that they drew 1255 for today's show headlined by the Kotaro/Nakajima vs. Yankee Nichokenju All Asia tag title match. Which seems insane but hey, who am I to doubt Random Japanese Twitter Person.
that's awesome! I don't like that narrative that All Japan draws flies. They put 2,250 into the venue for Akiyama/Akebono and have done some pretty decent Korakuen attendances - better than alot of NOAH and W1.

pol

Post by pol » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:46 am

Alan4L wrote:
pol wrote:Someone who attended told me on Twitter that they drew 1255 for today's show headlined by the Kotaro/Nakajima vs. Yankee Nichokenju All Asia tag title match. Which seems insane but hey, who am I to doubt Random Japanese Twitter Person.
that's awesome! I don't like that narrative that All Japan draws flies. They put 2,250 into the venue for Akiyama/Akebono and have done some pretty decent Korakuen attendances - better than alot of NOAH and W1.
I agree that the general narrative is unfair, but I still find that specific one a little crazy, especially when the Jr. Tag Battle of Glory finals only drew around 700 to Korakuen. Although maybe that was the show where they got rained out, I forget.

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:09 am

Alan4L wrote:
It's something people have latched into and evidence be damned they won't let it go. It's also an example of a lot of people not taking into account the venues they are running. There's nothing wrong with small numbers in small buildings; that's how you grow. It's small numbers in big buildings that are concerning.

Ozzi MichiFan

Post by Ozzi MichiFan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:52 am

Well, Kotaro Suzuki is going freelance too as of December.

STRIGGA

Post by STRIGGA » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:31 am

Alan4L wrote:
While they have drawn some better numbers in Korakuen Hall for big matches, they also have drawn less than both NOAH and W1 in the same building for other shows like the Jr. Tag Battle of Glory shows and for example 707 fans for the second day of Champion Carnival (Akiyama vs. Doering and Shiozaki vs. Suwama). This isn't only a narrative peope are making up. There are buildings in which All Japan draws well with big matches, but there are also buildings in which they draw worse than K-DOJO.

VERY interesting statement made by Kotaro Suzuki in the press conference he had with Jun Akiyama: He signed a 1 year contract at the end of July and this contract was changed TWICE since. So this is the main reason why he leaves AJPW. When asked if he's going back to NOAH like Shiozaki he said he's looking at various options.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:52 am

Fucking hell. It hurts being a fan of All Japan at times.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:14 pm

Question: This was brought up by the puroresuspirit page on FB. But do you guys think Mokoto Baba has anything to do with these contract changes and people leaving? Akiyama has taken full public responsibility, but there is a board which makes a lot of decisions for the company on which he is only one vote amongst many. And the last time Mokoto was in a position of power we got NOAH.

Any weight to this you think or am I just overthinking it and it all comes down to money?

pol

Post by pol » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:01 pm

It's an interesting idea but I'm not convinced of Motoko's ineptitude when from what I've heard the NOAH split had a lot to do with a bunch of egotistical guys not wanting to take orders from a woman, especially one who had spent years playing the bad cop to Baba's good.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:06 pm

pol wrote:It's an interesting idea but I'm not convinced of Motoko's ineptitude when from what I've heard the NOAH split had a lot to do with a bunch of egotistical guys not wanting to take orders from a woman, especially one who had spent years playing the bad cop to Baba's good.
You couldn't be more wrong. It's a well-known fact the main reason Misawa left All Japan is because he wanted to increase the pay for everyone in the company, both native and gaijin, as well as benefits, especially healthcare. He also wanted to do an interpromotional feud with New Japan, but Motoko refused that too. But as soon as Misawa & Co. left, she brought back Tenryu and did an interpromotional feud with - New Japan.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:05 pm

Alan4L wrote:
I think the narrative that they draw flies is incorrect and probably overstated (I'm probably guilty as well) but it's been very hot and cold this year. Big matches, big shows have drawn well, the others have done poorly as outlined by STRIGGA. And the small building stuff that Bill mentioned is fine but it's hard for some of these guys to make a living working super small venues. With changing contracts, inconsistent drawing and many of the top stars leaving for greener pastures, it's been a tricky year for them.

jesse

Post by jesse » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:22 pm

PKThree wrote:Question: This was brought up by the puroresuspirit page on FB. But do you guys think Mokoto Baba has anything to do with these contract changes and people leaving? Akiyama has taken full public responsibility, but there is a board which makes a lot of decisions for the company on which he is only one vote amongst many. And the last time Mokoto was in a position of power we got NOAH.

Any weight to this you think or am I just overthinking it and it all comes down to money?
Mokoto has no power on the current All Japan from what I can remember? Also don't forget that this current All Japan isn't the same company as the All Japan of the days gone by. That company is still owned by Shirashi. He lets them use the logos and branding but they're not the same. Totally different registrations. So even if this Akiyama lead All Japan folds the original company is still out there. Not running or anything but it still exists. The whole thing is a mess and you can't exactly blame someone for leaving when they're contract has changed twice within a few months.
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:25 pm

jesse wrote:
PKThree wrote:Question: This was brought up by the puroresuspirit page on FB. But do you guys think Mokoto Baba has anything to do with these contract changes and people leaving? Akiyama has taken full public responsibility, but there is a board which makes a lot of decisions for the company on which he is only one vote amongst many. And the last time Mokoto was in a position of power we got NOAH.

Mokoto has no power on the current All Japan from what I can remember? Also don't forget that this current All Japan isn't the same company as the All Japan of the days gone by. That company is still owned by Shirashi. He lets them use the logos and branding but they're not the same. Totally different registrations. So even if this Akiyama lead All Japan folds the original company is still out there. Not running or anything but it still exists. The whole thing is a mess and you can't exactly blame someone for leaving when they're contract has changed twice within a few months.
She's a senior member of the board of directors if I remember right. So even if she doesn't hold any power for herself she is part of the company decision making